Who starts in the Secondary?

Canes91

Freshman
Now that this class is wrapped up.
Who do you guys think will get the start at both Corner and Safety spots? and who starts at nickel?

Advertisement
Jaquan, dean, malek at nickel unless bandy is head and shoulders better. Knowles at the other safety and redwine play the other boundary knowles is a HUGE question mark.

SS: JaQuan Johnson
FS: Sheldrick Redwine
CB: Malek Young
CB: Jhavonte Dean
N: Trajan Bandy

This is just a guess off the top of my head. I'm guessing though that the staff ends up taking a grad transfer just like last year. I don't think they leave one of the safeties up in limbo and they will want to be careful with Dean because JC's are always somewhat of an unknown commodity.

Carter probably starts at safety. Lots of people in sfla are high on that kid

Advertisement
Thing is in Diaz system It seems like the safety's are interchangeable I didn't see a lot of SS switching sides of the formation. More so safety's just rotating down to the formation strength.

Advertisement
Where does everybody think Cedrick Wright ends up playing? Is he purely a safety or may he end up at CB?

CB1- Malek Young
CB2- Jhavonte Dean
CB3- Trajan Bandy (Nickel)
CB4- Sheldrick Redwine (will rotate with Dean & play in the Colbert role)

FS - Jaquan Johnson
SS/Rover - Amari Carter/ Rome Finley

Red might move to FS, but I don't think he will... We'll have a very young & inexperienced Secondary but they'll be more depth & flexibility for guys to move around.

I would love to Jeff James get a shot at CB, he has the perfect prototypical size to be a tall long-armed rangy CB.
Would also like to see Ced Wright in that hybrid S/Nickel Corner spot to add depth behind Bandy.

We're absolutely going to add some Grad Transfers at either CB or Safety.

SS: Jaquan
FS: Romeo Finley
CB: Young
CB:Dean
N: Trajan/Ced

Advertisement
CB1- Malek Young
CB2- Jhavonte Dean
CB3- Trajan Bandy (Nickel)
CB4- Sheldrick Redwine (will rotate with Dean & play in the Colbert role)

FS - Jaquan Johnson
SS/Rover - Amari Carter/ Rome Finley

Red might move to FS, but I don't think he will... We'll have a very young & inexperienced Secondary but they'll be more depth & flexibility for guys to move around.

I would love to Jeff James get a shot at CB, he has the perfect prototypical size to be a tall long-armed rangy CB.
Would also like to see Ced Wright in that hybrid S/Nickel Corner spot to add depth behind Bandy.

We're absolutely going to add some Grad Transfers at either CB or Safety.

Bruh, i think you left out Michael Jackson, Ryan Mayes, Leroy Henley, and Robert Knowles.

Im not gonna blindly guess who's going to do what, but there are a number of returning guys I'm interested in watching this spring. Malek and Jaquan should hold down two spots and Redwine will be given every chance to be a 1, but everything else will be up for grabs. Romeo Finley, Ced Wright, Jeff James, and Michael Jackson are going to have a major say on how many freshman are gonna be relied on. If two of those guys can take that next step, there'll be a good competition for secondary spots come fall camp. Carter coming in early probably puts him in the two deep no matter what.

Not really expecting much out of Knowles, Henley or Mayes, but maybe one of them will surprise. Not counting on it though. Agree with @Liberty City El, gonna probably need a transfer to add experience on the back end.

Last edited:
Im thinking Finley gets to start next to Jaquan. Loved him coming out. Amari Carter and Smith both see a lot of the field imo.

Advertisement
At CB I think Young, Dean, Redwine and Bandy are getting most of the time. I've seen people mention Redwine to S, but I think he gives us a physical CB with good size whereas our other CB's are either physical but a little shorter or taller and not that physical (Dean). If we add a grad transfer CB maybe that changes.

At S 1 of the spots will definitely be Jaquan. Next to him will likely be an open competition where I'd expect Amari Carter, Finley and Knowles to get time. Could also see 1 of them stepping up and locking down a spot.

I also think we'll add a grad transfer DB, whether it's 1 of the guys Richt recruited at UGA or someone Diaz coached at one of his stops like Cedric Jiles from MSU (who already announced he's transfering). Or a rando.

you talking about Amari Carter? Dude looked like a straight beast on tape...

Yes.

His film is legit but people I trust in sfla says the tape doesn't do him justice. He's that good

Wow, because I thought his tape was average. Just hard hits and no coverage ability. I hope you're right.

CB: Dean, Bandy, Young
FS: Redwine
SS: Johnson

you talking about Amari Carter? Dude looked like a straight beast on tape...

Yes.

His film is legit but people I trust in sfla says the tape doesn't do him justice. He's that good

I'll believe it when I see it. People in South Florida are always pushing b-level talent on this team while they pimp their best kids out to the SEC and FSU.

The sites all had this kid as a 3-star.... that's what I'm rolling with until proven otherwise. I don't take what South Florida gurus have to say for ****.

Advertisement
Back