Who is our next first rounder?

PittsburghCane

Redshirt Freshman
With our most recent first rounders, David Njoku, Artie Burns and Eric Flowers off to the NFL with varying degrees of success, who can we look to and assume has a great chance to be our next first rounder? Who could we see having the requisite freak talent and mega production to warrant that next first pick?

JT4 is there talent wise but he just doesn't have the weight numbers yet. And even with a Belitnikoff type year its hard to see him being a first rounder after one big year.

The LBs have the tenure and good production, but I don't see any of them being a Bush, White or even a Mark Barron type athleticism.

I could see the TEs making it if the Enos offense is as advertised and our QBs flourished. Not a promise but encouraging pace to that conclusion.

if Pope pops this year he has the talent and the kind of offense to build a great resume. Same for Rousseau and Harvey.

I would have to think our best bets over the next few years would be:

2019 - Willis. The little bit of possibility and chatter could see him go to Patriots at 32 or a trade up candidate. 2/10
2020 - JT4 needs a 2000 yard season IMO and awards, probably team success too. 2/10
2020 - Finley. Yep super long shot. But hes got the athleticism and one big year........but very unlikely. 1/10
2021 - Garvin. Contingent on him staying through his Sr year and building on two very solid years, I think he would have a great shot at round 1. 5/10
2021 - If Jon Ford has really put it together, shows the production with his size and power, I could see him sneak in ala GWillis - 2/10
2021 - I think Mallory is the surer thing based on athleticism, but Jordan has the total package eve n if he lacks a little athletically. 6/10
2022 - This is the year I see a big punchline of possibilities - Pope, Lingard, Phillips, Harvey, a QB?, A safety? A llot of things can happen here, but Im feeling too lazy to keep going.

What do you think gents?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I think, looking at Joe Jack's production, Garvin would need to stay through his senior year to make it to the first round. Joe had 35 TFL and 22 sacks and is barely crack day 2. Garvin right now is at 22 and 7, though he is more athletic. But he would have to probably crack 50 TFLs and 25 sacks in his career to make the first round, which he would need more time to do so barring a magical year in 2019.

Advertisement
With our most recent first rounders, David Njoku, Artie Burns and Eric Flowers off to the NFL with varying degrees of success, who can we look to and assume has a great chance to be our next first rounder? Who could we see having the requisite freak talent and mega production to warrant that next first pick?

JT4 is there talent wise but he just doesn't have the weight numbers yet. And even with a Belitnikoff type year its hard to see him being a first rounder after one big year.

The LBs have the tenure and good production, but I don't see any of them being a Bush, White or even a Mark Barron type athleticism.

I could see the TEs making it if the Enos offense is as advertised and our QBs flourished. Not a promise but encouraging pace to that conclusion.

if Pope pops this year he has the talent and the kind of offense to build a great resume. Same for Rousseau and Harvey.

I would have to think our best bets over the next few years would be:

2019 - Willis. The little bit of possibility and chatter could see him go to Patriots at 32 or a trade up candidate. 2/10
2020 - JT4 needs a 2000 yard season IMO and awards, probably team success too. 2/10
2020 - Finley. Yep super long shot. But hes got the athleticism and one big year........but very unlikely. 1/10
2021 - Garvin. Contingent on him staying through his Sr year and building on two very solid years, I think he would have a great shot at round 1. 5/10
2021 - If Jon Ford has really put it together, shows the production with his size and power, I could see him sneak in ala GWillis - 2/10
2021 - I think Mallory is the surer thing based on athleticism, but Jordan has the total package eve n if he lacks a little athletically. 6/10
2022 - This is the year I see a big punchline of possibilities - Pope, Lingard, Phillips, Harvey, a QB?, A safety? A llot of things can happen here, but Im feeling too lazy to keep going.

What do you think gents?

You should never assume anyone will stay 4 years. If they are good, they will most likely be gone after 3 (which is, more often than not, the right decision financially).

Advertisement
I think, looking at Joe Jack's production, Garvin would need to stay through his senior year to make it to the first round. Joe had 35 TFL and 22 sacks and is barely crack day 2. Garvin right now is at 22 and 7, though he is more athletic. But he would have to probably crack 50 TFLs and 25 sacks in his career to make the first round, which he would need more time to do so barring a magical year in 2019.

Hitting career stat thresholds isn't how you get drafted in the first round. You get drafted in the first round by showing high-level NFL traits.

Garvin's wingspan, explosiveness and feet will lead to good testing numbers (36" vert out of HS). I expect a big season from Garvin. He has a natural bend around the edge that can't be taught. He's a better passrusher than Joe Jackson.

I'm not saying he's a surefire first rounder, but with the season I'm expecting from him, he will be in the conversation.

Advertisement
Back