Which Teams Outplay Their Recruiting Rankings

Baylor went 11-2 and played in a BCS bowl last year with a harder schedule than us, so I don't know what the **** yall talmbout

Advertisement
We could have the weakest schedule in the FBS and we would still lose 1-2 games. Not trying to be a mope, just being realistic about this staff

Yeah, I wanna be like Yale!

huh

maybe he meant BYU?

I think so. It's important to remember that BYU is using predominantly older players than a traditional program. The vast majority of their recruits serve Mormon missions before ever even seeing the field so they are working with 20 year old freshman as a starting point.

Those 2 extra years of physical and mental maturity easily add an extra star on most of their recruits.

Solid. Thanks for posting.

The only things I would add are I would have liked to have seen a composite rankings from multiple recruiting sites - not just Rivals. Likely would have made only a marginal difference but would have added to the analysis. And secondly, I would like to see a second regression done for programs where there was a coaching change for that same period of time.

Good find.

Yeah, by the way they did this analysis, it takes into account 3 years of Golden and 2 years of Shannon. It also includes recruits going all the way back to 2005. This proves that Miami has been underperforming for a while now, but it's not really fair to put all the blame of this chart on Golden*

*I am on the fire Golden bandwagon.

Actually, rather than do it by schools with coaching changes, why not just do it by coach?

I thought about that. I think it would be a more interesting analysis too. As it is, it sort of normalizes performance regardless of coach.

Definitely disappointing results shown on that chart. Would love to have Mike Gundy, David Shaw, or Kevin Sumlin (TAMU will be on the other side of that graph in a couple years) because you know they will install systems that allow their kids to compete. However, I look at this chart and think it's important to remember that both team rankings and recruiting rankings (even more so) are subjective lists that sometimes include extreme bias.

Advertisement
Wisconsin is a very impressive program. This chart really hammers that point home. They are starting to pluck a couple underrated South Florida guys each year. Smart move.

Wisconsin is a very impressive program. This chart really hammers that point home. They are starting to pluck a couple underrated South Florida guys each year. Smart move.

Miami needs to pluck the Wisconsin Def Coordinator in exchange.

Go Canes

Advertisement
This is a five year average. Would be interesting how we stack up against ACC coastal in last couple of years. Bet everyone would kick our A$$ in performance relative to recruiting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back