Who are the best South Florida QB recruits?

I think the biggest issue with South Florida QBs is size. Three South Florida QBs started in the NFL last year, including the MVP. They are all tall.

We've had some ballers who put up numbers in G5 but lack the size for the highest level.

Here is my post on the 2021 South Florida QB class:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Josh Harris from Bowling Green?
Don’t think so. IIRC, he played DL at Middle Tennessee State. Actually was in my class at UM Law. Super sharp guy, funny as ****. Had the law school professors calling him Justice Harris by the end of the first month. Huge Canes fan.

No. I think it multifaceted.

Some QB's excel with or without having a private QB coach, it really just depends on the kid.

Contrary to popular belief, a lot of Black QB's do have independent QB coaches, Deshaun Watson, Kyler Murray, Teddy Bridgewater, Lamar Jackson, Jameis Winston, Geno Smith, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields, **** even going back to Cam Newton, they all had private QB coaches.

QB development to me has more to do with the process of Youth/Little league football & how kids are developed going into HS than anything. In regions like CA, TX & AZ, they run College level Spread/Air Raid style offenses starting in Middle school, so by the time they hit HS & College they're already well versed in the play calling & operational aspects of QB'ing.

The Private QB industry does help a great bit because it gives kids good teaching in terms of refining their technique & strengthening their throwing mechanics, but just as many kids who have personal QB coaches still have a high bust rate at the upper levels of football because ultimately traits & skills that can't be taught are what win out.

From a regional standpoint, being a multi-sport athlete at QB plays a huge part in development as well, the QB's who played Baseball, Basketball & Football growing up usually tend to excel at the next level. Particularly in TX the Baseball culture is just as strong as the Football culture down there, so just about every single TX QB grew up playing Baseball as well & due to the muscle activation in the shoulder & arm they tend to have more natural arm strength at an earlier age & develop faster at QB in High School. The Baseball culture is huge in South FL too & produces the highest volume & some of the best Baseball players in the world, but most talented South FL Baseball players usually specialize & don't play Football, they play Baseball only, so the kids with super strong arms (particularly in South FL) aren't mult-sport athletes.

It also has to do with school funding, a lot of schools down in TX have private funding with big time donation boosters who spend millions of dollars on weight room facilities & college style Football fields, so those kids are getting as close to professional training from their Freshman year until they graduate. South FL public schools are the exact opposite, the weight training programs from most kids is subpar at best & they have to rely on personal & individual workouts to get good training.

It also has a lot to do with Coaching, up until a few years ago, most South FL offenses were nor running high octane spreads, they would mainly take the most atheltic kid on the field, put him at QB & use him as an extra RB for the most part, the ones who could actually throw were the ones who excelled & were able to play at the next level.

The 7v7 circuit plays a big part too, kids are getting year round reps playing in 7v7 tournaments & they're throwing & operating offenses a lot more.

There's a lot of factors to it, resources & proper training are the biggest factors overall, it's not a race thing at all, because if you look around HS & College football there's Black QB's exceeding at high levels who have great arm talent & they all had the same coaching/teaching as some upper middle class kids would have.

Look no further than our current QB D'Eriq King, he's a coaches son & has had private QB coaching his whole life & in HS he broke all of Kyler Murray's state records.

In a world where things are either black or white, I really appreciate the additional context into a complex subject

Advertisement
See, that first paragraph is what I was getting at. If SoFla is finally catching up in the game, then we should start to see some better results in the future, and that makes me happy.

I love my alma mater, but it always seems like Miami has to go "out-of-state" to find a QB (and I know a couple were from SoFla, like my classmate Craig Erickson).

That's all I was getting at, whether the SoFla kids have (for whatever reason) been missing out on outside QB coaches, and whether that contributes to the lack of great SoFla QB prospects/recruits.

expect an uptick on qbs and OL. The minute they lifeted weight restrictions in youth leagues you saw the difference.

Guys like BIG Baby Seymore have been playing ol at a high level for YEARS now ...why he is so technical.

If i show u how some of the kids i coached youth level a few years ago are looking now as 13 yr olds...you would be like sheesh. These kids are wayyyyy more advance. Tyger is showing it...and he played a pound above me...s.fla typcally didnt have qbs that could pick up a legit offense as a freshman...t would usually be just the most athletic kid placed at qb (andre johnson, roscoe parrish)..Tyger and Lights out jenkins (Carol City)and other are 9th graders who have full grasp on covg and offenses.

Advertisement
Back