When does NIL change?

Bags paid before hand, no refund. NIL is offered a lot of time and kids may not get paid. See what Lane said about it.
“At least in the NFL there’s free agent contracts so they know what it is and they have to sign it, versus places saying, ‘Hey, when you come here you’re going to get this much money,’ and then when they get there, do they really get it?” Kiffin said. “It’s a new world.”

Advertisement
Two things: This is nothing new. Boosters paying for players, mostly guys who haven’t even played a down yet in college has been going on for decades. Secondly, putting a cap or limit is just going to push those payments back under the table. Does anyone believe that schools that have been bagging up players illegally for decades are going to just start following some arbitrary salary cap?

I think it will be regulated before it comes to that. It cannot sustain itself as a product otherwise.

The conferences need to come together and establish rules and set limits. The NFL has rules and limits. The NBA has rules and limits. And it's to product the product.
Yes but NIL is a US Supreme Court decision and is based on the inherent power every person has to make money off his/her NIL. So any effort to limit NIL by school, conference or NCAA can be taken into court by the player(s). Generally speaking, laws can increase rights but not decrease rights. I am afraid that NIl is the proverbial Pandora’s Box.

Advertisement
It wont change. The NCAA cannot put a cap on it.

NIL deals bring secret bags into the public. And secret bags are still being handed out so

They are paying lots of kids in high school. My guess is lots of them will be busts...

When does it go from pay you now, to we will pay you after we see you perform for a year?
That's not what NIL is. It's called Name Image and Likeness. It's supposed to be college athletes earning money based on the social value they've created for themselves.

What it has turned into is a free agency stipend to lure players to schools. This is basically "pay to perform." However, it isn't and will never be "pay for performce" which is quite different and illegal. An athlete could simply be rewarded for their outstanding performance, but you could not have a performance based contactual agreement. That would go against the NCAA's one basic rule of NO pay for play.

Last edited:
I think it will be regulated before it comes to that. It cannot sustain itself as a product otherwise.

The conferences need to come together and establish rules and set limits. The NFL has rules and limits. The NBA has rules and limits. And it's to product the product.
Unfortunately the bag game shows that won’t work. It isn’t enough to offer a kid an education, amazing facilities, a network of people to help them get through school, a network of people to help them after school and a chance at NFL glory, you still end up paying them to sign. So I fail to see why NIL would be a check against the unbridled inflation that’s been going on in recruiting. Somebody will always be use they have a little more money to give.

The only way it’s possible is if every team decided it willfully but there will always be a team that will offer up front to gain an advantage
Yeah, they would all have to get together and decide to pick players I some kind of order instead of letting the players choose, which would cause other problems. And the biggest issue with that is the “haves” will never willingly give up the advantage they have now in the name of fairness. Also, all that extra money would just go to coaches or facilities. Every time you push down an area of spending it will just pop up somewhere else.

If we were on top, we’d hate this idea.

Advertisement
It'll be interesting to see how ROI plays a part

Completely agree. One day some of these big money guys are going to wake up and wonder what the eff they just spent $100 million on. This is the thing I've never understood about the whole NIL thing.

The smaller schools will go to Congress and ***** because their bag game is weak sauce. That’s when things will change.

As I understand it, the SCOTUS decision in NCAA v Alston was primarily focused on the antitrust constraints regarding educational benefit that schools can provide, not NIL specifically bc those are benefits students get from outside their institutions. They are related in regards to restraint of trade - antitrust. NIL rules were passed by the individual states and the NCAA asked Congress to intervene to pass federal NIL legislation and during the Alston decision several SCOTUS members basically said the NCAA gig is up and that free markets were coming so the NCAA immediately came out with their NiL guidance In "support". Interestingly the state of Alabama is currently pushing to repeal their NIL law bc it is more restrictive than other states.

NCAA member schools can now offer benefits to student athletes in 3 distinct categories:
1. Educational benefits - scholarships incl. tuition, room, board, books
2. Cost of attendance stipends
(2016 Stipend by school)
3. Additional incentives for education/academic achievement up to $6k/yr
(Ole Miss announces $3k incentive)

Additionally students can earn NIL $$ externally as well as unreported "bags".

#2 and #3 it's unknown publicly what UM provides but this is an area that the SEC schools have long outpaced other schools and conferences so reason to believe this is an area UM is lagging and could significantly increase their budget in these areas.

Advertisement
As I understand it, the SCOTUS decision in NCAA v Alston was primarily focused on the antitrust constraints regarding educational benefit that schools can provide, not NIL specifically bc those are benefits students get from outside their institutions. They are related in regards to restraint of trade - antitrust. NIL rules were passed by the individual states and the NCAA asked Congress to intervene to pass federal NIL legislation and during the Alston decision several SCOTUS members basically said the NCAA gig is up and that free markets were coming so the NCAA immediately came out with their NiL guidance In "support". Interestingly the state of Alabama is currently pushing to repeal their NIL law bc it is more restrictive than other states.

NCAA member schools can now offer benefits to student athletes in 3 distinct categories:
1. Educational benefits - scholarships incl. tuition, room, board, books
2. Cost of attendance stipends
(2016 Stipend by school)
3. Additional incentives for education/academic achievement up to $6k/yr
(Ole Miss announces $3k incentive)

Additionally students can earn NIL $$ externally as well as unreported "bags".

#2 and #3 it's unknown publicly what UM provides but this is an area that the SEC schools have long outpaced other schools and conferences so reason to believe this is an area UM is lagging and could significantly increase their budget in these areas.
This doesn’t take into account state laws. In Fl it’s illegal to use a NIL deal as an inducement to sign with a school, this isn’t the case in other places. Increasing a budget won’t really matter when aTm can spend $25m inducing HS kids to sign.

Advertisement
That's not what's going on at all though.

In this system it's like if the Miami Dolphin fans decided to pay a player an additional $10M so they could acquire him under the cap. I'm pretty sure the NFL would shut that s*** down real fast. It's basically money laundering to get a team under the cap.
Not true. It’s understood that big markets offer more opportunity for sponsorship deals than smaller ones. It’s one reason why free agents choose NY or LA.

The difference here is they college players are not salaried, so all they have is sponsorship deals.

Yes but NIL is a US Supreme Court decision and is based on the inherent power every person has to make money off his/her NIL. So any effort to limit NIL by school, conference or NCAA can be taken into court by the player(s). Generally speaking, laws can increase rights but not decrease rights. I am afraid that NIl is the proverbial Pandora’s Box.
I could envision a scenario where in order to provide NIL deals a company may have to register to do so and then show no inherent bias from one school to the other. Basically, ensuring players get paid for production vs affiliation. Kids can receive deals but not from businesses with a direct link to a single school. To me that's an ideal scenario to create some parity but I don't know if it is legal fundamentally.

Advertisement
Back