Which season you want 2023 to mirror?

Which of these seasons you want this season to resemble to build momentum for 2024?

Votes: 5 12.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 17.1%

Votes: 29 70.7%

• Total voters

caneULM

Recruit
A 12-0,13-0 season is unlikely to happen IMO based on all the changes but which of these seasons you want this season to resemble to build momentum for 2024 and have a strong recruiting class?

Advertisement
This question makes no sense, but I'll try to answer.

This team isn't even near the talent level of 1990 or 1994, and can't even hope to approach the 1994 defense.

The 1998 team is the only one that resembles this one, as it relied on a very good offense to aid a highly inconsistent defense.
We have zero idea what this defense will be with 7 new starters (Deen, Kelly, Cloyd, Mauigoa, Damari Brown, Davante Brown and Davis). 5 of the 7 are experienced transfers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Tough crowd. One thing I always liked about Butch’s teams, is it seemed as if they got better over the course of the season. So, I’d be happy with a team that progresses and improves as the season goes on and leaves us with hope that next year will be even better. A late season implosion would decidedly not be good.

Advertisement
We were the best team in the country that year. We'd have crushed anyone in any bowl game that year.

Well, except the Fiesta Bowl. We seem to play badly there.
I was not inferring that Miami would be the best team at the end of the year this season, not by any means. I’m using that season, with a couple of regular season losses and a strong finish. This lead to a national championship the following season.

My wish for this season is despite the inevitable bumps in the road, Miami finishes strong at the end of the year, playing their best football. this leads to another stellar recruiting class, hopefully flipping a few elite players, building up to an even better 2024.

@k9cane Commented on the 1998 season. This is a great analogy as well. I had forgotten how bad we were the prior year. Hopefully Miami won’t have any 66-13 blow out losses, but maybe we can pull off that big upset like the win over UCLA. Clemson perhaps? I think FSU will be good but not as good as everyone thinks they’ll be. I guess we’ll find out in November.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this season mimics the 99' or 16' seaso.. .start strong, a few hiccups in the middle, and a strong finish including a bowl win. Really I'm hoping for 10 wins LOL.

Last edited:
Advertisement
1998 if only in terms of our records the previous season. If Mario can build excitement and energy around the program again, coupled with 2 very good recruiting classes recently, we should all hope the team (especially with so many playing transfers and frosh) is peaking later on in the year. But we still must come out of the gate strong. I think the A&M game will give us an early glimpse into what this team’s capabilities are week 2.

We were the best team in the country that year. We'd have crushed anyone in any bowl game that year.

Well, except the Fiesta Bowl. We seem to play badly there.
The 1990 season is the strangest in college football history. Almost all of the top teams played each other; hence, why everyone had blemishes, and most had 2 losses. It was incest.

The exception was Georgia Tech. They drew a mediocre UNC team, but otherwise got through unscathed (including an epic game at UVA). GT probably should have been outright national champion, but the fact that the other top teams played each other (Colorado played almost EVERYONE), led to a split title for the Buffs.

I was not inferring that Miami would be the best team at the end of the year this season, not by any means. I’m using that season, with a couple of regular season losses and a strong finish. This lead to a national championship the following season.

My wish for this season is despite the inevitable bumps in the road, Miami finishes strong at the end of the year, playing their best football. this leads to another stellar recruiting class, hopefully flipping a few elite players, building up to an even better 2024.

@k9cane Commented on the 1998 season. This is a great analogy as well. I had forgotten how bad we were the prior year. Hopefully Miami won’t have any 66-13 blow out losses, but maybe we can pull off that big upset like the win over UCLA. Clemson perhaps? I think FSU will be good but not as good as everyone thinks they’ll be. I guess we’ll find out in November.
I was really just reminiscing.

Advertisement
Back