Who getting the video of the scrimmage Sat. night and posting for us?

Defense should win first scrimmages, plain and simple. Offense line can be doing their job but if the back doesn’t have the timing down, it’s irrelevant, they will not pick up chunk plays on the ground. That will take experience and footwork training. WRs dropping balls is inexcusable at this point in the game. They need to spend extra time getting passes thrown to them when they are struggling (and if they can catch, get them on a juggs).

Optimistic news that we have a DL rotation and that is taking the pressure off of the DBs and LBs. The run game will develop and there is nothing worse than having a single run play like we have had the last 4 years to rely on. We will pound the ball when we can and hopefully we will be using our “surgical” QB to pick apart coverages when we can’t which will then open up the run and then deep ball game.

Plain and simple, WRs gotta catch! That is fixable if they can get separation. Give it time. Would love to hear how the TEs did and how they were used as that tells us how the LBs did in coverage and also how we are going to pick up some yardage when the obvious run and pass plays get stuffed.

Advertisement
Should gash: FSU, Duke, GT, VT, UVA, the G5's and BCU

50/50: UNC (recruited DL like crazy + Chizik pressure), Pitt (Knighton hit 4.7YPC vs Pitt in '21)

Tough sleddin': Clemson, TAMU- both have recruited DL well
And I feel like those 50:50 teams could go in our favor in terms of rushing if TVD has it going and the defense is forced to adjust to that

Should gash: FSU, Duke, GT, VT, UVA, the G5's and BCU

50/50: UNC (recruited DL like crazy + Chizik pressure), Pitt (Knighton hit 4.7YPC vs Pitt in '21)

Tough sleddin': Clemson, TAMU- both have recruited DL well

I could see VT with Pry giving us a challenge especially with the game being in Blacksburg, but otherwise I agree with the rest. UNC might be the most talented front 7 after Clemson and A&M but I think they’re still in for “growing pain” games this year on defense even if they do improve. Hopefully we’ll be one of those games for them.

I could see VT with Pry giving us a challenge especially with the game being in Blacksburg, but otherwise I agree with the rest. UNC might be the most talented front 7 after Clemson and A&M but I think they’re still in for “growing pain” games this year on defense even if they do improve. Hopefully we’ll be one of those games for them.
The VT spring game was rough all around, I think it's going to take Pry 2-3 years to fix that mess

DL will make OL and offense better; they need to develop resolve and a toughness in the way they respond to adversity. This is a necessary part of the process and the offensive unit must embrace an up-hill battle in order to get better. No dialing back intensity or asking the defense to take it easy, and the key is to see if the offensive unit can stay focused mentally and make up some ground execution-wise by the end of the fall.

This is absolutely how []__[] get better and the early adversity will pay dividends later.

The goal is to make our defense the toughest competition they face all year long and, hopefully, at some point the offense will push the defense as well.

I see a good amount of 12 formation in our future and that's my kind of football; physical, run-oriented pro-style that makes teams quit.

Last edited:
Advertisement
X will lead the team in catches.

Key Smiff will become the #1 big play receiver.

I think all 3 TEs catch over 20 balls.

Knighton will be one of the top 4-5 players on the team in terms of receptions.
Honest question: Does your slot receiver leading team in catches bode well typically? Also, is this by design and hoping for YAC and spreading field in this new offense? TY in advance.

Mario came thru for me with his post scrimmage comments. I told my Buddy he would say some form of:

1. Lots of good things happened out there
2. Lots of opportunities missed
3. We've got a lot of work to do and need to get back to it.

Lay up prediction.

Advertisement
1660492341584.png

Best news out of the scrimmage!! We need that vertical threat!! And Roberts may be a star in the making!

This thread plus the doom and gloom on the recruiting board was a quick, efficient reminder of why I don't frequent this board like I used to.

Honest question: Does your slot receiver leading team in catches bode well typically? Also, is this by design and hoping for YAC and spreading field in this new offense? TY in advance.

Lot of different ways to skin a cat. Jordan Addison won the Biletnikoff last year and led Pitt to an ACC Championship. Over 1500 yards from the slot. Josh Downs has been pretty good for UNC from there just to discuss 2 that are very familiar to us. Not saying X is either of these kids but it’s not like a leading WR being a slot kid means you suck on offense.

Steele's defenses have always been "bend don't break" they don't give up big plays. I think this is more reflective of taking what the defense gives you in the scrimmage.
Wow! Didn't realize how good of a scoring D Auburn had under Steele. Disregarding the COVID year, his defense only gave up 30+ points seven times from 2016-2019 (majority against Bama in the Iron Bowl). Manny's defense gave up 30+ points six times in a row last year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
From insider on TOS:

Ranking Top Performers in order::

disclaimer; No OL is on the list, not because they didn't play well, but amidst the chaos, OL don't get noticed..

#20- Jaylen Knighton.. Ran the ball well and looks like the top runner all night..

#19- Corey Flagg, showed up and was assertive quite a few tackles, didn't look out of place.

#18- Keontra Smith.. He is proving he may start at the WLB position

#17- Don Chaney.. Ran very well, looks good despite just coming back from ACL

#16- Gil Frierson, He should be imprisoned for Hit and Run.. Seriously, dude is a foot ball Player..

#15- Isaiah Dunson, Played really really well. Covered really well and didn't back down from our Receivers

#14- Tecory Couch: How much difference a year makes and a New coaching staff..

#13: Wesley Bissainthe; Very active and busy.. Definitely not a freshman. He is going to see lots of playing time.

#12: Cyrus Moss, I know, he is rail thin, but this kid is a pass rusher.. You can't teach the things he does.

#11: Mitchell Agude; It was fun to see him and Jalen Rivers go at it. He is going to be a problem.. He was active all night.

#10: Darrell Jackson, He was active all night.. He is going to be a problem, he uses his lenght to re-direct engaging linemen.. This kid is going to be very good.

#9: Didn't expect Elijah Roberts to show up like that... But show up he did. This kid is easily becoming a problem.. Problem is he and Mesidor plays the same position.

#8: Keyshawn Smith. He is WR1... Impressive TD on first drive, the defense bottled him for most of the night, but he definitely earn the starting spot this week.

#7: Elijah Arroyo.. He is going to be a problem.. A serious problem.. He blocked really well last night. and sure-handed.

#6: Xavier Restrepo: Still plagued by the occasional drops, but he and TVD was in Sync.. TVD has confidence in his roomate.

#5: Nyjalik Kelly: Morpheus has found him... He is the One!! The kid isnt likely to redshirt. I knew the kid had potential; but good Lord!! I actually thought maybe he was the 4th Best HS DE in Florida, but he may come out to be the best among (Shemar Stewart, Marvin Jones and Kenyatta Jackson).. Possibly because Kelly is not done growing... He is a legit 6-6 now. He is going to be a serious problem... with his speed, length, quickness and bend.. I am just glad we stole him from FSU. I will hate for us to have to face this kid 4-years in a row.

#4: Caleb Johnson: No longer worried about the MLB.. He was fast, always on the right spot and hit the bulls-eye on tackles each time.. He is head and shoulders, bigger, faster, more assertive that everyone else in our Lb Room.. We got a good one.

#3: Kam Kitchens: Just something about the kid, Not the most athletic safety, not the biggest, tallest or fastest, but has spider sense for the safety position; either that or he is doing some covert spying on the offense's playcalling..

#2: Akheem Mesidor, I don't know why people sound surprised. He was a Freshman-All American at SDE. He is going to be a problem this year, especially when he twist in the middle.. Our OL has no answer last night.. He is used to taking on double-teams, So facing single blocker was easy for him, very quick, active hands and just impressive lateral agility.. Sad part for most of our opponents is that they can't afford to double-team Mesidor, but will need to. He's just so quick with his 6-3 280lbs frame, carries it like 230lbs.

#1: TVD, who else? He is the alpha dog of the team.. With the kind of pressure he faced all night, he made the defense pay.. Most impressive was his pass from his own 1-yard line, under pressure; Perfectly placed pass. for which there is no defense. If he plays like he did last night and Our Receiver catch the ball, we will be a very very good team.

From insider on TOS:

Ranking Top Performers in order::

#7: Elijah Arroyo.. He is going to be a problem.. A serious problem.. He blocked really well last night. and sure-handed.
This gave me a chuckle. Mallory supposedly played the best and had the only TD for the TE's but instead the top performer was Arroyo because he blocked well. Hahahaah

Advertisement
Back