Where do we go from here?

" And, more importantly, at no point was hiring the overall best coach for the job the primary concern ( EMPHASIS ADDED!!!! ). It was always finding the guy they wanted to hire for political, financial, or stability reasons, and then reverse engineering the logic from there, hoping the football would work out. " fivereasonssports.com

And that Cane dudes is the rub. huh?

Nevertheless, all of these HC's since Mr. Onion Head's tenure were good enough for a NINE win regular season. But crapped out in bowl games. Ouch. And as the vast majority of Cane dudes know. The proverbial nefarious powerw that be are " satisfied"- EMPHASIS ADDED- with eight or nine regular season wins. And said university power brokers DON'T GIVE an F' if the Canes lose a particular bowl game. huh? Because they know the football program is still going to receive their pot of the bowl game payout.
You bring up a good point.

What is the definition of a "good" HC for University of Coral Gables from BoT perspective (hint: theirs' is all that matters)?

5-8 W/season paying staff Top 30ish salaries?
Massive repeated success.

Championships (regardless of staff pay)?
Massive repeated failure.

What does THIS BoT want? We have at least some indication via "E before W" Lemonis.....

Advertisement
Talent evaluation has been an issue but there are even bigger issues.

We have horrible gameplans. Look at UL, NC State, UNC, and Ok State games and tell me what the gameplan was? Those teams got off to fast starts because we had a poor gameplan. I get that Manny/Baker are trying to cover for the poor play of our DBs but we allow teams to nickel and dime us for long drives. It looked like a **** 7-on-7 drill against Ok State in the first half.

Our pre-snap defensive alignments worry me. We're beat before the ball is snapped. You can tell pre-snap where the QB is going with the ball based on our pre-snap alignment. You want to know why average QBs have career games against us consistently just go back and look at how we are set. Go back and watch Gurvan Hall covering the slot while he's 10 yards off and backpedals at the snap. You tell me where the QB is going with the ball. A freshman wr with two catches all year had three TDs and a career night. That sh%t can't happen.

I think it was Bolden who after the game said we made the adjustment to blitz more in the 2nd half. We all knew leading up to the game that Ok State's QB struggled against pressure yet we let him get comfortable and confident to start the game by sitting back.

And our poor situational football is troubling. Why is Ivy 10-12 yards off when it's 3rd and 6?

I hope Manny is the right guy but I have serious doubts. Playing McCloud when he does not deserve to see the field is hypocritical. You can't talk about accountability when you keep trotting McCloud onto the field. On one drive in the 2nd half, McCloud allowed their QB to pick up two first downs running to his side because he didn't set the edge at DE.

Rumph and Baker should not be retained. And no way in **** should you promote Banda to DC. Let him go to Utah State. We need more experience at the DC position, someone with a different approach who can bring a fresh perspective.
Right on! Once mighty OK. ST's young QB found his " groove thing. " And once he gained confidence , he and the offense, knew they " had " Miami's DC in the proverbial " check. " Nevertheless, at least the defense FINALLY woke up in the second-half ( I personally thought Thee King's had something to with it ( At least to a lesser, lesser degree. ). But coming back from a 21 point deficit was too much. Especially with a veteran QB who didn't see any MEANINGFUL minutes all season long.

How was Miami outcoached in the VT, UL, and Pitt games?

Go back and look at some of the defensive alignments against U of L then look at the Ok State alignments. Look at the situational football we are playing. The other teams offense has 3rd and 6 or 7 and our DBs are playing 10 yards off or in the case of Tutu, 12 yards off with a safety (Bolden).

Another .500 level season coming up. We'll be blown out in the first game and stumble around winning a few games against bad teams. SOS.
Baker will probably be back. Maybe Rumph gets axed but we keep everyone else. This is a permanent three loss team at best. No one gives a **** about improving it. Does this BOT even know all our athletic teams are pure ***? Or do they just like them that way? How about a President for once that cares about something besides the mess at the med school?
(No chance at the Coastal anymore with Mack Brown bending Manny over every fall. Enjoys torturing him as he thinks he sucks.)

Advertisement
Go back and look at some of the defensive alignments against U of L then look at the Ok State alignments. Look at the situational football we are playing. The other teams offense has 3rd and 6 or 7 and our DBs are playing 10 yards off or in the case of Tutu, 12 yards off with a safety (Bolden).
Miami dominated UL. Yes, the Cardinals made some plays, but the game wasn’t close. Same against Pittsbugh. VT we struggled early without a lot of players, but came back and won.

Oklahoma State, I agree, at least the abysmal first quarter. And still, the coaches adjusted and could have win the game.

I’m no Manny fan, but no team wins every play, every series. Even Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

Notice Manny never mentions “The Standard” anymore? Because he doesn’t hold his Lakers or staff to it. Excuses and coddling.

Really?! List em..
Well, the only fair way to list them is to use 24/7 composite ranking when they finish HS. It's the HC job to mold them, teach them, develop them and get them to fulfill their potential. When I agreed that we did have the "jimmies and joes" to be a better team it was based on what I thought of those players coming out of HS. If there is a recurring theme of disappointment then you look at the common denominator: Coaching and development.

There is no crystal ball to know how HS players will turn out in few years of college development. But this is where coaching comes in play. Think of it for a minute and honestly answer this: If SF HS players who Saban got in the last few years signed with Diaz instead, would they perform at the same level at Miami as they are performing now at Alabama?

These are the "jimmies and joes" we got in 2018:

Gurvan Hall 4 stars
Al Blades Jr 4 stars
Gilbert Frierson 4 stars
Nesta Silvera 4 Stars
DJ Ivey 4 stars
Jordan Miller 3 stars
Patrick Joyner 3 stars
Those are the defensive players who we signed in 2018 and they are still on the roster.

Five players rated as 4 stars by 24/7 and two 3 stars. How much better you want your "jimmies and joe's" to be so you don't give up 62 points to middle of the pack school like NC?

Yes, we do have the "jimmies and joe's to do much better on defense than what we have been doing. We just don't have the coaching to mold them into the players they could be if went to other schools with a better coach.

Ref: 2018 Miami Football commits

Last edited:
Miami dominated UL. Yes, the Cardinals made some plays, but the game wasn’t close. Same against Pittsbugh. VT we struggled early without a lot of players, but came back and won.

Oklahoma State, I agree, at least the abysmal first quarter. And still, the coaches adjusted and could have win the game.

I’m no Manny fan, but no team wins every play, every series. Even Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

No one dominates every play true but go back and look at some of the season averages for yards, points per game by every decent to good team we played and you'll see a trend. Other teams with lesser talent but better coaching performed better than Miami against the same teams.

Advertisement
No one dominates every play true but go back and look at some of the season averages for yards, points per game by every decent to good team we played and you'll see a trend. Other teams with lesser talent but better coaching performed better than Miami against the same teams.
Have a great new year.

Fact is short and sweet...if we don’t totally re-do the defense we aren’t going anywhere....

Advertisement
Back