Who stays. Who goes

casualcane

Senior
Premium
Should leave:
-Wooga. Looks all but like he forgot how to play. Some of it was injuries but there’s a lot to be concerned with. I think he declares
-Casey. Brought absolutely nothing. Soft defender and poor finisher at the rim. Plays more like 6’4 than 6‘8
-Watson. I was wrong on Christian. He’s better off at a mid major
-George. Tbh, I think he bought into his own hype and just stopped trying. Had the habit of vanishing during games; suspect ball handler, weak defender and flat out didn’t look like he was playing hard. A guy like him needs to do more than be a catch and release shooter. Go to the league, but adjust your attitude quickly

Neutral:
-Pack. I don’t think he stays, so put here. There’s talk he might do another year somewhere closer to home. Does he get the same NiL money here?
-Benz. Here because of sheer attrition. Can’t lose the entire team. Tbh, I think he just didn’t give the same effort after George took his spot
-Cleveland. Played well at times but he’ll always be remembered as not being Jordan
-some of the staff. Tbh, I think we could do better. Bill and DJ are safe but I’m ambivalent on Kotie

Should stay:
-Nwoko. We need size and he’s got raw skills. He seemed to be all but gone mid season then made some miraculous 180. Needs to be a better defender and rim finisher. Not to mention get stronger
-Jakai. High effort/hustle, good bench guy. Maybe he gets better on offense with some confidence. If he can come off the bench and avg 6-8 points per game, I’ll take it
-Djobet. Has upside and a decent skillset
-Omier. Another year would be nice
-L. He’ll adjust. I think he knew the guys weren’t trying and just gave up at some point. We’d lose Bethea if he does retire, not to mention he’s probably our best shot at the twins

Advertisement
If those are the guys that stay we’ll ******* suck next year lol. I’m just not buying that George will be a lottery pick. I’d like to see Pack, Omier, and George back. Cleveland I could take or leave. Wooga, whatever. I’m not nearly as high on Nwoko at many seem to be. Doesn’t pressure the rim as a roll man, suspect hands, and I don’t know what the upside is with his frame. Those shoulders are real narrow.

I admittedly haven’t watched Memphis this year, but I wanted to make a run at David Jones in the portal so bad last year and seeing his stats just ****es me off.

If those are the guys that stay we’ll ******* suck next year lol. I’m just not buying that George will be a lottery pick. I’d like to see Pack, Omier, and George back. Cleveland I could take or leave. Wooga, whatever. I’m not nearly as high on Nwoko at many seem to be. Doesn’t pressure the rim as a roll man, suspect hands, and I don’t know what the upside is with his frame. Those shoulders are real narrow.

I admittedly haven’t watched Memphis this year, but I wanted to make a run at David Jones in the portal so bad last year and seeing his stats just ****es me off.
Jones will probably be American POTY on an disappointing Memphis team

Jones will probably be American POTY on an disappointing Memphis team
Is he playing good ball, or is it empty stats? He was the guy I wanted the most from the portal, and really feel his scoring ability would’ve been huge for this team.

-Benz. Here because of sheer attrition. Can’t lose the entire team. Tbh, I think he just didn’t give the same effort after George took his spot
I don't want George to leave, but if he does maybe Benz should/could stay. I agree his effort (and performance) changed after George took his spot. Then they were both on the court because various other starters were hurtin. So THEN he tried to do too much, heroics and more, and sorta left George out as much as possible. That affected George not in a good way.

Benz actually has some talent. If he doesnt' take 17 shots and try to do too much to prove he is better (or equal to) George, which he is clearly not.

Advertisement
Is he playing good ball, or is it empty stats? He was the guy I wanted the most from the portal, and really feel his scoring ability would’ve been huge for this team.
He’s a scoring machine. Had some unbelievable games this year. I’m hoping he comes back to Memphis but I think the portal will be very tempting for him.

He’s a scoring machine. Had some unbelievable games this year. I’m hoping he comes back to Memphis but I think the portal will be very tempting for him.
Iirc he already transferred into St John’s, so I don’t know that he could transfer a third time.

Just a total guess:

Staying
Omier
Wooga
Djobet
Robinson
Nwoko
Joseph

Leaving
George
Pack
Cleveland
Casey
Watson

This scenario would leave us with 4 open scholarships to fill after you factor in the 3 incoming freshmen.
I dont think Cleveland can leave - He used his one time free transfer to come here and is not a graduate. He would need a waiver to play elsewhere.

Advertisement
Guys I want to stay(and are likely to)

Bens--I think he will accept being first man off the bench, a role he thrives in
Omier--The NBA isn't going anywhere, and honestly, I think he enjoys college.
Wooga--I know that he struggled, but I find it hard to believe dude is permanently broken. He needs a solid summer to get his confidence back, we saw him blossom last year, coming into this one. He can get it back.
Nwoko--Saw some flashes of potential in the guy, would love to see him start to turn the corner this summer
Djobet--Can be a solid role player, I think he understands that L will allow him to develop
Cleveland--He isn't going anywhere because he already used his free transfer. Unless he's graduating, it's unlikely he leaves. There's a lot to like about his game, we just need to understand that he will NEVER be Jordan Miller.
Robinson--You need glue guys, but I would also encourage him to look for other opportunities if I were L. Miami can easily upgrade from him and I don't believe that he's going to be significantly better than what he is now.

Guys that are likely gone, and honestly, I'm not all that upset about it

Casey--Soft and honestly, I don't know if he's a good locker room guy.
Watson--Same as Casey and I'm shocked he hasn't even tried to find a role.
Pack--I don't think there's a role for him in the starting lineup with the freshmen coming in and honestly, he just isn't a legitimate playmaker at this level. He's a shooter, and while that skillset can be valuable, I don't think you can win big leaning on him. His defensive shortcomings are well known.

Guys that likely leave, but would be welcomed back if they chose to return

George--The skillset is there, needs development. The question is whether the young man is mentally tough enough to eat some humility and work. Wooga has shown that ability, that's why I hope he comes back, he just lost the thread this season. George didn't try at times, and honestly, I think he fell in love with his own press clippings.

Important needs: Interior Bulk and Mental Toughness. Need some willing defenders, some salty veteran leadership. Give me some size, some guys that are fine rebounding, defending, blocking shots and being physical. Those guys are out there, get some. Give Omier some **** help, man has been out there alone for far too long and he deserves better.

Just a total guess:

Staying
Omier
Wooga
Djobet
Robinson
Nwoko
Joseph

Leaving
George
Pack
Cleveland
Casey
Watson

This scenario would leave us with 4 open scholarships to fill after you factor in the 3 incoming freshmen.

Cleveland leaving will come down to whether he is graduating. If he isn't, he's coming back. That said, George is a tough one. Logic indicates he should return, but I wouldn't be shocked if L told him "If you come back, I need you to buy into the program, and be committed. If you can't give me that, leave".

Important needs: Interior Bulk and Mental Toughness. Need some willing defenders, some salty veteran leadership. Give me some size, some guys that are fine rebounding, defending, blocking shots and being physical. Those guys are out there, get some. Give Omier some **** help, man has been out there alone for far too long and he deserves better.

The disappointing thing is that these needs could have been easily addressed last post season if wasn't for the lazy approach to portal recruiting by Coach L and staff. We just needed a couple of good pieces..
I am not to confident if he will do so this post season either. ..

It's a matter of who the quitters were, whom if any were the cancers. Those players will be shown the door.

Shown the door:
Casey - no offensive game, plays way too soft for a big man
Watson - zero offensive development, actually regressed
George - yes I said it. Extremely talented, but he appeared to quit at times, and the chemistry is off. As he got more playing time, the team began to unravel. There is more going on with George than we know. I think the odds are 70/30 that he goes pro or transfers.

Leaving:
Pack - as others have said, he's one dimensional. Great shooter that we tried to shoehorn into a PG but he never was. Poor defender who seemed to be a net minus on the floor because of it. He will have a nice career overseas.

Omier - only guy who never regressed through this nightmare season. One of the best to ever lace em up at UM. I think he's done with college ball. Tries to hook on with an NBA club, but more likely a superstar overseas.

Wooga - his draft stock has fallen off a cliff. Was it the injuries? Don't think it was all due to that; read his own press clippings and has serious deficiencies in his game; dribbling hence penetrating is a problem and his defense has regressed; I am less confident on Wooga leaving, but I think he tests the NBA waters.

Coming back:
Cleveland - could go pro and play overseas, and has already transferred; I think he stays and Coach L will have the difficult task of trying to figure out his role; Cleveland didn't respond to the role he was asked to play. This will be interesting to see if L can remake Cleveland to fit next year's squad.

Bensley - asked to play point but, like Pack, he isn't a PG. Benz is a sixth man off guard, and a ferocious defender. He was asked to do way more than his talent allows this year. I always felt like he always gave maximum effort this year. Outside chance he transfers, but I would love to have him back in an off the bench roll.

Robinson - If he wants more playing time at a mid-major he will transfer. If he accepts a bench role, he will be back. Excellent defender that I haven't given up on improving offensively.

Nwoko - The only bench player that showed improvement as the year went on, even during the losing streak. L has something to build on here.

Djobet - Work in progress who showed flashes of being a contributor. I like his defense.

Summary:
Six players not returning, five return.
Three incoming freshmen, two of which should see lots of playing time.
Three open spots. L desperately needs a PG from the portal can't depend on a true freshman PG. Need two bigs, a 4 and 5 from the portal.

Advertisement
If wooga decides to return (I hope he doesn’t) you better not make the same mistake we made this year and think he is a dude that can lead a team. He’s not. He’s a 4th scoring option on a good team and we need to build a team around him that reflects just that.

George needs to go. Have never witnessed a more lackadaisical, soft, selfish player play major minutes under L. How he went from playing pro ball with grown men to coming here to the states and playing like that is one of the more puzzling things I’ve witnessed.

Pack needs to go. He hasn’t developed a lick in 2 years. Go start your journey of playing ball in a foreign country.

Benz needs to come off the bench as a 7th man. If he’s not willing to do that he needs to go.

Hope omier stays but for god sake please go get a big stretch 4. They are legitimately everywhere in college basketball. They grow on trees now a days.

Cleveland should stay but the pieces around him need to make sense. He needs to play the 3 next to a stretch 4 and a 2 that puts pressure on a defense. He’s a good player but we did him no favors this year with pack and wooga

Nwoko and Djobet are the only 2 guys I care about returning from the bench. That’s frightening to say but it’s true.

I know everyone is saying give coach L another year. I agree he deserves it no question. But he better wake up this off-season and get to work in the portal. His comments during pressers with media have highlighted he doesn’t do anything recruiting/portal wise. Word for word he’s basically said those things. That is not encouraging for a 70+ year old man entering a MASSIVE rebuild.

MASSIVE.

Last edited:
Cleveland could thrive with the right pieces around him. It would be a shame to have him go one and done with his talent and ability.

Pack has completely maxed out as a college player and sounded unfazed when someone asked him about how disappointing this year was. Injury prone player and poor attitude. Needs to move on.

Same goes for George. Seemed checked out the minute he started getting NBA buzz.

Advertisement
The disappointing thing is that these needs could have been easily addressed last post season if wasn't for the lazy approach to portal recruiting by Coach L and staff. We just needed a couple of good pieces..
I am not to confident if he will do so this post season either. ..
It was not just Wong and Miller going in the draft, we also had two rotation guys leave, Walker who had physicality, and Beverley. L did not reconstruct this roster, we had only five returning pieces, no one else with any real time experience. One portal player was just not enough.

I for one would not be disappointed if we didn’t return any of these guys (other than omier). It’s one thing just to not have any talent. Some of these guys have talent. They just played the most soft, pathetic brand of basketball I think I have ever seen. We will be in for another mess of a season if most of these quitters return. I am not saying this just to be negative. This season was so pathetic I’m not sure there’s ever been a team care less than this one.

IMG_7762.jpeg

Advertisement
Back