Who’s gonna be the next coach at Iowa

Lots, maybe even not, of these high level D1 coaches are ego maniacs. is that in part why they are successful, or does the success turn them into ego maniacs? Hard to say and it probably differs. But so many coaches are ********; Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, Bryant, Hayes, Schembechler, , just to name a few.

so I ask, is it possible to achieve the highest level of success as a college football coach Without being an *******? Has Dabo figured it out by throwing God into the mix? How did Jimmy succeed without being hated?
JJ was Hated by alot of people....Alot of his success had to do with his Masters in Psychology...and the fact he was GOAT putting staffs together..and the keen ability to evaluate and recruit, which is where Butch got it from.

Advertisement
JJ was Hated by alot of people....Alot of his success had to do with his Masters in Psychology...and the fact he was GOAT putting staffs together..and the keen ability to evaluate and recruit, which is where Butch got it from.

I would say better to be feared rather than hated. It's a fine line and not easy to work, but JJ I think was able to tread that line successfully.

I mean I agree with you, but you e been degrading and humiliating porsters here for years. And please don’t stop, just pointing it out.
I defend myself against hooligans and scalawags who attack me with vicious propensity. I'm a peaceful man who just wants to get along, but the world has caused me to be hardened and at times callous.

Lots, maybe even not, of these high level D1 coaches are ego maniacs. is that in part why they are successful, or does the success turn them into ego maniacs? Hard to say and it probably differs. But so many coaches are ********; Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, Bryant, Hayes, Schembechler, , just to name a few.

so I ask, is it possible to achieve the highest level of success as a college football coach Without being an *******? Has Dabo figured it out by throwing God into the mix? How did Jimmy succeed without being hated?
You can be respected and even feared without being demeaning and degrading. Not many have mastered that, and not many will. People think you have to destroy your charges in order to be respected or to lead properly, but that's not true. The guys you mentioned have giant egos, but ego doesn't have to translate to demeaning and degrading.

Advertisement
There's only one choice:

Screenshot_20200630-102305_Google.jpg

Advertisement
I also found this quote interesting "..Or I would have to go to a fan's house earlier at night to eat because there was no way I was going to be able to make it through the next day vomiting, being weak and be able to make it through school and practice."

Is getting meals at a fan's house considered an NCAA violation? Not that I think the kid should get in trouble if it was, but the program should if kids are having to scrounge meals at fan's houses, illegally, because the coach took away their meal plans.

You don't think Jimmy was hated?

WE loved the guy, but
Jimmy was hated..... as all great Hurricanes were back in the day.
Ol chump L. Oliver went on a whole diatribe at Wet Willies once on how much he hated J.J. ...
Butt hurt he got shipped to the bungals. You never know who has an agenda. I don't jump on anyone's first word . The situation has to play out.

I defend myself against hooligans and scalawags who attack me with vicious propensity. I'm a peaceful man who just wants to get along, but the world has caused me to be hardened and at times callous.
Crucial.

Advertisement
Didn't realize being "tough" meant allowing people to treat you like crap, demean you, etc. In fact, being a good little whipping boy sounds like the opposite of being tough.
Some people need to grow a backbone....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back