Who have we lost to, that we were supposed beat?

Advertisement
everyone keeps bringing up UNC as a game we're supposed to win.. we could have won it .or maybe even should have won it.. but they aren't one of the sisters of the poor, we can't pretend they are at the bethune level.

Last edited:
everyone keeps bringing up UNC as a game we're supposed to win.. we could maybe should have won it.. but they aren't one of the sisters of the poor, we can't pretend they are at the bethune level.
***** what?

Advertisement
Nobody we've played is at the Bethune level(except for Bethune). Are we saying that we should only expect to beat teams on the FCS level? If so, Jesus.......

Nobody we've played is at the Bethune level(except for Bethune). Are we saying that we should only expect to beat teams on the FCS level? If so, Jesus.......
no, I'm saying we need to stop pretending like we're losing those types of games

UNC is the first ame that I can remember under Golden that we straight up lost. Like somebody else said, not get beat by a better team but straight up lost. Morris got hurt nd maybe we go down there and score that possession, butc th ey were trying to give that g to us the whole time.

We just couldn't close the door. You would feel a lot better about a 5-3 team with losses to 3 teams in the top ten than you do about our 4-4 warriors. I think that loss really hurt us. Having said that, the fact that we can run the table and be an 8-4 team in the ACC championship game would be a strightr up miracle.

Advertisement
I know 4-4 sucks and no one wants to lose,but let's look at things objectively for a second.. do we have any L's that were guaranteed W's? KSU, ND, UNC, FSU.. We weren't "supposed" to beat any of those teams... UNC was always going to be a toss up, weren't they favored? Now, of the 4 W's .. who were we "supposed" to beat? The BCs and that's it, and even boston college was a tossup, really. GT and NC state were tossups, we were supposedly going to get trounced by both teams... but it didn't happen, I don't remember if we were favored for the NC State game, but I know we were 2 or 3 TD dogs in the gt game.

The only people that should be mad right now are Dannyboy and anyone else who didn't have realistic expectations.. anyone else who predicted 5-8 wins.. guess what, that's what we're headed for because that's what we are.

Solid Post!!! Carry On!

Couldn't agree more. We havent lost a game that any unbiased outside perspective or vegas thought we would win. Even against UNC we were + 3 at home. Frankly,when it was announced that Vernon, Washington, Streeter, Ojomo, Miller & Forston were not coming back everyone should of realized that this team was going to be extremely young and would struggle. Golden should be somewhere in the top 5 for coach of the year honors if this team wins 8 games.

I agree with the poster who said it's not the losses but how we are losing.

We're young, there are problems I get that.

Had we played KSU or ND to within a score or two I could live with that and believe that we are improving.

Fact is we got blasted by both of those teams. Both teams ran up and down the field on us and we couldn't do anything about it. ND imposed their will against us in the second half, it was sobering and embarrassing. They ran almost the entire half, we knew it was coming and even still we couldn't stop it. That's getting dominated.

A lot of you guys like to brag that when UM beats a team we don't just beat them once we beat them twice because the loss stays with that team into the next week and beyond.

Well guess what? ND fighting a$$holes didn't beat us once, they beat us the past three weeks. We were demoralized and humiliated. I didn't expect to win the game. I can take a loss. I never thought that we would be so inept and look so bad, it was almost like we were an FCS school playing one of the big boys.

Losses hurt they are never easy. I knew we weren't going to win a NC with this team, but I at least thought we would compete in every game just like last season. We have very few playmakers on either side of the ball and we are so inconsistent and bad at times that it's almost become comical at this point.

I see some improvement but not nearly as much as I thought I would see once all these young guys started to play more into the season. These kids are no longer freshman they should know the scheme by now we just do not have the horses to get it done. That's the damnable misery of it all.

JMO

Advertisement
I agree with the poster who said it's not the losses but how we are losing.

We're young, there are problems I get that.

Had we played KSU or ND to within a score or two I could live with that and believe that we are improving.

Fact is we got blasted by both of those teams. Both teams ran up and down the field on us and we couldn't do anything about it. ND imposed their will against us in the second half, it was sobering and embarrassing. They ran almost the entire half, we knew it was coming and even still we couldn't stop it. That's getting dominated.

A lot of you guys like to brag that when UM beats a team we don't just beat them once we beat them twice because the loss stays with that team into the next week and beyond.

Well guess what? ND fighting a$$holes didn't beat us once, they beat us the past three weeks. We were demoralized and humiliated. I didn't expect to win the game. I can take a loss. I never thought that we would be so inept and look so bad, it was almost like we were an FCS school playing one of the big boys.

Losses hurt they are never easy. I knew we weren't going to win a NC with this team, but I at least thought we would compete in every game just like last season. We have very few playmakers on either side of the ball and we are so inconsistent and bad at times that it's almost become comical at this point.

I see some improvement but not nearly as much as I thought I would see once all these young guys started to play more into the season. These kids are no longer freshman they should know the scheme by now we just do not have the horses to get it done. That's the damnable misery of it all.

JMO

The expectation that we be super competitive with top 10 teams is not overly realistic, not at this stage at least. I mean, our youth and lack of depth doesn't lend itself to that.. Again, we're not putting up these terrible performances against NC State, UNC etc... i'd be concerned if we were getting blown out by that caliber team. The reality is, we're not that good.... we're young and we have minimal depth. It is what it is.

In looking at everything from the preseason, from unbiased observers, we were supposed to be much worse than we are.... those people see our reality... we, for whatever reason, don't think reality applies.. we have a U on the side of the helmet so that means we should just automatically be good.. it doesn't work that way.

for those saying we should have beat UNC...that's only cause they were helping us by beating themselves for us. They should have wiped the floor with us since they could move the ball up and down the field against us. We couldn't stop them. They stopped themselves with penalties and drops. Even defensively they were helping us out with penalties.

and 4-4 isn't off from what most thought, but the team (coaches on down) pretty much walked through the 4th quarter against K State (could say the Q word and I wouldn't argue against it). Not at the same level but was pretty similar that 4th quarter against Notre Dame. Not being competitive and not even trying to compete by the end of those games makes the "how we lost" argument strong to me. losses were expected. weren't expecting 4th quarters like we've had in 2 of those losses.

and moving forward...Duke will likely be favored. VT will be. Thankfully USF and UVA are wastelands this year, but even those games can't be listed as automatic wins considering how hit or miss the offense is and how just bad the defense usually is. Do 6 wins still need to be against non lower level teams? cause we might not be able to self bowl ban this year if they haven't changed that rule.

Advertisement
for those saying we should have beat UNC...that's only cause they were helping us by beating themselves for us. They should have wiped the floor with us since they could move the ball up and down the field against us. We couldn't stop them. They stopped themselves with penalties and drops. Even defensively they were helping us out with penalties.

and 4-4 isn't off from what most thought, but the team (coaches on down) pretty much walked through the 4th quarter against K State (could say the Q word and I wouldn't argue against it). Not at the same level but was pretty similar that 4th quarter against Notre Dame. Not being competitive and not even trying to compete by the end of those games makes the "how we lost" argument strong to me. losses were expected. weren't expecting 4th quarters like we've had in 2 of those losses.

and moving forward...Duke will likely be favored. VT will be. Thankfully USF and UVA are wastelands this year, but even those games can't be listed as automatic wins considering how hit or miss the offense is and how just bad the defense usually is. Do 6 wins still need to be against non lower level teams? cause we might not be able to self bowl ban this year if they haven't changed that rule.

If we win two more games this season, we'll be eligible. It's only an issue if you pack your schedule with FCS matchups.

The UNC game we should have won, and that's it.

And the marked improvement on defense since the ND game has coincided with the marked regression of the offense, unfortunately. Really, after Dorsett's drops to start off the ND game, we haven't been the same offensively since. Lots of things have contributed to that, but that's when our offense started coming back down to earth.

NC was clearly more talented than us. Only reason we were in the game was they continued to shoot themselves in the foot with penalties. They actually gave us a chance.

And the marked improvement on defense since the ND game has coincided with the marked regression of the offense, unfortunately. Really, after Dorsett's drops to start off the ND game, we haven't been the same offensively since. Lots of things have contributed to that, but that's when our offense started coming back down to earth.

NC was clearly more talented than us. Only reason we were in the game was they continued to shoot themselves in the foot with penalties. They actually gave us a chance.

agree w all that, though when a team gives u the game in every way possible like UNC did, u have to win that game and had morris been healthy we would have been okay or even had a kicker (remember golden opted not to kick a field goal earlier in the game and think we turned it over on downs). our offense has been abysmal since september and needs to find an identity real soon bc we dont have an alabama, florida, FSU type d yet where even if ur offense is inept (mainly UF 183 yards on offense against USCe and still blew em out by 30) youre gonna win or even dominate

agree w all that, though when a team gives u the game in every way possible like UNC did, u have to win that game and had morris been healthy we would have been okay or even had a kicker (remember golden opted not to kick a field goal earlier in the game and think we turned it over on downs). our offense has been abysmal since september and needs to find an identity real soon bc we dont have an alabama, florida, FSU type d yet where even if ur offense is inept (mainly UF 183 yards on offense against USCe and still blew em out by 30) youre gonna win or even dominate
If we had that kind of defense I'd be on board with playing ball control and running a ton...we don't have that luxury.
UF scored 3 or 4 TDs that took minimal offensive effort.

Advertisement
Back