Who are the best South Florida QB recruits?

Mackmiller974

All ACC
I'm curious on who you guys think are the best South Florida QB prospects that are currently in high school? I don't really follow the high school football scene in South Florida much.

Advertisement
2022 QB Zion Turner at STA
2022 QB Kevin Smith at Miami Palmetto
2022 Deon Parker at North Miami
2023 Taron Tyger ****ens at MNW
2023 Keyone Jenkins at CC

We've offered Turner at STA, but I doubt we really pursue him.

Tyger is the best QB in South FL (not my biased opinion either), he had a phenemonal season as a Freshman.

Deon Parker has a really good arm but he's tiny, doesn't have the same raw athleticism but is a similar style QB to Quinton Flowers.

Jenkins is an intriguing prospect, very good natural athlete, Basketball player type.

Overall, South FL just doesn't produce QB's at the same rate as regions like TX & AZ, every few classes there will be a couple high level athletes that stand out & South FL has definitely produced some very good QB's over the years like Rakeem Cato, Teddy Bridgewater, Jacoby Brissett, Geno Smith, Lamar Jackson, Mike White, Tyler Huntley etc, but as of recently there just hasn't been much, in fact I think Katravis Marsh was the only one from the 2020 class.

Tyger is the best QB in South FL (not my biased opinion either), he had a phenemonal season as a Freshman.

Deon Parker has a really good arm but he's tiny, doesn't have the same raw athleticism but is a similar style QB to Quinton Flowers.

Jenkins is an intriguing prospect, very good natural athlete, Basketball player type.

Overall, South FL just doesn't produce QB's at the same rate as regions like TX & AZ, every few classes there will be a couple high level athletes that stand out & South FL has definitely produced some very good QB's over the years like Rakeem Cato, Teddy Bridgewater, Jacoby Brissett, Geno Smith, Lamar Jackson, Mike White, Tyler Huntley etc, but as of recently there just hasn't been much, in fact I think Katravis Marsh was the only one from the 2020 class.
You think Tyger is a Miami caliber QB?

I'm going to ask a very...delicate...question.

A lot has been written, in the past, on how having a private QB tutor in HS has helped certain college QBs develop.

And, historically, a lot of those same QBs have come out of Cali and TX, and their families have money, and their complexions happen to be a certain...color...

Do you think that money and/or ethnicity and/or private QB coaches play a role in what has "tended" to be the story line of QB development for the last couple of decades? Especially in relation to South Florida, where we have seen some very talented kids become much better college/NFL quarterbacks (Lamar Jackson) than what we were led to believe by the recruiting services.

Again, I am not trying to make this purely about any one subject, but just something that has been observed over 40 years of following the trends on recruiting, and QB recruiting specifically. In the older days, it was very rare to even see black QBs recruited (unless it was Grambling or FAMU), and I am wondering if there is some (unintentional) carryover of that in relation to what a lot of (wealthier) kids do with outside QB coaches.

A lot has been written, in the past, on how having a private QB tutor in HS has helped certain college QBs develop.

And, historically, a lot of those same QBs have come out of Cali and TX, and their families have money, and their complexions happen to be a certain...color...

Do you think that money and/or ethnicity and/or private QB coaches play a role in what has "tended" to be the story line of QB development for the last couple of decades? Especially in relation to South Florida, where we have seen some very talented kids become much better college/NFL quarterbacks (Lamar Jackson) than what we were led to believe by the recruiting services.

Again, I am not trying to make this purely about any one subject, but just something that has been observed over 40 years of following the trends on recruiting, and QB recruiting specifically. In the older days, it was very rare to even see black QBs recruited (unless it was Grambling or FAMU), and I am wondering if there is some (unintentional) carryover of that in relation to what a lot of (wealthier) kids do with outside QB coaches.
No. I think it multifaceted.

Some QB's excel with or without having a private QB coach, it really just depends on the kid.

Contrary to popular belief, a lot of Black QB's do have independent QB coaches, Deshaun Watson, Kyler Murray, Teddy Bridgewater, Lamar Jackson, Jameis Winston, Geno Smith, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields, **** even going back to Cam Newton, they all had private QB coaches.

QB development to me has more to do with the process of Youth/Little league football & how kids are developed going into HS than anything. In regions like CA, TX & AZ, they run College level Spread/Air Raid style offenses starting in Middle school, so by the time they hit HS & College they're already well versed in the play calling & operational aspects of QB'ing.

The Private QB industry does help a great bit because it gives kids good teaching in terms of refining their technique & strengthening their throwing mechanics, but just as many kids who have personal QB coaches still have a high bust rate at the upper levels of football because ultimately traits & skills that can't be taught are what win out.

From a regional standpoint, being a multi-sport athlete at QB plays a huge part in development as well, the QB's who played Baseball, Basketball & Football growing up usually tend to excel at the next level. Particularly in TX the Baseball culture is just as strong as the Football culture down there, so just about every single TX QB grew up playing Baseball as well & due to the muscle activation in the shoulder & arm they tend to have more natural arm strength at an earlier age & develop faster at QB in High School. The Baseball culture is huge in South FL too & produces the highest volume & some of the best Baseball players in the world, but most talented South FL Baseball players usually specialize & don't play Football, they play Baseball only, so the kids with super strong arms (particularly in South FL) aren't mult-sport athletes.

It also has to do with school funding, a lot of schools down in TX have private funding with big time donation boosters who spend millions of dollars on weight room facilities & college style Football fields, so those kids are getting as close to professional training from their Freshman year until they graduate. South FL public schools are the exact opposite, the weight training programs from most kids is subpar at best & they have to rely on personal & individual workouts to get good training.

It also has a lot to do with Coaching, up until a few years ago, most South FL offenses were nor running high octane spreads, they would mainly take the most atheltic kid on the field, put him at QB & use him as an extra RB for the most part, the ones who could actually throw were the ones who excelled & were able to play at the next level.

The 7v7 circuit plays a big part too, kids are getting year round reps playing in 7v7 tournaments & they're throwing & operating offenses a lot more.

There's a lot of factors to it, resources & proper training are the biggest factors overall, it's not a race thing at all, because if you look around HS & College football there's Black QB's exceeding at high levels who have great arm talent & they all had the same coaching/teaching as some upper middle class kids would have.

Look no further than our current QB D'Eriq King, he's a coaches son & has had private QB coaching his whole life & in HS he broke all of Kyler Murray's state records.

Advertisement

Is Smith really that size? He was listed at 6’3 230 as a sophomore!

LCE, very thorough response. I just want to focus on one paragraph:

"Contrary to popular belief, a lot of Black QB's do have independent QB coaches, Deshaun Watson, Kyler Murray, Teddy Bridgewater, Lamar Jackson, Jameis Winston, Geno Smith, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields, **** even going back to Cam Newton, they all had private QB coaches."

I know you said "a lot", but I would also point out that these names are some of the MOST successful over the last few years (and Cam Newton isn't that old). It is hard to know whether "a lot" is some, most, or all, but it certainly seems that this would be more of a rarity, rather than "the standard". And if outside coaching has helped the kids you mentioned to succeed, doesn't it seem like that would be even MORE prevalent if more kids had access to such coaching?

Again, not trying to make it about just one issue. I would love to see "outside coaching" available to more than just kids who can afford to pay for it, that is my primary point. Maybe this is not as much of the "rule" today, but at least not that long ago, it was wealthy parents pushing this, trying to turn their sons into the next great QB, even if the aptitude was not there.

I'd also be curious to know "how long" some of these kids had outside coaching. I understand if some of these kids get help in their final 2 years of HS, but the other "extreme" is what you had with the Marinovich family, where the dad was prepping his kid to be a QB from birth. I think that many of these kids have had outside coaching since late elementary/early middle school, while others just get the outside coaching when they become "can't-miss" HS juniors.

Again, just my observations over the last 40 years.

Well here’s an example. Jarren Williams is a black QB with a private coach and all the tools in the world and he turned out to be a dissapojntment. Now he’s not from south Florida and his skill isn’t what held him back but it’s an example of a kid even with the help not succeeding

I think he can be, only time will tell.

Thats my lil dawg and he falls under the Teddy Bridgewater regime (hes a relative). He been slinging the balla round since he was a lil 1. I watched him at the park (Miramar) do numbers.

If he hts just a reasonable growth spurt and gets close to 6'1, i think he will be above a 3 star recruit. His dad got some height on him..so its possible

Advertisement
Also this group of qbs like Tyger...have been working with personal qbs since optomist. South Florida has fnally caught up to the game.
One of my homies is a personal qb coach and has been working on alot of the s.fla kids since they were young...He has the qb from USCHOOL under his tutelage currently.
I remember it was basically like 1 guy in Broward that worked qbs and he was kind of pricy...Mastrole was the name. Now ive seen a few more guys pop up... I know Oliver Bozeman (Dillard- Alcorn State) works with guys....my homie...and a few others.
https://mastrolequarterback.com/alumni/

- I didnt see Pete Zamora listed....hes a small qb who just transferred to Deerfield Beach. Expect hm to put up numbers and be a div 1 qb.

-Miami Pace has like a 6'3 kid thats a freshman. Adrian Posse

-Blake Murphy American Heritage class of 2023

Thats my lil dawg and he falls under the Teddy Bridgewater regime (hes a relative). He been slinging the balla round since he was a lil 1. I watched him at the park (Miramar) do numbers.

If he hts just a reasonable growth spurt and gets close to 6'1, i think he will be above a 3 star recruit. His dad got some height on him..so its possible
That's a fact.

Tyger has grown some this offseason, he's looks about an inch & half taller, looks legit 6'0 right now.

He's been working like crazy too, he throws almost every week & works on his footwork. He works with my boy Coach Russ & Coach Pender, he has a strong physical build & looks like he'll be in the 6'1/2 220+ range by the time he's a Senior.

He's also smart AF, jit picked up the Offense in just a few weeks & lead us to a state championship.

I agree with you on this and will also add that maybe they would've been BETTER QB'S in college if they had the same time and training like the kids in Cali and Texas. But if you really serious about your position you going to go after it more than anything you love. I think people just don't push the subject down here like they do in Cali and Texas. I mean look at Olineman in Florida there is not a lot to look at why bc we don't push for it.

Also this group of qbs like Tyger...have been working with personal qbs since optomist. South Florida has fnally caught up to the game.
One of my homies is a personal qb coach and has been working on alot of the s.fla kids since they were young...He has the qb from USCHOOL under his tutelage currently.
I remember it was basically like 1 guy in Broward that worked qbs and he was kind of pricy...Mastrole was the name. Now ive seen a few more guys pop up... I know Oliver Bozeman (Dillard- Alcorn State) works with guys....my homie...and a few others.

- I didnt see Pete Zamora listed....hes a small qb who just transferred to Deerfield Beach. Expect hm to put up numbers and be a div 1 qb.

Lamar's former QB Coach Josh Harris is the new OC at your school McArthur.

Advertisement

See, that first paragraph is what I was getting at. If SoFla is finally catching up in the game, then we should start to see some better results in the future, and that makes me happy.

I love my alma mater, but it always seems like Miami has to go "out-of-state" to find a QB (and I know a couple were from SoFla, like my classmate Craig Erickson).

That's all I was getting at, whether the SoFla kids have (for whatever reason) been missing out on outside QB coaches, and whether that contributes to the lack of great SoFla QB prospects/recruits.

Advertisement
I agree with you on this and will also add that maybe they would've been BETTER QB'S in college if they had the same time and training like the kids in Cali and Texas. But if you really serious about your position you going to go after it more than anything you love. I think people just don't push the subject down here like they do in Cali and Texas. I mean look at Olineman in Florida there is not a lot to look at why bc we don't push for it.

Fair point. I respect what I'm saying about "if you really serious about your position", I just think there have been a lot of kids with wealthy parents who have been "pushed" into being decent QBs in the past, as opposed to being the most-talented or the hardest-working.

I know I grew up in a time period when "Marinovich" meant something very specific, and maybe things are not as bad as they once were.

I'd just love to see us debating 10 or 12 great Florida-area HS QBs every year, like what happens in TX and CA.

Fair point. I respect what I'm saying about "if you really serious about your position", I just think there have been a lot of kids with wealthy parents who have been "pushed" into being decent QBs in the past, as opposed to being the most-talented or the hardest-working.

I know I grew up in a time period when "Marinovich" meant something very specific, and maybe things are not as bad as they once were.

I'd just love to see us debating 10 or 12 great Florida-area HS QBs every year, like what happens in TX and CA.
In order for that to happen coaches are going to have to start finding these kids sooner then later like 9,10, 11 and start having them throw and read def at a young age to mature there mindset for high school and college. A knock on black qbs is that they don't study the game like white qbs do or there not smart enough to run an offense. Not true bc kids can learn and suck in info like a sponge the problem is we don't have a lot of people saying hey you can be a qb you can throw the ball you can learn the off and def coverages. We need teachers that's all and people to say hey you can be more than a db or a wide receiver.

In order for that to happen coaches are going to have to start finding these kids sooner then later like 9,10, 11 and start having them throw and read def at a young age to mature there mindset for high school and college. A knock on black qbs is that they don't study the game like white qbs do or there not smart enough to run an offense. Not true bc kids can learn and suck in info like a sponge the problem is we don't have a lot of people saying hey you can be a qb you can throw the ball you can learn the off and def coverages. We need teachers that's all and people to say hey you can be more than a db or a wide receiver.

I agree completely. I also go back to LCE's earlier comment about "baseball", I know I've read stuff about the decline in playing baseball in the black community.

Early talent identification is key. Early talent development is key.

Turner has apparently been on the U campus a lot and seems very interested. Why don't you think we will pursue him?

Advertisement
Back