Who stays. Who goes

I'm on record as saying we probably need to ask all the Sophomores to leave...that class with Casey/Watson/Robinson have all not been good and nearly unplayable. Robinson gives you some punch defensively, but doesn't do enough offensively to not be a liability. He's better off elsewhere. Casey was a high rated HS kid who never put it together in college. Watson was a plus athlete who never picked up playing basketball at a P5 level.

As for who I *think* goes, I think Omier goes but Pack stays. I think Wooga is gonna try his hand at the combine but ultimately return. I think George wants to be a pro again and will likely go. I'd be shocked if Cleveland heads on to the draft, but he's got a pretty high opinion of himself I feel like. I think if he works on the small stuff like Jordan Miller did for us and returns he could build himself up into a draftable option for someone, but it's on him to decide that. I think he's 50/50.

Give me 3-4 portal upgrades depending upon who leaves. Maybe more. This team is gonna look a LOT different when we tip things off next November.

Advertisement
I'm on record as saying we probably need to ask all the Sophomores to leave...that class with Casey/Watson/Robinson have all not been good and nearly unplayable. Robinson gives you some punch defensively, but doesn't do enough offensively to not be a liability. He's better off elsewhere. Casey was a high rated HS kid who never put it together in college. Watson was a plus athlete who never picked up playing basketball at a P5 level.

As for who I *think* goes, I think Omier goes but Pack stays. I think Wooga is gonna try his hand at the combine but ultimately return. I think George wants to be a pro again and will likely go. I'd be shocked if Cleveland heads on to the draft, but he's got a pretty high opinion of himself I feel like. I think if he works on the small stuff like Jordan Miller did for us and returns he could build himself up into a draftable option for someone, but it's on him to decide that. I think he's 50/50.

Give me 3-4 portal upgrades depending upon who leaves. Maybe more. This team is gonna look a LOT different when we tip things off next November.
Casey, Watson and George are almost assuredly gone. They need to try and push out Jakai and Bensley, since neither should be playing at this level. Wooga likely winds up at another school before he winds up turning pro. Cleveland could benefit from another year in college. I think there's a better chance of Omier staying than Pack.

With the NBA, NIL and portal, I expect we're going to see a lot of changes to the current roster next season.

Omier - Has some pro options overseas, but if the right NIL deal comes along I could see him staying the extra year.
Pack - Nagging injuries have derailed his Miami career. I'm expecting him to bounce.
Wooga - Will test NBA waters and depending on the feedback will determine if he comes back or not.
Cleveland - Only see him leaving if the money is/isn't right.
Bensley - Where else he gonna go?
George - Very good chance we've seen the last of George in a Canes uniform.
Nwoko - If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, I think he's 50/50 at best. Not feeding him more PT left a sour taste in his mouth.
Casey, Watson & Jakai - Writing has been on the wall most of the season with these 3. Will look to salvage their careers elsewhere
Djobet - Will only leave if he gets pushed out and I don't see that happening.

All in all, today's athlete (like most people) are only as loyal as their options. And can't say that I blame them either. Get that money while you can.

Make It Rain Money GIF
I doubt Robinson leaves if he didn't last year. He will graduate next May

Casey, Watson and George are almost assuredly gone. They need to try and push out Jakai and Bensley, since neither should be playing at this level. Wooga likely winds up at another school before he winds up turning pro. Cleveland could benefit from another year in college. I think there's a better chance of Omier staying than Pack.
Bensley is not going anywhere. He is a role player was asked to do too much other than Norchad no player in the team played up to his potential more than him

Advertisement
Could see this lineup next year

5 Nwoko
4 Ormier
3 Matt
2 Bethea
1 transfer

Benz/Swartz off the bench. Some transfer depth at the 3/4

Could see this lineup next year

5 Nwoko
4 Ormier
3 Matt
2 Bethea
1 transfer

Benz/Swartz off the bench. Some transfer depth at the 3/4
Cleveland and Omier are the only two starters/players currently on the roster that I would fight tooth and nail to keep. Matt is supremely talented but played all out of position all year. Omier has been asked to do a ton for us down low the past two seasons and would benefit playing next to another big. I'm just not sure if that's Nwoko yet.

Advertisement
With Bethea a SG(?) ..."1 transfer" better be a top-notch PG!!!!!!!!!
This is our biggest need imo. L's offense requires a PG that can penetrate, finish in the lane, and find the open man when the help comes. Without a guy like that the whole operation looks like a misfiring engine.

So with the news of Casey, Watson, and Nwoko departing, we currently stand at 2 open spots:

Joseph
Pack
Wooga
George
Bethea
Swartz
Djobet
Robinson
Cleveland
Johnson Arigu
Omier

L said today that at least 5 players are leaving, so that means at least 2 more have yet to announce. That means we will have at least 4 open spots to fill.

Advertisement
So with the news of Casey, Watson, and Nwoko departing, we currently stand at 2 open spots:

Beverly
Pack
Wooga
George
Bethea
Swartz
Djobet
Robinson
Cleveland
Johnson Arigu
Omier

L said today that at least 5 players are leaving, so that means at least 2 more have yet to announce. That means we will have at least 4 open spots to fill.
Think you mean Joseph, not Beverly.

Advertisement

Joseph
Pack
Wooga
George
Bethea
Swartz
Djobet
Robinson
Cleveland
Johnson Arigu
Omier

For heavens sake, I hope this staff fills all roster spots instead of complaining mid season about not having enough players due to injury..

Joseph
Pack
Wooga
George
Bethea
Swartz
Djobet
Robinson
Cleveland
Johnson Arigu
Omier

We need at least couple of good rotation players off the portal including a PG and preferably a big ....

I was already guessing about 3-4 open spots in my earlier posts so makes perfect sense.

This roster's gonna look a lot different next season, and that's something we should all be celebrating. 3-4 solid portal adds/upgrades (assuming we hit on them all) should make for a big big improvement over what we put on the floor this past year.

Advertisement
Back