Who stays. Who goes

I'm far from a fire Jim guy at the moment, but I hear nothing but excuses coming out of this press conference. Blames injuries for why the team sucked, but they were kinda bad before they got injured; that wasn't really the issue.

Also blames the "transfer culture" (my phrase, not his) for why guys are leaving, but guys are only leaving because they sucked. If you did a better job identifying talent, they wouldn't be in such a rush to transfer. And the defections we've had the last couple years aren't "up" transfers - guys that played their way to a higher level of competition - they're "down" transfers - guys that left because they couldn't hack it in the ACC. The real issue here is that we didn't bring adequate talent.

Advertisement
We need at least couple rotation players off the portal...
***** rotation players - those 3-4 portal adds have got to be at least half or majority starters next year. We don't just need rotational bodies, we need *upgrades*.

I'm far from a fire Jim guy at the moment, but I hear nothing but excuses coming out of this press conference. Blames injuries for why the team sucked, but they were kinda bad before they got injured; that wasn't really the issue.

Also blames the "transfer culture" (my phrase, not his) for why guys are leaving, but guys are only leaving because they sucked. If you did a better job identifying talent, they wouldn't be in such a rush to transfer. And the defections we've had the last couple years aren't "up" transfers - guys that played their way to a higher level of competition - they're "down" transfers - guys that left because they couldn't hack it in the ACC. The real issue here is that we didn't bring adequate talent.

Take these pressers with a grain of salt. He's not going to sit up there and explicitly state that 'xyz' kid sucked and good riddance, etc.

Grandpa schpick doesn't always work with all players. Sometimes you need to be a harda$$ disciplinarian

Advertisement

I'm far from a fire Jim guy at the moment, but I hear nothing but excuses coming out of this press conference. Blames injuries for why the team sucked, but they were kinda bad before they got injured; that wasn't really the issue

I don’t think this team was going to be great or anything, but I think it is fair to assume a team that was a) having to adjust to playing without the two primary offensive initiators from the year before and b) had some new faces would have gotten better throughout the year if not for the injuries. This team didn’t have isolation creators to just toss the ball to to play AAU style, so connectivity was going to have to be there.

I don’t think this team was going to be great or anything, but I think it is fair to assume a team that was a) having to adjust to playing without the two primary offensive initiators from the year before and b) had some new faces would have gotten better throughout the year if not for the injuries. This team didn’t have isolation creators to just toss the ball to to play AAU style, so connectivity was going to have to be there.

This team went from average to the worst Hurricane team I have seen in the last 15 years... in a hurry. Something doesn't add up

Advertisement
I watched the presser. L alluded to the current state of college athletics and players looking to take the first exit if they don't play right away or take longer to develop. There were a number of guys that looked completely checked out halfway through the year.

I keep saying the same **** all the time and every year......L is our best ever so he gets slack for years like this one. But why the F can't he fill a **** roster. Every year we have 5 players and at most 1 guy that can contribute. Every year we take decent classes, and they mostly transfer out. There is little development with young guys. Guys like the one's transferring need to be the foundation of your bench at worst......

The one caveat i"ll say is...he may be telling these kids he'll develop them into solid college players and in their minds they are stars. And that is something really difficult to overcome cause at 19, self awareness is not common.

I keep saying the same **** all the time and every year......L is our best ever so he gets slack for years like this one. But why the F can't he fill a **** roster. Every year we have 5 players and at most 1 guy that can contribute. Every year we take decent classes, and they mostly transfer out. There is little development with young guys. Guys like the one's transferring need to be the foundation of your bench at worst......

The one caveat i"ll say is...he may be telling these kids he'll develop them into solid college players and in their minds they are stars. And that is something really difficult to overcome cause at 19, self awareness is not common.
I think it's a combination of a lot of things.. We are getting to a point where you either have to recruit a bunch of one/two and done players that start immediately, have the majority of your players be portal transfers, or basically be Purdue and have guys stay 4-5 years. Otherwise, you're going to have a ton of attrition every year.

I'm totally fine being a mercenary program because we are never going to be Duke/Kentucky when it comes to recruiting nor will we recruit a bunch of Paul Djobet's and have them turn into all-conference players.

Advertisement

From the horses mouth, no one on the team has committed to returning to play for Coach L.
Read the article as these are the words of Coach L.
No one wants to hear this right now but this sounds like another rebuild year, which means no NCAA tournament.

Maybe they are just tired of his sphiel... he should have benched stars early for not listening.... instead the grandpa act encouraged me"ism" probably.

Advertisement

From the horses mouth, no one on the team has committed to returning to play for Coach L.
Read the article as these are the words of Coach L.
No one wants to hear this right now but this sounds like another rebuild year, which means no NCAA tournament.
Can someone please pin this so we can all come back and laugh at this loser a year from now? Even making this declaration not even a week after the season ends, in this day and age of the transfer portal is beyond insane.

Roster needs a complete overhaul and maybe let L move to an executive level position. NIL and transfer rules have changed everything. He likes to build rosters and that’s hard to do in this new world of college sports. Getting a veteran roster is really hard to do.

Not sure how many more years he will want to overhaul his roster every single year.

Roster needs a complete overhaul and maybe let L move to an executive level position. NIL and transfer rules have changed everything. He likes to build rosters and that’s hard to do in this new world of college sports. Getting a veteran roster is really hard to do.

Not sure how many more years he will want to overhaul his roster every single year.
I think this is it. Sounds like he wants another go but can see him stepping aside this time next year if he has to do this all over again.

Advertisement
Back