Which uncommitted prospects are the coaches highest on?

PittsburghCane

Redshirt Freshman
Coaches have been killing the recruiting trail this year (obviously) and throughout the year there have been many reports expressing their levels of interest with several recruits who would ultimately commit following the buzz created by these reports. However recently, I feel like there have been more reports detailing how the coaches have lost interest in many recruits that once were seemingly heavy targets for the staff. This includes David Reese, Jamien Sherwood, Tyreke Johnson, Micah Parsons and Kevin Austin among others.

My question is, aside from John Campbell whose been buzzing, Tyson Campbell and Micah Parsons who, though with reports contact is so so are obviously top of the board guys, who are the coaches highest on and can we fans look to as potential addidtions to the class? Is there 5-10 guys we can be confident the staff will focus on in the second half of this 'Crootin szn'?

Advertisement
I'd definitely cross off Tyreke Johnson and David Reese. I think Kevin Austin has also probably dropped. Not sure about Jamien Sherwood. I think they'd take him at LB though it seems that Joyner is the latest name to watch.

I'd say Joyner, Oladele, Tyson Campbell and any number of guys on the OL.

Last edited:
I'd definitely cross off Tyreke Johnson and David Reese. I think Kevin Austin has also probably dropped. Not sure about Jamien Sherwood. I think they'd take him at LB though it seems that Joyner is the latest name to watch.

I doubt they dropped Kevin Austin.

You also have Micah Parsons, Michael Thompson, Dennis Briggs, and John Campbell to go along.

Good Point. I have been hearing buzz on Joyner and Oladele. Hoping it picks up with DTs. Would love to here more about Sandidge and Thompson and the kid from Jersey. I will say Dennis Briggs probably has the most buzz from what I've seen recently too.

My guess is with the lead up to the Paradise Camp coaches may have something inthe works they are keeping under wraps. Ala Jeff Thomas, Herbert under the radar last year.

Advertisement
Give me DTs

I'll trade Campbell for a solid DT class all **** day

Campbell is sooo good though man. I feel your urgency on the DT front though. From a depth perspective CB will be getting deep soon while DT could feasibly lose the top four DTs from this years team. Thats why I am hoping that the Dline coach we are blessed with (Love Coach Kool) has some aces in the whole. We need them.

hope we stay on Sherwood. Kid's film is legit. And don't see how him completely dominating his spring game on both sides of the ball would lead to us back off him.

Advertisement
tyreke johnson is overrated. he is a high 3 star talent. whoever rated him a 5 needs to see a shrink. the same people also only rated lingard a 4 star so the picture is clear. the big 3 in florida really don't want him. florida would probably take him just to pad their ratings but i wouldn't be surprised if after the season his ratings drop. dude got torched by Mallory. now, Mallory is a stud but if you are a 5 star Safety, no way you get torched by a TE.

tyreke johnson is overrated. he is a high 3 star talent. whoever rated him a 5 needs to see a shrink. the same people also only rated lingard a 4 star so the picture is clear. the big 3 in florida really don't want him. florida would probably take him just to pad their ratings but i wouldn't be surprised if after the season his ratings drop. dude got torched by Mallory. now, Mallory is a stud but if you are a 5 star Safety, no way you get torched by a TE.

The latest on the UiF board is Tyreke to UGA. Even they don't want him at cornerback, just safety.

Figured as much. I'm excited to see what kind of buzz we get out of Paradise Camp and if some of these kids reignite our interest or cement what the coaches already think. Camp definitly separates the dogs from the puppies.

Advertisement
Shouldn't a lot change depending on the season? If this defense dominates into the top 5 and the offense holds it together to have a 10+ win season, the media hype will be buzzing like crazy like it always does when it seems like we're on the verge and I'm sure it'll open up the opportunity to snag can't miss elite prospects that see the writing on the wall and want to hop on.

I like the position of having most of the class committed and now sitting back and zeroing in on some guys who explode during the summer and during their senior year. Filling the whole class too early is a big mistake.

For example, think about how much our coaches' minds have changed on a handful of guys in just the past month or two. Lock in the big time guys you have absolutely no doubts about like Jobe and Lingard and Frierson and Pope and guy's of that ability. Then pursue monsters (Tyson Campbell and Parsons) and guys who develop a little later with the remaining spots.

I like the position of having most of the class committed and now sitting back and zeroing in on some guys who explode during the summer and during their senior year. Filling the whole class too early is a big mistake.

For example, think about how much our coaches' minds have changed on a handful of guys in just the past month or two. Lock in the big time guys you have absolutely no doubts about like Jobe and Lingard and Frierson and Pope and guy's of that ability. Then pursue monsters (Tyson Campbell and Parsons) and guys who develop a little later with the remaining spots.

Just where do you come off trying to bring a reasoned and rational perspective to this board, sir?

Nothing spectacular there, but that is a post worthy of Living Legend status (given the amount of freaking out about certain guys not committing yet, or taking their visits, etc).

:hh9BEeLFGEOeZUWG.jp

Advertisement

Good Point. I have been hearing buzz on Joyner and Oladele. Hoping it picks up with DTs. Would love to here more about Sandidge and Thompson and the kid from Jersey. I will say Dennis Briggs probably has the most buzz from what I've seen recently too.

My guess is with the lead up to the Paradise Camp coaches may have something inthe works they are keeping under wraps. Ala Jeff Thomas, Herbert under the radar last year.

Herbert was all uf until the tooth lost his o line coach. Thomas was def under the radar.

While I would say that saying Tyreke is a 3 star prospect is a bit of a stretch. I would say he is a tad overrated, I don't think he's a 5 star. I don't think he's a corner at all as advertised, I think his money is at safety. He is the prime example though of kids who get rated extremely high way too early on. We see this happen every year/cycle with XYZ prospect and the other situation in hand of late bloomers.

As far as it goes with this class. My best projection where it stands today, probably 1WR,2OL,1DE,2DT,1-2LB, 1-2 DBs to close out the class. I actually prefer that Manny hasn't jumped the gun and just taken someone right away at LB. Guys like Joyner & APierre are prime examples of late bloomers. Joyner now playing LB impressing Manny enough to become the top dog on the board & Pierre was a RB/DB before he started playing more OLB last year. It's not the strongest year for LBs in the state in 2018 either & 2019 crop is the best in quite some time in total depth of talent across state. Another example is the rise of a WR like Thornton, he got hurt last season and spent most of the 7on7 season this off-season on the track & field.

I would say for most part they pretty much have a good idea of their top guys and takes for the class where it stands right now. It's over halfway done and we're 4 months in. Kudos to staff, think we'll see more of this moving forward considering the new early signing date as well.

The one thing I love about this staff compared to the last few. They won't just settle if the kid not up to par of Miami standards. Look no further than the acquisition of Delaney after CJ & Edwards bolted. I don't think that situation could have been handled any better than that.

Word is that Coach Rumph feels that Tyson Campbell is better than Surtain and perhaps the best CB in he country. He's my top priority among remaining recruits.

**** Franchise that is a perspective I never thought of. Its awesome. We have limited spots available and can really focus on filling those with game changers. That focus coupled with the expected, hopeful 2nd year bump we hear about coaches should put us in a great position come December and February.

Advertisement
Back