When Miami ruled the CFB world.

Advertisement
All the attention paid to Deion and Colorado shows how CFB desperately needing personalities. The media wants Miami ‘back’ because those 80s-90s teams were loved or hated. More than a few of the highest rated TV games of the era were Miami games.

Many older fans still hate Miami because of that past image.

I don’t know if you can recreate those times, though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The media hype machine about to return. Just keep winning. Can’t escape it. Kick Temple’s ***

All the attention paid to Deion and Colorado shows how CFB desperately needing personalities. The media wants Miami ‘back’ because those 80s-90s teams were loved or hated. More than a few of the highest rated TV games of the era were Miami games.

As an official "older fan", I experienced the Musburger "**** you Brent" game. My seats were on the south-side, so I can tell you it wasn't just the student-body shooting him a bird. The swag and the massive Irish nation helped to foment the hatred for the U... however, we attained had a sizable following too.

I believe that JJ had a lot to do with the dawn of UM swag and the resulting hatred.

I don't think we can recreate those swag years again, but if we start dominating CFB again I'm in.

Taunting is a penalty because the rest of college football couldn't stand Miami players rubbing their noses at how good those teams were.

Taunting is a penalty because the rest of the college football ELITE AND BLUE BLOODS couldn't stand BLACK, BRASH, INNER CITY Miami players rubbing their noses at how good those teams were.

The college football establishment and their old school, slow-****, option-happy and wishbone-friendly brand of football absolutely couldn't stand the fact that Miami kids absolutely changed the sport and turned on its ear as it took the sport a decade to catch up with the Canes' brand of speed and athleticism.

Advertisement
As an official "older fan", I experienced the Musburger "**** you Brent" game. My seats were on the south-side, so I can tell you it wasn't just the student-body shooting him a bird. The swag and the massive Irish nation helped to foment the hatred for the U... however, we attained had a sizable following too.

I believe that JJ had a lot to do with the dawn of UM swag and the resulting hatred.

I don't think we can recreate those swag years again, but if we start dominating CFB again I'm in.
JJ’s personality helped define ‘swagger’, no doubt.

And also no doubt the Canes attracted a lot of fans nationwide. The cultural seeds were indigenous to South Florida and Miami but not limited to the region. A lot of people across the country resonated with the attitude those Miami teams possessed. I don’t know if the same conditions exist today, probably not.

I believe Mario will return the Canes to a prominent position in CFB. What that means in this Realignment-Transfer Portal-NIL-Expanded CFP era remains to be seen.

JJ’s personality helped define ‘swagger’, no doubt.

And also no doubt the Canes attracted a lot of fans nationwide. The cultural seeds were indigenous to South Florida and Miami but not limited to the region. A lot of people across the country resonated with the attitude those Miami teams possessed. I don’t know if the same conditions exist today, probably not.

I believe Mario will return the Canes to a prominent position in CFB. What that means in this Realignment-Transfer Portal-NIL-Expanded CFP era remains to be seen.
Josh Pate agrees with your last point.

Advertisement
Miami dominate'n college football moves the meter ... half the country will tune in to root for us and the other half to root against us.
Just imagining what you could do to really trigger the ones who would root against us. Not just the winning, but something audacious.

Obviously not practical and not something Mario would go for, but could you imagine instead of a Turnover Chain, some sort of elaborate U shaped turnover hot tub that a player gets to jump into after an interception or fumble.

Good stuff. But we all know why the rest of the country didn't like Miami - let's not be naive. Not having "the right decorum" is pretext for something else.
Sport Fuck Them GIF by UFC

Taunting is a penalty because the rest of the college football ELITE AND BLUE BLOODS couldn't stand BLACK, BRASH, INNER CITY Miami players rubbing their noses at how good those teams were.

The college football establishment and their old school, slow-****, option-happy and wishbone-friendly brand of football absolutely couldn't stand the fact that Miami kids absolutely changed the sport and turned on its ear as it took the sport a decade to catch up with the Canes' brand of speed and athleticism.
I couldn't have articulated that any better myself and I used to write posts about this on the old grassy board. For this reason there will never be another Jerome Brown. Brown was the personification of those dominant Miami teams.

I also have to say how rare Josh Pate is as a modern sports journalist. He is objective and intellectually honest and that is so refreshing.

I love the CU stuff, honestly. We all know the emperor has no clothes up there. So, give me more of it.

Any lack of attention while Cristobal is rebuilding this thing is positive. 'Where's dad?' 'In the garage, working on something...'

Advertisement
Back