1994 University of Miami Hall of Fame
1971 All-American 1st Team
1971 All-South

#80 Ed Weisacosky
1981 University of Miami HOF
1965 All-American First-Team
1965 University of Miami Team MVP

Advertisement
I would have Denzel at the bottom of that list. I don't think he's better than McCarthy and Beason.

Definitely top 10. Maybe around McCarthy. Lot of guys ahead of him. McIntosh for one that no one has ranked. Lol

DP is the goods but this is LB U. Just to be mentioned with the group is an honor.

I'd put him around Colin and Sean

McIntosh did not really play MLB here. He only started 3 games at Mike his Junior year. We had Vilma, Leon Williams, and Romeo Davis starting at MLB during his time here. The list I provide included most of the starting MLB from 1990-2014, I left out Glenn Cook and Romeo Davis.

He's actually on your pics below your list. To be honest, I won't put any current player above any alum who started a significant time in nfl.

That's why I'd put DP, right now, behind Rocky.

Ray Lewis
Dan Morgan
Jonathan Vilma
Nate Webster
DJ Williams
Jessie Armstead
Jon Beason
Michael Barrow
Roger McIntosh
Colin McCarthy
Sean Spence
Denzel Perryman

I might've missed a couple I'd have to go back and look

But like Whoop says. 12

Last edited:
the defense has been horrific his whole time here. would have been nice to see what he could have done with a real staff and a defensive line that can actually create havoc.

Crazy that Jessie Armstead went in round 8 of the draft

Knee.

http://nypost.com/2010/04/21/giants-armstead-pick-was-better-late-than-never/

Giants’ Armstead pick was better late than never
By Paul SchwartzApril 21, 2010 | 4:00am

Once considered the best high school football player in the nation, Jessie Armstead knew leading up to the 1993 NFL Draft that he would not hear his name called in the first round. As a sophomore he had blown out his right knee, came back to finish second on the Miami Hurricanes defense in tackles but realized his injury history had devalued him.

“I’m not taken in the first round because I’m wrecked up, like a wrecked up car,” Armstead recently told The Post. “You don’t expect anyone to give you same dollar for the car that’s not wrecked. But give me half the price, take me in the third or fourth round.”

Spoken like a car dealer, which makes sense. Armstead is owner of Hamilton (N.J.) Honda, in addition to his role as a special assistant/consultant for the Giants — where he is part coach, part guidance counselor, part recruiter and an important member of the football operation.

He also is perhaps the best draft pick in modern Giants history, an eighth-round selection that evolved into a five-time Pro Bowl linebacker and one of the fiercest and determined players ever to stalk a Giants defense. Getting a future Hall of Famer (Harry Carson) in the fourth round in 1976 was a steal, but he wasn’t an after-thought like Armstead.
285851_display_image.jpg

“I look at it, it’s easy to be first-rounder,” Armstead said. “Maybe I can be an inspiration to a guy picked in the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh round or a free agent. I think I can affect more people by my story than a guy who went in the first or second round. What did he do that he wasn’t supposed to do?”

Seventeen years ago this month, Armstead nearly went unnoticed. Coming out of Dallas, he was the top recruit in the country and Jimmy Johnson convinced him to enroll at Miami. A few weeks later, Johnson left to take over the Cowboys. As the draft neared, Johnson promised Armstead he would take him if he were still available in the sixth round.

Armstead was there for the taking in Round 6 and Johnson passed. By the time Armstead heard his name, it was the eighth round and 206 players already had been selected. Armstead was the 32nd linebacker taken. Heck, the Giants hardly were big believers. They took two linebackers — Marcus Buckley and Tommy Thigpen — before using their last selection on a player they figured could play special teams and maybe even safety but never amount to much as an undersized linebacker.

“My original thought was, ‘What the heck are the Giants picking me for?’ ” Armstead recalled. “You think of New York, they want those big old linebackers. The first thing you think of, LT, big linebacker. Pepper Johnson, big linebacker. Carl Banks, big linebacker. Where do I fit in? But I really don’t care. They called me, I’m going to raise **** wherever I go.”

During his first rookie camp, Armstead scanned a draft class that included Michael Strahan and determined, “I was the best player, I knew it. I was born to be a football player. That’s the difference between me and 95 percent of football players. I wasn’t taught to do this, I was born to do this.”

In his first rookie camp Armstead was given No. 98 — hardly a uniform befitting a linebacker — and remembers getting a shabby pair of cleats that screamed, “You’re not going to be here much longer.” He took no prisoners. It took three full seasons to break into the starting lineup. Once he did, he never left. He made the Pro Bowl five consecutive years (1997-2001). When he was on the field, he said it was “my time to hunt,” and he meant it.

“I know a lot of people that say they should have got drafted a lot of spots before, but I was different situation,” Armstead said. “With me, a lot of people dropped the ball. It wasn’t a situation where a diamond came out of a rough. It was a diamond the whole time.”

I would have Denzel at the bottom of that list. I don't think he's better than McCarthy and Beason.

Definitely top 10. Maybe around McCarthy. Lot of guys ahead of him. McIntosh for one that no one has ranked. Lol

DP is the goods but this is LB U. Just to be mentioned with the group is an honor.

McIntosh did not really play MLB here. He only started 3 games at Mike his Junior year. We had Vilma, Leon Williams, and Romeo Davis starting at MLB during his time here. The list I provide included most of the starting MLB from 1990-2014, I left out Glenn Cook and Romeo Davis.

He's actually on your pics below your list. To be honest, I won't put any current player above any alum who started a significant time in nfl.

Ray Lewis
Dan Morgan
Jonathan Vilma
Nate Webster
DJ Williams
Jessie Armstead
Jon Beason
Michael Barrow
Roger McIntosh
Colin McCarthy
Sean Spence
Denzel Perryman

But like Whoop says. 12

What does the NFL have to do with a college list?

Beason ahead of Barrow? Mcintosh ahead of the guys below him?

Advertisement
Would have been something if Jimmy kept his word and picked Armstead to go along with Darrin Smith and Kevin Williams that draft. The Dallas Hurricanes would have been even more awesome...

88 Michael Irvin
85 Kevin Williams
18 Bernie Kosar
67 Russell Maryland
59 Darrin Smith
97 Jimmie Jones

98 Jesse Armstead

Ray Lewis
Dan Morgan
Jonathan Vilma
Nate Webster
DJ Williams
Jessie Armstead
Jon Beason
Michael Barrow
Roger McIntosh
Colin McCarthy
Sean Spence
Denzel Perryman

But like Whoop says. 12

Yes this list is not based on production in the NFL or Crum would not be on there as he did not make it to the NFL but was an all American at the U and lead the team in tackles for 3 straight years. The picture includes all LBs from UM not just MLBs. DJ never got to play in the middle the U because he played along side Vilma.

I love Ray Lewis but Morgan was one of the best college LBs ever... Also Ray only played 3 years at the U. Dan started 4 and had over 100 tackles in all 4 season.

Freshman All-American second-team, All-Big East Team, All-Big East second-team
First freshman linebacker to start for the Hurricanes since Ray Lewis in 1993.
First sophomore team captain in team history
Finalist for the Butkus Award and the Nagurski Trophy as a junior
Won Bednarik Award, Butkus Award, and the Nagurski Trophy becoming the first player in NCAA history to win all three awards in a career (and the same year). He was recognized as a first-team All-Big East selection, the Big East Defensive Player of the Year, and a unanimous first-team All-American in 2000. Morgan held the Hurricanes' team and Big East conference records for most career tackles with 532.

Ray Lewis
Dan Morgan
Jonathan Vilma
Nate Webster
DJ Williams
Jessie Armstead
Jon Beason
Michael Barrow
Roger McIntosh
Colin McCarthy
Sean Spence
Denzel Perryman

But like Whoop says. 12

Yes this list is not based on production in the NFL or Crum would not be on there as he did not make it to the NFL but was an all American at the U and lead the team in tackles for 3 straight years. The picture includes all LBs from UM not just MLBs. DJ never got to play in the middle the U because he played along side Vilma.

You have solid points but how else do you account for lack of production under poor college coaching?
Denzel and Sean could be further up list under Butch. Dan probably isn't first round pick under Gorlden.

Advertisement
Maybe the best tackler I've seen at the U. Consistent with excellent form and pop.

You look at production at Miami.

Spence was insanely productive here.
Perryman is productive despite the scheme.

Both had better college careers then Beason and McIntosh.

The only reason DP started as a freshman is because we suck. He would not have started as a frosh 10 years ago..

This should have been our starting LBs this year...
20121006_lbm_sc6_405.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Figs, Armbrister, Grace, Kirby off the bench
Juwon and Owens should be redshirting this year and contributing next year.

Advertisement
The guy he's probably the most comparable to is Webster, although I think Webster was a better LB and would have had a huge senior year had he stayed.

Beason was crucified here missed many tackles. Perryman has had a better college career than Beason

do u see the defense Denzel is playing on..the worst i have ever seen that alone..puts him at the bottom of the list...and to add to it..he plays in a defense that basically is funneling all the plays to him....including 20 yd passes and runs...our dline serve no purpose...and someone actually has to make the tackle..and in No Frio's d ....its PERRYMAN.

Beason had other nfl guys in his lb core and starting in front of him at times...and he played for a dc that had favortism..and a love affair with a certain lb.

GTFOH...

Perryman is at the bottom of my list..he plays with the same tenactity and thump as Beason though....its not even close when it comes to coverage or sideline to sidline ability of the two.

Advertisement
The fact that he plays on 2 of the worst defenses known to mankind, he drops. A lot. Sorry. He's doing his thing and I blame No D more than anything but I don't see others around him being great because he's beside them. And they are openly admitting they are at fault for the suckage. Maybe when he's a pro it may get revised

people here sure have short memories....no way in **** beason or mccarthy are under perryman

Advertisement
Back