When is the last time Miami had a Good DT?

Still blaming players for underperforming in this **** bag defense of Foldenofrio. Pfft.

The defense and coaching has been terrible no doubt, but you can't deny the DT recruiting til the last two years had been abysmal, which in turn is the staff's fault.

Advertisement
Great thread..good job by you.

Biggest single issue with this team over the past 5-6 years. It all starts up front. We have had zero pass rush and penetration. Our LBs get smothered and caught in the wash. our secondary gets burned trying to cover guys for 6 seconds and we never get of the field on 3rd down.

Butch better go out and find 3-4 killer DTs as his first order of business.

This is why i want butxh he knows what wins titles the fronts, and he will get the skill players. Butch will have us like fsu now times ten

Still blaming players for underperforming in this **** bag defense of Foldenofrio. Pfft.

The defense and coaching has been terrible no doubt, but you can't deny the DT recruiting til the last two years had been abysmal, which in turn is the staff's fault.

There are some very good DTs on the roster right now. They're dying in a **** defense just like every other position. Our whole defense looks like ****, yet we have some excellent individual talent.

Seems like Coach Melvin has the resume for developing Dline, and they do seem to be shedding blocks and getting more pressure this year.

I'll be interested to see how much the DL improves with a "cut it loose" mindset.

Advertisement

There are some very good DTs on the roster right now. They're dying in a **** defense just like every other position. Our whole defense looks like ****, yet we have some excellent individual talent.

This woukd make a good thread foreal, i think its coaching and recruiting. We got jags on both fronts and i woukd like to see what butch thinks bwcause i know the dudes he will bring in woukd be monsters that look like monsters. Time will tell though bwcause you get a guy like josh sweat and its hard to make him a bust. Either which way the staff rwcruited them so its there fault, with a scheme change i woukd like to see what happens but our linebackers besides grace are not miami caliber

WTF are you talking about OP?

Norton is a first round NFL talent!

What games are you watching? We are talking about actual game production and not Spring Camp wonders and U Tough All Stars. If a player can't produce on Saturdays it doesn't matter how good he practices.

Do you even watch the ******* game?

FFS kids these days. Every time they go single gap and he's on the field he ends up in the backfield. Toot sweet. Pronto. Riki Tik.

You aren't a long time football watcher. Prob a chalkboard warrior.

We currently have a great lineup of young DL. Some real nice DTs, too, which we've been historically bad at fielding the past 5 years

Advertisement
We have good DTs on this team now, they're being wasted away in this program.
Calvin Hertolou
Courtel Jenkins
Anthony Moten
Kendrick Norton

you've just given me a list of names but they have accomplished nothing.

remember: "potential" is a 9 letter word for "bad"

Theyre still a very talented group of DTs. I've seen all 4 at times look impressive throughout the season.

until we start stacking blue chip talent across that defensive line we wont be back, the next coach has to get a foothold in sec country i.e. north florida, georgia, louisiana etc or if we cant get the blue chip prospects a coach that can identify high school players that could become impact DT's. folden **** the bed with guys like ivery, briscoe and wyche

Seems like Coach Melvin has the resume for developing Dline, and they do seem to be shedding blocks and getting more pressure this year.

I'll be interested to see how much the DL improves with a "cut it loose" mindset.
Well it got us zero sacks against Virginia who dropped back to pass about 50 times.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's the thing, tho... we need coaches who can 1) find the talent and 2) develop it. We haven't had both in probably 10 or 12 years.

You get guys in here like Forston and Regis and Luther Robinson and to a lesser extent Orien Harris or Kareem Brown or Bailey like I mentioned before, and they are good enough to be on NFL rosters, but not good enough to make a solid impact here?

That tells me that we've had coaches who are at least decent at finding talent, but the talent they found was never able to take that next step b/c of technique or scheme or attitude or conditioning or whatever else. That's a development issue.

When we have a quality staff in place from top to bottom, we'll start seeing those monster Dlines again, imo.

Well it got us zero sacks against Virginia who dropped back to pass about 50 times.

True. Coach Melvin & Scott are not the answer to all things, but at least there's a reason to hope for improvement.

What u mean a quick first step fast physical first round type of dt hmmmm? Oh yea butch recruited those i still dont see those on the rostef

Butch's best DTs that he recruited as a HC were all 5-stars: William Joseph, Damione Lewis, Vince Wilfork. Even at UNC it was another 5-star in Marvin Austin.

We did get some steals like Maryland and Kennedy in the 80's, but it's unlikely that those guys go unnoticed in 2015.

He has a great eye for talent, but a big reason why we were able to land those names is because the brand of the program wasn't really far removed from being looked at as dominant. Butch's first year, despite sanctions, was 1 year removed from an appearance in the national championship. In 1995, an offer from Miami, even with sanctions, meant a lot. In-fact, Butch pulled in plenty of 5-star type prospects. It wasn't all SFL. We got plenty of big name players from OOS. Big name programs in top recruiting areas ALWAYS recruit well, unless they're mediocre for an extended period of time. UF pulled in a top-10 class after going 4-8. Auburn did too after winning 3 games , but they recently played in a national championship. USC still pulled in 5-stars under sanctions. We've stunk and still pull in top-10 classes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was at the UVA game this weekend and was talking with a friend and some other fans, we really couldn't pinpoint when the last time Miami had a Good or even average DT. Watching them play Saturday was painful, we got absolutely zero push from the middle.

There are very few in Florida... Got any recommendations?

Advertisement
Back