When you think of garbage, think of Akeem.

Coach Macho

aka Beardy Ryan
mcdonalds smile GIF

And by "Akeem" I mean UM's starting WR unit.

I was at the game today. My boy X got me tickets, sat with his family. I was told the young WR's would get lots of opportunities today, specifically X. (per Likens mouth)
Didn't see what I hoped for.

This was my first game since the Covid. Pretty awkward experience. I must say, with the current situation I much rather watch it at home. I didn't enjoy being reprimanded by the Hard Rock Mask Enforcement Agency every time I lowered my mask to get a breath of fresh air or a sip of my delicious $19 soft drink. This fvckin' guy in our section was like a got**** gnat!

And man, I know we won but for some reason it didn't feel like that afterwards. Now that I'm back home and just finished giving a petite silicon-breasted Cubanita the best 2.5 minutes of her life...I'm sitting here with a fresh order of extra crispy lemon pepper wangs and a side order of optimism. (or maybe it's just the Cubanita and LP wings that have me feeling this way)

OFFENSE
I'm as frustrated as many of you are, but I'm trying to look at things from a different perspective. Pitt plays a PRESS QUARTERS coverage, which is basically just Cover-0 with the CB's beating up the WR's at the line. We already know how our WR's struggle against 1-on-1 press coverage, so I didn't expect anything from them this game anyway. Even FIU and UAB played press on our WR's. They're THAT bad! When your outside WR's have ZERO SHOT to get open, it severely limits your offense. Let me put it into perspective for yall...

There's 5 eligible WR's on every play, but generally the offense only uses 4 since most of the time the RB stays in for protection.
If I can effectively eliminate 2 of those WR's by "canceling them out" via press-man coverage, that means I can play zone/brackets versus the other 2 WR's with my remaining 5 defenders in the secondary. (which will completely take away the middle of the field)
So for those of you that are wondering why we don't throw to the middle of the field more, it's likely because it's a 5-on-2 matchup within the hashes (in favor of the defense).

Before we give Lashlee too much ****, let's consider those facts. Let's also consider HOW he was able to generate 31 points versus a defense that hasn't given up 31 (in regulation) all season.

*If a defense is going to play press Quarters (aka Cover-0) then the one place you can exploit them is getting your RB involved the passing game via the middle. Lashlee employed this idea for our first TD. The Safeties have no choice but to cover the slot WR's. So if the slot WR's run the Safeties off, your RB will be one-on-one with a LB. Well what's an easy way to get that RB open? Run a fake QB run, pull the Guard to suck the LB's in, then sneak the RB right down the pipe. TOUCHDOWN. Creative call by Lashlee to scheme up a wide-open pass catcher.

*Another way to ***** with press-man coverage (or any match zone coverage) is to run bunch sets and/or have WR's cross as they're stemming their routes off the LOS. This screws with the distribution of coverage responsibilities and can sometimes lead to busts in coverage. We just saw it on Waddle's 90 yard TD in the Bama/Georgia game, and we saw it earlier today on Harley's long TD. The distribution of routes by our WR's caused 2 Pitt DB's to cover the same guy and leave Harley wide open. Again, Lashlee scheming up a wide open WR.

*Earlier in the game we ran a formation that had Cam Harris set-out wide at WR and only Will Mallory in the backfield. When I saw this I said "WTF are we doing? This is obviously a QB run!" I originally thought it was a terrible call because as a DC I KNOW you're not handing the ball to Will Mallory, I'm thinking QB run immediately. Well it got stuffed and I was thoroughly SMH. Well remember how Lashlee ran an unsuccessful play early in the Louisville game, only to come back later and run a wrinkle off that SAME PLAY (that had Rooster running wiiiiiide open for a TD)? Well he did it again today. Lashlee came back to that same formation and this time FAKED the QB run and had Mallory run wide open up the seam.

We don't have the skill or talent to beat anybody one-on-one, so Lashlee is forced to use creativity to scheme guys open. On all 4 of our TD's today, guys were SCHEMED open.

Now, am I happy with everything we do on offense? No. But you have to be objective and look at the circumstances. WE FVCKIN' SUCK ON THE OUTSIDE! And as I mentioned earlier, when you can effectively "cancel out" two WR's, that leaves the offense with a very unfavorable numbers disadvantage. (specifically 5-on-2)

I also might add that being at the game, and having an endzone vantage point, allowed me to see that King does in fact miss wide open WR's at times. Folks, I know we're excited to finally have a decent QB, but he's far from the goods. Other than his occasional scrambles, he ain't exactly doing the offense any favors either. His vertical throws are usually pretty terrible. And the times that we do have WR's open in the middle/intermediate part of the field, he doesn't see them. (starting to wonder if that's a height thing) One could argue that height attributed to his first interception. And his second INT was a phenomenal call by Pitt's DC. That actually is supposed to be the open throw versus press-quarters, but Pitt called a "trap" coverage on that play, figuring that we would throw a route to the sticks. If you watch the CB on that play, he shows man coverage for like the first 5-7 yards and then converts into a Cover-2 zone. He was right there for that route. Great call by their DC.

As far as not being able to run the ball well...
Pitt makes it tough on their opponents. Again, they basically play Cover-0 and their defenders are aggressive towards that box. The only way to loosen them up is to win at WR, and our guys can't do it. Until we get those young guys rollin, or recruit some better talent, Lashlee will have to keep being creative to scheme guys open.

DEFENSE

Eddie Murphy Shut Up GIF by Bounce

I've said my part over and over again. Nothing has changed. Same ****, different Saturday.

SIDENOTE: I bought a throwback UM Starter jacket today. 2 Live Crew style baby! Now I just need a gold rope chain if anybody's got one for sale.

Last edited:
Advertisement
mcdonalds smile GIF

I was at the game today. My boy X got me tickets, sat with his family. I was told the young WR's would get lots of opportunities today, specifically X. (per Likens mouth)

This was my first game since the Covid. Pretty awkward experience. I must say, with the current situation I much rather watch it at home. I didn't enjoy being reprimanded by the Hard Rock Mask Enforcement Agency every time I lowered my mask to get a breath of fresh air or a sip of my delicious $19 soft drink. This fvckin' guy in our section was like a got**** gnat!

And man, I know we won but for some reason it didn't feel like that afterwards. Now that I'm back home and just finished giving a petite silicon-breasted Cubanita the best 2.5 minutes of her life...I'm sitting here with a fresh order of extra crispy lemon pepper wangs and a side order of optimism. (or maybe it's just the Cubanita and LP wings that have me feeling this way)

OFFENSE
I'm as frustrated as many of you are, but I'm trying to look at things from a different perspective. Pitt plays a PRESS QUARTERS coverage, which is basically just Cover-0 with the CB's beating up the WR's at the line. We already know how our WR's struggle against 1-on-1 press coverage, so I didn't expect anything from them this game anyway. Even FIU and UAB played press on our WR's. They're THAT bad! When your outside WR's have ZERO SHOT to get open, it severely limits your offense. Let me put it into perspective for yall...

There's 5 eligible WR's on every play, but generally the offense only uses 4 since most of the time the RB stays in for protection.
If I can effectively eliminate 2 of those WR's by "canceling them out" via press-man coverage, that means I can play zone/brackets versus the other 2 WR's with my remaining 5 defenders in the secondary. (which will completely take away the middle of the field)
So for those of you that are wondering why we don't throw to the middle of the field more, it's likely because it's a 5-on-2 matchup within the hashes (in favor of the defense).

Before we give Lashlee too much ****, let's consider those facts. Let's also consider HOW he was able to generate 31 points versus a defense that hasn't given up 31 (in regulation) all season.

*If a defense is going to play press Quarters (aka Cover-0) then the one place you can exploit them is getting your RB involved the passing game via the middle. Lashlee employed this idea for our first TD. The Safeties have no choice but to cover the slot WR's. So if the slot WR's run the Safeties off, your RB will be one-on-one with a LB. Well what's an easy way to get that RB open? Run a fake QB run, pull the Guard to suck the LB's in, then sneak the RB right down the pipe. TOUCHDOWN. Creative call by Lashlee to scheme up a wide-open pass catcher.

*Another way to ***** with press-man coverage (or any match zone coverage) is to run bunch sets and/or have WR's cross as they're stemming their routes off the LOS. This screws with the distribution of coverage responsibilities and can sometimes lead to busts in coverage. We just saw it on Waddle's 90 yard TD in the Bama/Georgia game, and we saw it earlier today on Harley's long TD. The distribution of routes by our WR's caused 2 Pitt DB's to cover the same guy and leave Harley wide open. Again, Lashlee scheming up a wide open WR.

*Earlier in the game we ran a formation that had Cam Harris set-out wide at WR and only Will Mallory in the backfield. When I saw this I said "WTF are we doing? This is obviously a QB run!" I originally thought it was a terrible call because as a DC I KNOW you're not handing the ball to Will Mallory, I'm thinking QB run immediately. Well it got stuffed and I was thoroughly SMH. Well remember how Lashlee ran an unsuccessful play early in the Louisville game, only to come back later and run a wrinkle off that SAME PLAY (that had Rooster running wiiiiiide open for a TD)? Well he did it again today. Lashlee came back to that same formation and this time FAKED the QB run and had Mallory run wide open up the seam.

We don't have the skill or talent to beat anybody one-on-one, so Lashlee is forced to use creativity to scheme guys open. On all 4 of our TD's today, guys were SCHEMED open.

Now, am I happy with everything we do on offense? No. But you have to be objective and look at the circumstances. WE FVCKIN' SUCK ON THE OUTSIDE! And as I mentioned earlier, when you can effectively "cancel out" two WR's, that leaves the offense with a very unfavorable numbers disadvantage. (specifically 5-on-2)

I also might add that being at the game, and having an endzone vantage point, allowed me to see that King does in fact miss wide open WR's at times. Folks, I know we're excited to finally have a decent QB, but he's far from the goods. Other than his occasional scrambles, he ain't exactly doing the offense any favors either. His vertical throws are usually pretty terrible. And the times that we do have WR's open in the middle/intermediate part of the field, he doesn't see them. (starting to wonder if that's a height thing) One could argue that height attributed to his first interception. And his second INT was a phenomenal call by Pitt's DC. That actually is supposed to be the open throw versus press-quarters, but Pitt called a "trap" coverage on that play, figuring that we would throw a route to the sticks. If you watch the CB on that play, he shows man coverage for like the first 5-7 yards and then converts into a Cover-2 zone. He was right there for that route. Great call by their DC.

Pitt makes it tough on their opponents. Again, they basically play Cover-0 and their defenders are aggressive towards that box. The only way to loosen them up is to win at WR, and our guys can't do it. Until we get those young guys rollin, or recruit some better talent, Lashlee will have to keep being creative to scheme guys open.

DEFENSE

I've said my part over and over again. Nothing has changed. Same ****, different Saturday.

SIDENOTE: I bought a throwback UM Starter jacket today. 2 Live Crew style baby! Now I just need a gold rope chain if anybody's got one for sale.
I get what you are saying but as you said the WRs are ***!! But it’s on the coaches to bench the ones that are not up to par!! Stop trotting them out there!! There’s no accountability on this team!! If you cannot play the position you should not be playing!! This ain’t little league where everyone gets PT! Get the young guys like smith, Redding, and X in the game because the starters are not good at all!!
The coaches can’t just be like oh well the starters suck and that’s it! We got other scholarship players! Shoot Marcus Clarke would be better than our starters

Advertisement
I get what you are saying but as you said the WRs are ***!! But it’s on the coaches to bench the ones that are not up to par!! Stop trotting them out there!! There’s no accountability on this team!! If you cannot play the position you should not be playing!! This ain’t little league where everyone gets PT! Get the young guys like smith, Redding, and X in the game because the starters are not good at all!!
The coaches can’t just be like oh well the starters suck and that’s it! We got other scholarship players! Shoot Marcus Clarke would be better than our starters
I don't disagree.
The young guys got a lot of burn today actually. More than any other game this season.
Unfortunately they didn't get a lot of targets though.

Advertisement
Watched uga vs bama, clemson vs gt, fsu vs nc and highlights from all the other games. I didn't see 1.... NOT ONE wr that was built like Pope and Harley. Even everyone's "small" wrs are built better than ours. Oh and btw, literally every game had a wr that jumped for a ball and fought for it. Wiggins has yet to use his size to his advantage. We need an overhaul ASAP.

mcdonalds smile GIF

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

Good stuff. I'll just say this. King has limitations, but we just need him to get us to 31 points. Do that and we will win the rest of our games. Between Lashlees play calling and Kings athleticism, King is more than capable enough to pull that off. We don't need him to be Vince Young. Just get us to 31 points and a 10 win season. If King comes back next year, same thing. He can get us to 11 wins. We will have 5 star recruits and elite transfers lining up if we have back to back 10 win seasons.

3Gz3vy81HkDa8.gif

mcdonalds smile GIF

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

Streets flooded with money right now.. shouldnt be any gold ropes for sale for awhile..

Actually there is always haves and have nots and with people living off that stimulus that dried up, and christmas coming up, your best bet gonna be between PS5 dropping (whenever that is or thanksgiving) and christmas..

Advertisement
Good stuff. I'll just say this. King has limitations, but we just need him to get us to 31 points. Do that and we will win the rest of our games. Between Lashlees play calling and Kings athleticism, King is more than capable enough to pull that off. We don't need him to be Vince Young. Just get us to 31 points and a 10 win season. If King comes back next year, same thing. He can get us to 11 wins. We will have 5 star recruits and elite transfers lining up if we have back to back 10 win seasons.

3Gz3vy81HkDa8.gif
King's limitations at this level are becoming more and more apparent.

If TVD is as good as advertised (and as the Greentree whispers suggest) he'll run King off.

If that makes you sick then watch what Zay Flowers, a local 3-star Fort Lauderdale kid, did to this same Pitt secondary.

I’m aware. It seems that we always get the wrong recruits and every local kid we don’t get / pass up on ends up balling. It’s always coaching and I believe it’s too late for the upperclassmen. If Likens who coached up two first round receivers can’t help them, no one can. Dugans and Stubble ruined them.

Advertisement
My grandma would get more separation off the line than our starting WR's do. (and she's dead)

We might have one of the worst starting WR units in the ACC.
Oh not a question.

Smith is a speedster and Redding just knows how to get open. Idc if they’re freshmen, they’re the 2 best WRs. Move Pope to slot and let him work in the open field with his speed.

King's limitations at this level are becoming more and more apparent.

If TVD is as good as advertised (and as the Greentree whispers suggest) he'll run King off.

Justice will get the OL fixed and the Searles /Barry stink off. Once that is done, TVD can get his shot. Until then, we need King making plays with his legs. I also think once the WR rotation gets sorted (Smith, Redding, Pope in the slot) Kings going to look better. The other thing that will make him look better is not playing the two best defenses in the acc. He's going to have a good game against UVA.

Advertisement
Back