Which uncommitted prospects are the coaches highest on?

Word is that Coach Rumph feels that Tyson Campbell is better than Surtain and perhaps the best CB in he country. He's my top priority among remaining recruits.

Heard some folks say that Campbell is usually on the other teams top receiver which allows Surtain to eat against lesser competition.

Advertisement
I dont think Tyreke is a take for the staff. We are getting close to a full DB class. I think the bigger fish are Tyson and Bethel at the moment. Tyreke is more a Plan c guy.

I like the position of having most of the class committed and now sitting back and zeroing in on some guys who explode during the summer and during their senior year. Filling the whole class too early is a big mistake.

For example, think about how much our coaches' minds have changed on a handful of guys in just the past month or two. Lock in the big time guys you have absolutely no doubts about like Jobe and Lingard and Frierson and Pope and guy's of that ability. Then pursue monsters (Tyson Campbell and Parsons) and guys who develop a little later with the remaining spots.

Early signing period makes this strategy even more enticing.

I dont think Tyreke is a take for the staff. We are getting close to a full DB class. I think the bigger fish are Tyson and Bethel at the moment. Tyreke is more a Plan c guy.

I'm really not a big fan of Tyreke, BUT it's crazy because a lot of threads I read about him says he's not a 5 star caliber player, BUT for some reason he still holds that high ranking.. Let him commit to Miami and see how fast his ranking drops BUT if he commits to a school like OSU r Bama he might get a bump up on his rankings!!

Advertisement

I'm really not a big fan of Tyreke, BUT it's crazy because a lot of threads I read about him says he's not a 5 star caliber player, BUT for some reason he still holds that high ranking.. Let him commit to Miami and see how fast his ranking drops BUT if he commits to a school like OSU r Bama he might get a bump up on his rankings!!

OMG FOR REALS?!?!? HIS RATINGS WILL CHANGE?!?

So effing caught up in ratings its unreal. Who gives a flying fart.

tyreke johnson is overrated. he is a high 3 star talent. whoever rated him a 5 needs to see a shrink. the same people also only rated lingard a 4 star so the picture is clear. the big 3 in florida really don't want him. florida would probably take him just to pad their ratings but i wouldn't be surprised if after the season his ratings drop. dude got torched by Mallory. now, Mallory is a stud but if you are a 5 star Safety, no way you get torched by a TE.

While I would say that saying Tyreke is a 3 star prospect is a bit of a stretch. I would say he is a tad overrated, I don't think he's a 5 star. I don't think he's a corner at all as advertised, I think his money is at safety. He is the prime example though of kids who get rated extremely high way too early on. We see this happen every year/cycle with XYZ prospect and the other situation in hand of late bloomers.

As far as it goes with this class. My best projection where it stands today, probably 1WR,2OL,1DE,2DT,1-2LB, 1-2 DBs to close out the class. I actually prefer that Manny hasn't jumped the gun and just taken someone right away at LB. Guys like Joyner & APierre are prime examples of late bloomers. Joyner now playing LB impressing Manny enough to become the top dog on the board & Pierre was a RB/DB before he started playing more OLB last year. It's not the strongest year for LBs in the state in 2018 either & 2019 crop is the best in quite some time in total depth of talent across state. Another example is the rise of a WR like Thornton, he got hurt last season and spent most of the 7on7 season this off-season on the track & field.

I would say for most part they pretty much have a good idea of their top guys and takes for the class where it stands right now. It's over halfway done and we're 4 months in. Kudos to staff, think we'll see more of this moving forward considering the new early signing date as well.

The one thing I love about this staff compared to the last few. They won't just settle if the kid not up to par of Miami standards. Look no further than the acquisition of Delaney after CJ & Edwards bolted. I don't think that situation could have been handled any better than that.

Agree Johnson cannot be a five star especially if hes projected at safety hes way to stiff or slow or something

and Campbell is the best CB in the country imo

I'd definitely cross off Tyreke Johnson and David Reese. I think Kevin Austin has also probably dropped. Not sure about Jamien Sherwood. I think they'd take him at LB though it seems that Joyner is the latest name to watch.

I'd say Joyner, Oladele, Tyson Campbell and any number of guys on the OL.

Good Point. I have been hearing buzz on Joyner and Oladele. Hoping it picks up with DTs. Would love to here more about Sandidge and Thompson and the kid from Jersey. I will say Dennis Briggs probably has the most buzz from what I've seen recently too.

My guess is with the lead up to the Paradise Camp coaches may have something inthe works they are keeping under wraps. Ala Jeff Thomas, Herbert under the radar last year.

I like you actually gave some names instead of more Campbell discussions. I'm more interested in hearing about the DT's and OLinemen at this point. Like Campbell too, but him not coming would not impact the class as much as a top DT would.

OMG FOR REALS?!?!? HIS RATINGS WILL CHANGE?!?

So effing caught up in ratings its unreal. Who gives a flying fart.

if everyone had that make him a low star cause hes coming to miami why we got the 2nd ranked class?

thats bs about guys dropping............guys move because more camps and film

Advertisement
I like the position of having most of the class committed and now sitting back and zeroing in on some guys who explode during the summer and during their senior year. Filling the whole class too early is a big mistake.

For example, think about how much our coaches' minds have changed on a handful of guys in just the past month or two. Lock in the big time guys you have absolutely no doubts about like Jobe and Lingard and Frierson and Pope and guy's of that ability. Then pursue monsters (Tyson Campbell and Parsons) and guys who develop a little later with the remaining spots.

That's a very logical position to take and I agree. Also whoever said we're dropping Sherwood needs to have his head examined.

Word is that Coach Rumph feels that Tyson Campbell is better than Surtain and perhaps the best CB in he country. He's my top priority among remaining recruits.

Heard some folks say that Campbell is usually on the other teams top receiver which allows Surtain to eat against lesser competition.

They are obviously both extremely talented but I could believe that. I think Campbell has a higher ceiling while Surtain may have a higher floor.

wait a few weeks for Paradise Camp....if a recruit doesnt attend, we are not interested.

Advertisement

**** Franchise that is a perspective I never thought of. Its awesome. We have limited spots available and can really focus on filling those with game changers. That focus coupled with the expected, hopeful 2nd year bump we hear about coaches should put us in a great position come December and February.

How did u never think of this? This is obviously every staff's best case scenario. It is just difficult to pull off from year to year without elite recruiting and some stars aligning. It isn't some new and exciting recruiting strategy.

Outside of Larry Coker and staff what staff have you ever heard of that goes by ratings in any sense of the word? Site ratings are for just what is being discussed on this board and is for the fans and the players to brag about and that is all they are worth. Rating this and rating that...wasted effort reading and discussing, stop the nonsense and the false belief that they matter in the final analysis of things, they don't!
Staff evals and all that goes into them are what matters and nothing else!
The comments that don't include the rating nonsense are the ones that make the best sense. Period JMO
Save your collected breath I am not going to argue or respond!

Last edited:

**** Franchise that is a perspective I never thought of. Its awesome. We have limited spots available and can really focus on filling those with game changers. That focus coupled with the expected, hopeful 2nd year bump we hear about coaches should put us in a great position come December and February.

How did u never think of this? This is obviously every staff's best case scenario. It is just difficult to pull off from year to year without elite recruiting and some stars aligning. It isn't some new and exciting recruiting strategy.

As Rick has said, recruiting is now a multi-year process. While the staff is continuing their evaluations and contact for the '18 class, they are also laying the foundations and earning commits for '19 and '20 kids. If the success on the field comes, we'll be sitting in this position every year for the foreseeable future. This is why the comparisons to UGA just are not apt. Rick recruited like a monster up there as well. Georgia just doesn't have the same dogs that So.Fla. does. At least not on a year-in/year-out basis.

This program is so close to the tipping point where, if we are able to get over the hump by closing out a BCS bowl type season, with a ACCCG appearance and a major bowl win, and close out this '18 class the way things look now, the only thing that will be able to stop us is the NCAA. There's just too much talent around here, too much buzz when the program is winning, too many built-in advantages. Even stale offensive play calling won't be able to slow us down if the talent gets to the point that I think it will. You think Dorsey over the middle to Shockey or on a crossing route to Andre took a genius to call?

Sorry for the rant/ramble. We are sooooooo close! **** it's great to be a 'Cane...

Advertisement
Outside of Larry Coker and staff what staff have you ever heard of that goes by ratings in any sense of the word? Site ratings are for just what is being discussed on this board and is for the fans and the players to brag about and that is all they are worth. Rating this and rating that...wasted effort reading and discussing, stop the nonsense and the false belief that they matter in the final analysis of things, they don't!
Staff evals and all that goes into them are what matters and nothing else!
The comments that don't include the rating nonsense are the ones that make the best sense. Period JMO
Save your collected breath I am not going to argue or respond!

Our staff evaluations are more important, but ratings do matter. You must be new to recruiting because a few years ago it was looked into and shown that an increasing number of stars directly correlates with an increasing chance of making the NFL. Something like 55% of 5 stars make it to the NFL. That's a big deal.

I'd definitely cross off Tyreke Johnson and David Reese. I think Kevin Austin has also probably dropped. Not sure about Jamien Sherwood. I think they'd take him at LB though it seems that Joyner is the latest name to watch.

I'd say Joyner, Oladele, Tyson Campbell and any number of guys on the OL.

I hope your wrong because reese and austin and sherwood I think would be great gets.

Advertisement
Back