Who do you want to start at nickel?

Thornton is the perfect replacement for Jakobe Thomas in our defense. A lot of similarities to our nickel except on the opposite side of the slot so less challenging coverage responsibilities.

I like Fitz best roaming over the top but Poyser is really good & locked in there so my guess is he is the one to slide in at nickel. I think he can do well if he adds some weight this offseason. I was worried about his physicality but honestly he didn’t seem timid or out of place last year.

It might look a little different but BF has the skill set to continue the playmaking tradition that Agent 0 started.
 
Maybe he'll play Nickel on early downs and slide over on obvious passing downs. That's not a crazy strategy. He'd still have to tackle better on early downs, but we blitzed the FARK out of the slot position last season.
JJ dunigan is young but athletically most comparable to Keonte with more upside.
 
Until Lucas gets back. Thornton and Dunnigan should rotate at SS. Day should be the starting Nickle, rotate Fitz to FS on passing downs/situations.
 
I think Nickle fits Day and the type of player he is. Get him a little closer to the line and he’s better in coverage than Thornton. He has all the physical traits, he has shown he can make plays on the ball when it’s in the air, and it allows Thornton to play SS, his best position. Also I’m not married to Day starting, if Dunnigan is better than so be it.

I expect a lot of these guys to play multiple positions, but I think it makes the rotation smooth and keeps people fresh.

If the unit is to get better while having all these injuries then the staff needs to start narrowing down what positions these players need to be focusing on. Same with the OL. I don’t want to see Cogdon and Meriweather getting snaps at tackle, nor Cantwell at guard.

Poyser- FS/SS
Dunnigan- SS/Nickle
Thornton- SS
Fitz- CB/FS, once Fitz moves to FS your top 2 corners will be Damari and O’Connor.
Day- Nickle
 
Last edited:
They desperately need to get Fitzgerald back in the middle of the field—probably nickel alternative safety. He’s doing ok but him at corner is like asking Ed reed to play corner it’s a waste of his strengths. Thornton at nickel is basically a pure blitzer. It’s unfortunate that they couldn’t get one more young corner suitable enough that they have to waste fitzgerald’s talents out there.
 
They desperately need to get Fitzgerald back in the middle of the field—probably nickel alternative safety. He’s doing ok but him at corner is like asking Ed reed to play corner it’s a waste of his strengths. Thornton at nickel is basically a pure blitzer. It’s unfortunate that they couldn’t get one more young corner suitable enough that they have to waste fitzgerald’s talents out there.
Why I’ve been saying we need OJ, X and Damari back in a big way. Move Fitzgerald back to his natural position and then you pick the best for the nickel, Dunnigan, Thornton, Day. I’m a little concerned with Dunnegan being out of position at times but his raw potential is unreal!
 
Whoever can make the opposing offense feel it, that's who should start. I need to see more from DAY and D. Brown before I can say.
 
Back
Top