When does NIL change?

Not true. It’s understood that big markets offer more opportunity for sponsorship deals than smaller ones. It’s one reason why free agents choose NY or LA.

The difference here is they college players are not salaried, so all they have is sponsorship deals.
NY and LA income taxes are unbearable.

W goes to Miami

Advertisement
I could envision a scenario where in order to provide NIL deals a company may have to register to do so and then show no inherent bias from one school to the other. Basically, ensuring players get paid for production vs affiliation. Kids can receive deals but not from businesses with a direct link to a single school. To me that's an ideal scenario to create some parity but I don't know if it is legal fundamentally.
This is a great question and I would certainly prefer a system similar to what you have proposed. I used the Pandora's Box reference on purpose as that was a terrible thing for humanity. I think the current open-season NIL, with state legislators falling all over themselves to make it easier for their schools to direct NIL money to potential recruits, is very dangerous and will end very poorly. It's like unfettered capitalism. Sounds like a great idea but invariably results in a crash because humans are inherently selfish.
I am worried about the legality of your idea as well because the Supreme Court opinion was so strong and the court rarely allows a limitation of rights that the court provides. As an example, when the Supreme Court desegregated schools in 1954, it shut down every effort by local jurisdictions to limit desegregation. States could make desegregation easier, but not harder. Rights can be expanded beyond what the Supreme Court grants, but not reduced

NY and LA income taxes are unbearable.

W goes to Miami

They will put in a loophole without anyone realizing it.... not to worry.
Similar to what the guild and the entertainment industry has in CA that allows rich movie folk to skate while squeezing out the middle class sheep...

This is a great question and I would certainly prefer a system similar to what you have proposed. I used the Pandora's Box reference on purpose as that was a terrible thing for humanity. I think the current open-season NIL, with state legislators falling all over themselves to make it easier for their schools to direct NIL money to potential recruits, is very dangerous and will end very poorly. It's like unfettered capitalism. Sounds like a great idea but invariably results in a crash because humans are inherently selfish.
I am worried about the legality of your idea as well because the Supreme Court opinion was so strong and the court rarely allows a limitation of rights that the court provides. As an example, when the Supreme Court desegregated schools in 1954, it shut down every effort by local jurisdictions to limit desegregation. States could make desegregation easier, but not harder. Rights can be expanded beyond what the Supreme Court grants, but not reduced

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back