When your head coach has to take over your DC job mid season and you still keep your job

I don't know that he took over full time coordinator duties but he definitely became much more involved. That's a bad sign when the 1st year HC has to step in to help the 1st year DC. Probably a good indication that the job is too big for the rookie DC.

I disagree as that is what every coach in the land essentially does aside from a few.

Head coaches oversee everything. They add input where they please.

Make no mistake about it, this is Manny's defense. Of course he will have a say in it and do what any other head coach would do when he sees issues, get involved. Head coaches also sit with their units when planning for the upcoming opponents as well as before and after practices typically.

He didn't take it away from Blake. That would be a problem. Nobody knows what input was given, but I'm sure Blake brought some things to the table, Diaz says let's try them, and away they went. Sometimes things work, other times they don't.

Welcome to football, this is what happens.

Advertisement
I don’t think the defense was that sound when Manny was running it we luck into 2 great D line coaches that help cover up some flaws on the back seven

Then what actually is your job now, and why do you still have it?

there’s always someone the office that makes you go y tf does he have a job ?
that’s basically Baker
Maybe he gives really good rub downs for manny who knows

Advertisement
Simpson was a big loss
Brother, you are NOT kidding! The best two DL coaches we've had the last two decades are Simpson and Palermo. A lot of people dump on Kul for his lack of run support, but I would take him back in a heartbeat over Stroud.

Advertisement
Brother, you are NOT kidding! The best two DL coaches we've had the last two decades are Simpson and Palermo. A lot of people dump on Kul for his lack of run support, but I would take him back in a heartbeat over Stroud.
I’ll take all three over him kool just didn’t care about recruiting

I’ll take all three over him kool just didn’t care about recruiting
True. But, Kul did have us killing QB's for the 1st time in way too many years.

I just don't understand what's so hard about teaching DL technique. We're not splitting atoms here. You teach a DL 3 or 4 moves and how to effectively stunt and you've got a decent DL. It's a mystery...

Where can I find the information that states Manny took over the defense mid-season?

You are throwing a wrench in what could be yet another hate fest. In the future, please do not allow facts to get in the way of these attacks. Of course, Manny taking over the defense is a lie that the trolls are using to...once again...attack Manny and the program.

I disagree as that is what every coach in the land essentially does aside from a few.

Head coaches oversee everything. They add input where they please.

Make no mistake about it, this is Manny's defense. Of course he will have a say in it and do what any other head coach would do when he sees issues, get involved. Head coaches also sit with their units when planning for the upcoming opponents as well as before and after practices typically.

He didn't take it away from Blake. That would be a problem. Nobody knows what input was given, but I'm sure Blake brought some things to the table, Diaz says let's try them, and away they went. Sometimes things work, other times they don't.

Welcome to football, this is what happens.

When have other head coaches stepped up involvement to help a struggling coordinator? Head coaches may keep tabs on an area but they don't usually need to step up involvement significantly. When they do, that's a pretty good indication that the coordinator needs to be replaced. The defense looked terrible and it was widely reported that Diaz needed to get more involved. Thats a bad look for the DC.

If the coordinator is just a glorified assistant (I think Mark Richt technically had an offensive coordinator) that's one thing. If the coordinator is supposed to function independently, then a head coach needing to take time from other aspects of his head coaching job to mentor his defensive coordinator is a clear sign the DC isnt ready. If you have a DC with decades of experience and things were going sideways, I can understand the HC and the DC getting together to deconflict their different defensive philosophies. Baker isn't a highly experienced DC so his shortcomings seem to be more competence-related rather than about his defensive philosophy.

“What has been completely unacceptable is the play of our defense,” Diaz said of the season as a whole. “To not be able to make a stop in any of those sudden change situations (the turnovers) that has been the part that has been the most disappointing part to me—dating back to the North Carolina game. I have made some changes. I am going to change my role in coaching the defense. The players were made aware of that yesterday.”

Advertisement
When have other head coaches stepped up involvement to help a struggling coordinator? Head coaches may keep tabs on an area but they don't usually need to step up involvement significantly. When they do, that's a pretty good indication that the coordinator needs to be replaced. The defense looked terrible and it was widely reported that Diaz needed to get more involved. Thats a bad look for the DC.

If the coordinator is just a glorified assistant (I think Mark Richt technically had an offensive coordinator) that's one thing. If the coordinator is supposed to function independently, then a head coach needing to take time from other aspects of his head coaching job to mentor his defensive coordinator is a clear sign the DC isnt ready. If you have a DC with decades of experience and things were going sideways, I can understand the HC and the DC getting together to deconflict their different defensive philosophies. Baker isn't a highly experienced DC so his shortcomings seem to be more competence-related rather than about his defensive philosophy.

“What has been completely unacceptable is the play of our defense,” Diaz said of the season as a whole. “To not be able to make a stop in any of those sudden change situations (the turnovers) that has been the part that has been the most disappointing part to me—dating back to the North Carolina game. I have made some changes. I am going to change my role in coaching the defense. The players were made aware of that yesterday.”

Again, same thing I said, you just want to make it more than it is. You're not alone in that.

That came after a VT game where we couldn't stop anything. Prior to that, the 24 (UF), 28 (UNC), 0 (BCU), and 12 (CSau).

The numbers were similar throughout the season on scoring defense. That's just coach talk as everyone wanted to know how VT could score that much.

Yes, of course he's going to get involved more. That's typical of coaches who had a side, in particular when they were there at the school before they became the head coach.

He's never going to let the defense go unless he clones himself. There will always be input, not autonomy. He probably did see things could be done differently, coached his way. Again, par for the course.

Again, same thing I said, you just want to make it more than it is. You're not alone in that.

That came after a VT game where we couldn't stop anything. Prior to that, the 24 (UF), 28 (UNC), 0 (BCU), and 12 (CSau).

The numbers were similar throughout the season on scoring defense. That's just coach talk as everyone wanted to know how VT could score that much.

Yes, of course he's going to get involved more. That's typical of coaches who had a side, in particular when they were there at the school before they became the head coach.

He's never going to let the defense go unless he clones himself. There will always be input, not autonomy. He probably did see things could be done differently, coached his way. Again, par for the course.

I disagree. I think it is more than just involvement. As Diaz himself said, the defense was terrible and he was going to change his role. Getting "more involved" and having to "change his role" are degrees apart IMO. In the real world, if your boss says "I am going to get more involved" in your work, its reasonable if the stakes are high enough. If your boss declares, "You're work has not met expectations and I am changing my role to get it back on track", most people would start preparing their resumes. Diaz said the latter.

Advertisement
maybe they are hiring a chauffeur for tate and his girlfriend when he decides to take off a couple of weeks during the season to be with her

I disagree. I think it is more than just involvement. As Diaz himself said, the defense was terrible and he was going to change his role. Getting "more involved" and having to "change his role" are degrees apart IMO. In the real world, if your boss says "I am going to get more involved" in your work, its reasonable if the stakes are high enough. If your boss declares, "You're work has not met expectations and I am changing my role to get it back on track", most people would start preparing their resumes. Diaz said the latter.

That is your interpretation.

Fact is, he was scrambling, three losses and only two wins.

Coach speak, but giving up 45, you can bet he thinks he could've done better.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Have a good one!

Advertisement
Back