Where are the DT recruits? Why are they avoiding UM?

Jethro Franklin is why

It's not Franklin. He takes his orders from the Fat Boys.

He is hands down the worst coach on staff. Can't close DT's or develop DL.
Al Golden didn't hire him (and choose not to fire him) or anything...

It's really amazing how dumb some of you all are. I really wonder how you get through the day.

What are you talking about?

Before Golden came here and in Randy Shannon's last year, we had Rick Petri as our D-line coach. That guy was amazing and was getting every ounce of production out of our line. Golden let him go and brought on Franklin. That decision has haunted us for the last 4 years given our non-existent defensive line penetration.

Advertisement
DTs don't want take space all game long, the system is a joke. The Sapps, Browns and Marylands of the world would never have existed had they played in this system.

We also need some ends, no one could get around the end to put any pressure on the QB Saturday.

We also need some ends, no one could get around the end to put any pressure on the QB Saturday.

SMH Im trying to hold on to my sanity on this board

Miami has enough top defensive end talent on the roster, the problem is scheme, Jethro Franklin, Dnofrio, and Golden.

Advertisement

Have you read anything stated in this thread? We have the talent to get to the QB, the scheme is for them to block a man and let someone else make a play.

DT's don't like our defense - and don't want to be a 'stump.'

That crap won't get them in the league.

There you have it, folks. There are not as many 3-4 teams in the league soooo the money is paid to these penetrating 1 gap DT's. These kids see that and they aren't stupid, so they avoid schools that play a majority of 2 Gap stuff.Thats all that I can make out of it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
119713-650-366.jpg

OP this question has been answered several times over the years already. UM currently runs a defensive system that is not predicated on single gap pressure, but instead two gap control which requires moderately athletic massive players that are extremely strong an have long arms. The problem is these players are generally not highly ranked and are hard to find because they generally don't garner alot of publicity or recruiting attention nationally, so a school needs a very good network of recruiting spotters (a la the Bama's/LSU's/Wisconsin's of the world) Yup I said it Wisconsin has a massive NT player committed from US Samoa (that's an island in the pacific for those that don't know). The other issue is the admissions department at UM, often times DT's/NT's don't have the best grades which is why so many good ones come out of the JUCO ranks.

An as for the attack on 4 current players mentioned I think they fit the system we run, but there is no quality depth to spell the players thus causing their performance to wane as the game progresses.

SMH Im trying to hold on to my sanity on this board

Miami has enough top defensive end talent on the roster, the problem is scheme, Jethro Franklin, Dnofrio, and Golden.

Somebody que the "Where they at though" gif

All I'm saying is yes I understand some the schemes we run are a little too advance or complicated for our young talent and nothing against our young talent but even a blind man can see that none of them were able to come off the edge and get the QB. You can say the scheme is for them to tie up the blocker so someone else can make the tackle but they definitely wasn't true every single play. Go back and watch the game. The talent we have is good for ACC Coastal play but when we play teams like the team this past wknd, you have to have the talent that can compete on that level. Depth and development is an issue that needs to be address all alone that Line from end to end.

Have you read anything stated in this thread? We have the talent to get to the QB, the scheme is for them to block a man and let someone else make a play.

I don't think too many people read the threads anymore but the usual suspects. But yes I understand that we run schemes that ask players of that, but I'm sure it doesn't ask that for every single play there were times you could see them trying to get to the QB just can't beat their man. Watch the game again. I will too

Advertisement
Its not just on the DL. We have 7, count them 7 defensive players committed of our 20! and no CBs, despite we having only 6 and 3 upperclassmen. This is worried time. This is Randy's 2010 clas aaaaalll over again. I thought i was the only one looking at this. I cant find any news articles about any notable defender. Bunch of JAGS

It doesnt help that SFLA isn't really a hotbed for DT's.

I completely agree with this. Apparently some people don't want to hear it, based on snide replies I receive on the topic, but South Florida high school football is hardly perfect or well balanced.

Attend as many games as I do and the trend is overwhelming: Lots of very skilled running backs, wide receivers and defensive backs, along with undersized edge guys on defense. Those players dominate the games. Those games are invariably undisciplined and not physical. I see many more water breaks and personal foul penalties than skilled defensive tackles. In fact, this might have been the worst season in recent memory. I'm not sure I can name one guy who jumped out at me as a sure fire college prospect at that position. Granted, I didn't see quite as many games in the northern part of the county as I normally do. I hope to see a couple more before the playoffs end.

Anyway, I hope we grab some kids from the current squads of Killian and Coral Gables. They had several athletic and aggressive guys who stood out to me, primarily on defense, although nobody quite to the level of Perryman several years ago.

Advertisement
Jimmy and his followers never recruited DTs. He recruited large framed athletes who could grow into the position. Warren Sapp being the ultimate example. It works when you run a single gap cover-2 over front that no one on earth had seen before.

Awsi, the non-Cane fan that he is, seems to feel that all south florida has are fast little guys. What Jimmy did was take those undersized fast guys and put them up closer to the line, and developed coverage systems to allow those fast guys to flow to the ball and not have to take on OL the way most defenses did.

Al's defense eliminates the ability to recruit a bunch of fast twitch athletes and drop them down a position. (safeties to LB, OLB to DE, DE to DT, etc) that is why there are "no DT recruits". His system requires them to go after the rare high school kid who has the size/strength to 2 gap.

Jimmy and his followers never recruited DTs. He recruited large framed athletes who could grow into the position.

That's a got dayum lie. Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland and others were recruited as Defensive tackles. Second, Warren Sapp was not recruited by Jimmie Johnson. He was recruited by Dennis Erickson, as a TE. However, Warren Sapp did not want to move to defensive tackle. However, he was convinced to move to defensive tackle in order to see the field. Ask me how I know, I was there.

Jimmy and his followers never recruited DTs. He recruited large framed athletes who could grow into the position.

That's a got dayum lie. Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland and others were recruited as Defensive tackles. Second, Warren Sapp was not recruited by Jimmie Johnson. He was recruited by Dennis Erickson, as a TE. However, Warren Sapp did not want to move to defensive tackle. However, he was convinced to move to defensive tackle in order to see the field. Ask me how I know, I was there.

Hey you mentally deficient slug, Russell Maryland was a wrestler in high school, though he did play football. He had one major scholarship offer. He was NOT an elite DT prospect in high school by any stretch.

Second of all, read the full post. HIS FOLLOWERS followed this same approach. Among them, Tommy Tuberville, who recruited Sapp as an assistant and DC under Dennis. He was part of the JJ regime and stayed at Miami under Dennis.

Thirdly, yes, Sapp was a TE. He was a freak athlete with size and Miami coaches valued that over experience playing DT, and over strength.

Advertisement
Back