Who’s the most underrated Miami player ever?

Advertisement
Phillip and I have been Super close since his freshman yr at UM. I'm probably closest to him out of any UM player I'm friends with, and I'm friends with a bunch. So as you can imagine, alittle bias comes with PBuch with me. But Starks or Trell, combined with PBuch in a who was the best CB, is about as close as a contest of any position group we've ever had. You're talking
1A
1B
1C......in regards to them. But I will say, what PBuch did in 2001, in multiple categories, could easily of made him a 2001 MVP Candidate.
1st Team AA 2001 at CB
NCAA ST's Player of Yr 2001
And Outstanding Punt returner. So my bias also has a Proverbial "Proof is in the Pudding" backing it up. Love Trell and Starks as well.
When anyone asks me if I’m building an all-time Miami defense I’m always putting Antrel Rolle and P Buchanan as my starting CBs. Some people will say McNeil, Starks, Rumph etc… but I’m going Buchanan as a close second to Rolle. It’s a very close argument…

When anyone asks me if I’m building an all-time Miami defense I’m always putting Antrel Rolle and P Buchanan as my starting CBs. Some people will say McNeil, Starks, Rumph etc… but I’m going Buchanan as a close second to Rolle. It’s a very close argument…
Trell was basically interchangeable...CB/SS if necessary. Both were extremely good at run support. Rumph was an excellent tackler, but wasn't the Cover guy PBuch was.

Advertisement
D. King gets a fair amount of love on these boards, but I still don’t think it’s enough. Not sure if people realize how much he meant to that offense his last full year. That’s a sub .500 team without him.

D. King gets a fair amount of love on these boards, but I still don’t think it’s enough. Not sure if people realize how much he meant to that offense his last full year. That’s a sub .500 team without him.
His only full year*. He was a leader but N'kosi would have lit it up under Rhett. Just like he did when King went down. Also that was Covid year and half the teams we played weren't competitive.

Going to go with Dan Morgan. You don’t have to be considered pedestrian to be underrated. Although Morgan is considered a legend, I still think he’s underrated. Perhaps one of the best ever for us. He’s also underrated NFL-wise. Check his Super Bowl game numbers against NE.

Others for me are Daryl Jones (pedestrian numbers but 5 year guy who who was a leader during the turn-around culminating in the 01 season) and Bubba Franks.

Speaking of Bubba, he reminds me of one of Miami’s most underrated games. 01 at BC is the one everyone remembers because of Reed and Walters but 99 was amazing as well. 28-0 in the 3rd quarter …. You know the rest.

Advertisement
I'll add another name. Stephen McGuire.

We get caught up talking about McGahee, Gore, Portis, Edge and rightfully so but this guy basically made the FSU defense(and most everyone else) tackling dummies when he carried the ball. I know he didnt do as much in 92 as he did 89-91 due to injury but this guy was a wrecking machine(Mick's voice from Rocky III):)

Dallas Crawford. Moved from safety to RB to help the squad out and really balled out there. A few games he carried the team

I like it. All Cane and heart that kid. He willed us to win in that UNC night game. Everyone know he was getting the ball but he’d get just enough every time.

Ethnic Sands
Rusty Medaris
Brandon Merriweather
Sean Spence
Craig Cooper
Stanley Shakespeare
Wesley Carroll

Love the Stanley Shakespeare one! Had a nice little game for himself in our first NC.

A good friend of mine is his nephew. Speaks about him often - unfortunately Stanley died in a boating accident about 15 years or so ago. RIP.

Advertisement
Trell was basically interchangeable...CB/SS if necessary. Both were extremely good at run support. Rumph was an excellent tackler, but wasn't the Cover guy PBuch was.
I'd like to add in regards to Rumph's coverage skills. If he doesn't jump that route vs BC in 2001, causing the ball to careen off his leg into Walter's hands, we probably lose. We were down 12-7 with 2mins left.

Advertisement
I'd like to add in regards to Rumph's coverage skills. If he doesn't jump that route vs BC in 2001, causing the ball to careen off his leg into Walter's hands, we probably lose. We were down 12-7 with 2mins left.

We were up 12-7, with BC trying to marching in for the lead. Reed spiked the s-h-i-t out of the ball, I don't think it never came down, it's somewhere in the atmosphere with Bobby Shmurda's hat.

We were up 12-7, with BC trying to marching in for the lead. Reed spiked the s-h-i-t out of the ball, I don't think it never came down, it's somewhere in the atmosphere with Bobby Shmurda's hat.
Meant up..bottomline, if Rumph doesn't jump that route, we'd have possibly been in trouble.

Advertisement
Back