When will be the earliest Richt can win an NC?

Advertisement
if he can somehow get kaaya to come back for his senior year then you have to imagine us atleast being in the conversation for a title .

if he can somehow get kaaya to come back for his senior year then you have to imagine us atleast being in the conversation for a title .

If Kaaya comes back next year then I would have to agree with you. We will still have questionable depth at OL but by that time we will have plenty of experience. The one spot that really bothers me looking ahead to 2017 is CB. If we do make a title run in 2017, it will most likely have to be with 2-3 true freshman CB"s playing major roles. That position is so terribly thin that we could conceivably start 2 true freshmen there. We desperately need to No1 recruit not one or two but several elite CB's then No2, do everything in our power to get at least 2 of those stud corners in as EE so they can at least have a Spring under their belts.

Team needs speed, depth, and a lot more desire. If all goes right 3 or 4 years minimum. Getting through the ACC is one thing, but it's going to take some hellacious recruiting to compete with the teams who have been dominating lately.

If Kaaya comes back next year then I would have to agree with you. We will still have questionable depth at OL but by that time we will have plenty of experience. The one spot that really bothers me looking ahead to 2017 is CB. If we do make a title run in 2017, it will most likely have to be with 2-3 true freshman CB"s playing major roles. That position is so terribly thin that we could conceivably start 2 true freshmen there. We desperately need to No1 recruit not one or two but several elite CB's then No2, do everything in our power to get at least 2 of those stud corners in as EE so they can at least have a Spring under their belts.

Brad coming back puts us in the discussion, especially if Mark can get FSU this year. The NC will also required that Diaz be a heck of a lot better coach than he showed at UT. If we see some sustained flashes of old Cane defense this year and Brad comes back next year, then I will be looking at the odds for a potential payday on yet another NC. Golden leave Mark one gift besides Brad -- three fine freshmen LBs with one monster in the middle who have not been ruined by him and Mark. Everyone else needs to be exorcised of Golden demons. Where is Father Leo when we need him?

Advertisement

There's still too much work to do for Brad to come back. Like you said, the OL will still be thin as will the CB's. He's already projected as a top 5 pick, there's no reason for him to stay and take a beating. That will give Allison some time to get experience, and hopefully get us on track to be back in the national picture in 2018. I think we are a darkhorse this year as well, and can sneak up on some people like Michigan did last year under Harbaugh, but probably don't have the depth needed to make it through that stretch in October.

However long it takes to get the combination of quality depth on the Defensive side of the ball and a good QB under center.

The NC is in focus two years after Richt and staff have better recruiting than FSU, Clemson and UNC..

Advertisement
I challenge the OP's premise. This is hardly a ****ty situation, my friend. That's exactly why Richt chose to be unemployed for about 6 seconds. If Kaaya stays and Diaz proves to be competent then people will be talking Playoff spot next year. The Kuligowski Effect alone should give Diaz a MAJOR advantage schematically.

I challenge the OP's premise. This is hardly a ****ty situation, my friend. That's exactly why Richt chose to be unemployed for about 6 seconds. If Kaaya stays and Diaz proves to be competent then people will be talking Playoff spot next year. The Kuligowski Effect alone should give Diaz a MAJOR advantage schematically.

Idk [MENTION=9712]Tad Footeball[/MENTION]...I agree with he didn't walk into a s****y but even next year we'll be incredibly young in the secondary and that's a position where you want at least a veteran S and CB, which we would be fine at if I believed Redwine could be a #1 CB after this year but Kool's D-line should give us an advantage. 2018 is a statement year to let everyone know we're back and we need to be taken seriously and 2019 says not only are we back but we're here to stay

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
3-5 years, depending on how he can recruit. It's going to be hard for him to win much with the team he has now. Just paper thin at a lot of positions. A few injuries and this team will be in big trouble.

If Kaaya comes back his senior season, then I think we'd have a shot in 2017. Also, contingent on recruiting some studs at corner.

Idk [MENTION=9712]Tad Footeball[/MENTION]...I agree with he didn't walk into a s****y but even next year we'll be incredibly young in the secondary and that's a position where you want at least a veteran S and CB, which we would be fine at if I believed Redwine could be a #1 CB after this year but Kool's D-line should give us an advantage. 2018 is a statement year to let everyone know we're back and we need to be taken seriously and 2019 says not only are we back but we're here to stay

The secondary is obviously a fair concern. That's why I was talking just making the Playoff and not a title. My optimism was all contingent on have a Sr. Brad Kaaya that'll be a projected top 10 pick leading the team and a dynamic offense by then too. Pie in the sky? Maybe. But I also don't think we can overstate the effect of having an actual pass rush will be in helping mask whatever deficiencies still remain in the secondary. That's why the Kuligowski hire was almost as important as the Richt one in terms of immediate effect. Almost.

Advertisement
Back