Who’s the most underrated Miami player ever?

Starks wasn't underrated....He's arguably the best Cover-Corner in UM History. Love him...
He gets overlooked sometimes because he was only here 2 years and on bad teams. But he was always fun to watch. Not just at corner but also returning punts.

Advertisement
I'll go old school. Tony Cline. Played opposite of Ted Hendricks in relative anonymity. He was good enough to have an 8 year NFL career and lead the league in sacks one Year. Has the unofficial record for a rookie sacks for a year with 17 1/2. It's the Unofficial sack record because the NFL didn't start keeping track of rookie sacks until a few years after his rookie season.

Starks wasn't underrated....He's arguably the best Cover-Corner in UM History. Love him...
@SWFLHurricane where do you rank Philip Buchanon and Ryan McNeil in that cover corner conversation? I’d always considered PB 1a and Starks 1b as our best cover corners with McNeil right behind. I definitely respect the Starks argument and won’t hear me complain on that. I’ve always thought very highly of all 3 of them.

@SWFLHurricane where do you rank Philip Buchanon and Ryan McNeil in that cover corner conversation? I’d always considered PB 1a and Starks 1b as our best cover corners with McNeil right behind. I definitely respect the Starks argument and won’t hear me complain on that. I’ve always thought very highly of all 3 of them.
Phillip and I have been Super close since his freshman yr at UM. I'm probably closest to him out of any UM player I'm friends with, and I'm friends with a bunch. So as you can imagine, alittle bias comes with PBuch with me. But Starks or Trell, combined with PBuch in a who was the best CB, is about as close as a contest of any position group we've ever had. You're talking
1A
1B
1C......in regards to them. But I will say, what PBuch did in 2001, in multiple categories, could easily of made him a 2001 MVP Candidate.
1st Team AA 2001 at CB
NCAA ST's Player of Yr 2001
And Outstanding Punt returner. So my bias also has a Proverbial "Proof is in the Pudding" backing it up. Love Trell and Starks as well.

This is exactly how I feel about Dan Morgan.

How could our first Sophomore team captain, an All American and 3x all conference 1st team player, who set our career record for tackles, while becoming the first player EVER to win the Nagurski, Butkis and Bednarik, be underrated or at least under discussed?

Because despite all the awards and national recognition, he never makes Miami fan's Mt Rushmore. And a lot of posters don't even have him on their all time starting defense.

I get it.. with all the other elite players we've had its hard to put him above them. But take the names away and look at his accomplishments. There might not be a better resume. He doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves.

It’s b/c of his NFL career, bro. Some fans disregard what players do here as individuals & go straight to NFL career accomplishments. If Dan didn’t have the injury issues, I would argue my guy would’ve had a HOF career. But, I totally agree w/ u; Dan is HELLA underrated.

Advertisement
McNeil is way better than Buchanon. That's not to diminish Phil at all, but Starks and McNeil are above everyone else at CB by a mile.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I can still see DMorg in that FSU game where he was puking in between snaps and busting people up.
That’s tuff!
It’s b/c of his NFL career, bro. Some fans disregard what players do here as individuals & go straight to NFL career accomplishments. If Dan didn’t have the injury issues, I would argue my guy would’ve had a HOF career. But, I totally agree w/ u; Dan is HELLA underrated.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back