Where it’s all gone wrong this year

Miami04

Senior
I believe the actual roster this year is just not great. Here’s why.

Starting 5
Pack - Pack
Wong - Poplar (for skill level an arguments sake lets say Wooga replaced Wong)
Poplar - Benz
Miller - Cleveland
Omier - Omier

our starting 5 is worse because our 5th option (Benz) is not very good and can’t be counted on to make open shots. Rewatch some games last year and see our 5th option (Wooga) making crucial shots. Plus, add in Millers all around game for Cleveland more offensive heavy game. (Minus last night.)

Bench

Benz - Watson
Beverley - George
Casey - Casey
Walker - Nwoku

This years bench is a disaster. There were 3 guys last year that could give you some sort of quality minutes off the bench, either defense or offense. This year that number has been reduced to one.

Quite honestly I believe most of us fell for the hype and just idea of success breeds success this year. This team is not a top 25 roster and a huge part of that falls on the lack of a bench. This team is going to live around .500 in ACC play and be ”next four out” “first four out” “last four byes” “last 4 in“ all year long. We will have our great nights and beat Duke or UNC at home and then lose the next game to Notre Dame.

It’s a bummer because I’m not sure I’ve ever hyped myself up for a basketball season this much and the losses to Louisville and FSU are just soul crushing.

Advertisement
Poplar isn’t Wong and Matt isn’t Miller. The former have mostly been jump shooters this year. Wong and Miller both created in the paint, either finishing or kicking out to the open perimeter man. Now teams can simply sit on Omier inside.

Tbf, we have three guys that aren’t healthy. I really think it’s impacted Omier. He just doesn’t seem as aggressive. Benz has been having some poor games lately, But let’s remember, he had several good games to start the season.

George is light years better than any bench player from last year. Trouble is who’s left. I think Watson has what it takes, but I can’t figure L out at times. Watson needs to play to improve; he’s all but sat lately. Casey is Casey. I thought he’d take the leap but he’s just too soft at the rim for his size. Nwoko looks lost. And his body language isn’t good. Jakai? My favourite mystery man is a good bench guy. Every team needs one. I’ve actually liked what I’ve seen of Djobet.

That being said, last year’s team had some bad losses. I don’t think this team is as good as I thought, but it’s too early to write them off. We could very well go on a hot streak.

I’ll go out on a limb and say I don’t like some of the court demeanor. Seems like some guys are just doing their own thing at times and simply not listening. At this point, I’d consider sending a message and putting guys in who do, even if it costs us in the short term.

Last edited:
Poplar isn’t Wong and Matt isn’t Miller. The former have mostly been jump shooters this year. Wong and Miller both created in the paint, either finishing or kicking out to the open perimeter man. Now teams can simply sit on Omier inside.

Tbf, we have three guys that aren’t healthy. I really think it’s impacted Omier. He just doesn’t seem as aggressive. Benz has been having some poor games lately, But let’s remember, he had several good games to start the season.

George is light years better than any bench player from last year. Trouble is who’s left. I think Watson has what it takes, but I can’t figure L out at times. Watson needs to play to improve; he’s all but sat lately. Casey is Casey. I thought he’d take the leap but he’s just too soft at the rim for his size. Nwoko looks lost. And his body language isn’t good. Jakai? My favourite mystery man is a good bench guy. Every team needs one. I’ve actually liked what I’ve seen of Djobet.

That being said, last year’s team had some bad losses. I don’t think this team is as good as I thought, but it’s too early to write them off. We could very well go on a hot streak.

I’ll go out on a limb and say I don’t like some of the court demeanor. Seems like some guys are just doing their own thing at times and simply not listening. At this point, I’d consider sending a message and putting guys in who do, even if it costs us in the short term.
Really good post.

It’s a bummer because I’m not sure I’ve ever hyped myself up for a basketball season this much and the losses to Louisville and FSU are just soul crushing.
Think we all were hyped up. But ... we could very easily have been eliminated in the opening round of last year's tourney. Drake had that game won! And, if we had gone out to Drake in the NCAAT, what would our expectations have been for this year? We were playing with more than a bit of "house money" with that Final Four run (as was everyone in the FF not named UConn).

As has so often been pointed out, we desperately needed a big to complement Omier. Somehow, we got by with just him inside last season. Big recruiting failure, off a Final Four, run not to get the player.

We also needed someone outside our present six man rotation to step up. That hasn't happened.

Lastly, Wong and Miller were guys who had that senior leadership, who would -- at the critical point in the second half of games -- step up to stop an opponents' scoring run, or put away the victory for us. Still looking for that leader/player. It's nice to say that could be any of four (five if you wanna count George) very capable guys, but most great teams have that "go to" player who forcefully puts his imprint on the game. So far, not seeing that.

Advertisement

Starting 5
Pack - Pack
Poplar - Benz
Miller - Cleveland
Omier - Omier

our starting 5 is worse because our 5th option (Benz) is not very good and can’t be counted on to make open shots. Rewatch some games last year and see our 5th option (Wooga) making crucial shots. Plus, add in Millers all around game for Cleveland more offensive heavy game. (Minus last night.)

Bench

Benz - Watson
Beverley - George
Casey - Casey
Walker - Nwoku

This years bench is a disaster. There were 3 guys last year that could give you some sort of quality minutes off the bench, either defense or offense. This year that number has been reduced to one.

Quite honestly I believe most of us fell for the hype and just idea of success breeds success this year. This team is not a top 25 roster and a huge part of that falls on the lack of a bench. This team is going to live around .500 in ACC play and be ”next four out” “first four out” “last four byes” “last 4 in“ all year long. We will have our great nights and beat Duke or UNC at home and then lose the next game to Notre Dame.

I had forgotten Walker. A 6'9 guy who could defend, ocassionally hit the 3, rebound and get off running on fast breaks was good to have as our #7.

I had forgotten Walker. A 6'9 guy who could defend, ocassionally hit the 3, rebound and get off running on fast breaks was good to have as our #7.
Occasional is exceedingly generous. People are having major revisionist history with Walker. He averaged 2 points, was a mediocre defender, and was soft around the basket.

He’s playing better this year with Indiana but their scheme better accommodates his limitations and they’re also not good.

Occasional is exceedingly generous. People are having major revisionist history with Walker. He averaged 2 points, was a mediocre defender, and was soft around the basket.

He’s playing better this year with Indiana but their scheme better accommodates his limitations and they’re also not good.
You should probably go back and look at that Houston game or was it Texas? He was flying around dunking in a tournament game. He was not a world beater by any means, but who on the bench(besides George) do you think would be starting over Walker? Walker played in 2 Great 8's and 1 Final 4. We could defintely use him today.

You should probably go back and look at that Houston game or was it Texas? He was flying around dunking in a tournament game. He was not a world beater by any means, but who on the bench(besides George) do you think would be starting over Walker? Walker played in 2 Great 8's and 1 Final 4. We could defintely use him today.

He did play well that game, but Casey is actually ahead of him statistically this year (Casey is averaging a full rebound more per game and they’re within .2 of each other for ppg).

I think there’s still an opportunity for our bench to give more going forward and I think/hope they will.

We gotta ask ourselves why we played better against Clemson and Wake down a starter than we did against FSU and Louisville with everyone available.

Even the best aren’t perfect and I think that might relate to management of our bench/lineups so far this year.

Recent struggles don’t change the fact that KSU is a good team, Georgia is a decent team, and UCF has now beaten Kansas and Texas.

We definitely have the potential to be a lot better than our recent stretch would suggest.

Fortunately there’s still a lot of basketball left.

Advertisement

Starting 5
Pack - Pack
Poplar - Benz
Miller - Cleveland
Omier - Omier

Bench

Benz - Watson
Beverley - George
Casey - Casey
Walker - Nwoku

No bench, no size and no fifth option that hits big shots.... this team is going to get run out of the tourney this year.

Advertisement
He did play well that game, but Casey is actually ahead of him statistically this year (Casey is averaging a full rebound more per game and they’re within .2 of each other for ppg).

I think there’s still an opportunity for our bench to give more going forward and I think/hope they will.

We gotta ask ourselves why we played better against Clemson and Wake down a starter than we did against FSU and Louisville with everyone available.

Even the best aren’t perfect and I think that might relate to management of our bench/lineups so far this year.

Recent struggles don’t change the fact that KSU is a good team, Georgia is a decent team, and UCF has now beaten Kansas and Texas.

We definitely have the potential to be a lot better than our recent stretch would suggest.

Casey is averaging 1.2 points in conference play. Not sure why Watson is in the doghouse and hasn't played the last 2 games. Look, Larranaga was put in a difficult position. When 8 players come to you after reaching the Final Four and say they are hitting the portal, you are scrambling to hold together the roster. You are already losing your 2 best players to the league. Although Wong hadn't made a decision, it was pretty obvious where he was leaning.

Beverly and Walker wanted more playing time. We held onto the two rising sophomores. What is interesting Anthony is getting a couple of more minutes with Indiana. I think he would have gotten more here if he stayed. Who the heck were we picking up in the portal? Nothing more than a developmental big or two. Who was coming here to play maybe 15 minutes? You aren't sitting Omier and you aren't sitting Miller.

I think once Omier leaves, who we all love, opens up a lot of possibilities in the portal next year.

We can **** all over Joseph, but he played a terrific second half against FSU. Matt killed us. Not only could he not buy a shot, but he was very lazy on defense. The third foul on Omier was very impactful and the fourth a real killer.

The injuries to Omier, Pack and Wooga which look to be lingering are really affecting play. This has to be an effort team with this lineup. FSU was out hustling us in the first half. Just like Louisville did in the second half.

Casey is atrocious. It's particularly obvious when you're there in person. He has no idea how to play basketball, zero skill, holds the ball too long, and turns it over.

He's not as bad as Fat Rodney, but he's bad.

Casey is atrocious. It's particularly obvious when you're there in person. He has no idea how to play basketball, zero skill, holds the ball too long, and turns it over.

Yeah… I’m there in person. He’s gotta figure some things out and he’s not an ACC level contributor yet but he’s not atrocious.

This hyperbole is out of control.

For example, Casey is averaging .2 turnovers per game or just under .8 turnovers per 40 minutes.

Casey is also averaging 2.6 rebounds per game or 9.4 rebounds per 40 minutes. His rebounding has significantly improved over the course of this season.

Advertisement

I'm watching Indiana get ripped by Wisky and Walker hasn't played at all. Wisky running 10 guys but coach L is so afraid to play people

he also fires 3s which would be an imediate benching if i was the coach

The pieces also don't fit. A Venn Diagram of Pack, Poplar and George's skillsets are practically concentric circles.

Last year's team was greater than the sum of its parts because everyone contributed something unique. This year's team is less than the sum of its parts because all we have are jump shooters who can't play defense.

The pieces also don't fit. A Venn Diagram of Pack, Poplar and George's skillsets are practically concentric circles.

Last year's team was greater than the sum of its parts because everyone contributed something unique. This year's team is less than the sum of its parts because all we have are jump shooters who can't play defense.
So **** true.

Advertisement
Back