What's your grade on Redwine fellas?

Nobody was complaining about Redwine after he made several nice open field tackles against Duke.

yeah, give him props vs duke , he was solid that game ... then fsu he was awful and soft and got embarrassed. Knowels doesn't have the experience yet. Id take Robert over redwine though
They both came in at the same time, Knowels doesn't belong is the difference.

Advertisement
I guess the difference is Redwine at least makes plays once in a while.

Knowles runs around aimlessly like a pinball hoping somebody runs into him.

He's a backup on a Miami team that has recruited correctly. Until Carter and Smith step up and next year's reinforcements get here, he's the best we got. Speaks to the recruiting **** ups we have been dealing with for years.

Advertisement
Always liked him. Very serviceable player. Gets bad wrap around here because he isn't Ed Reed or Sean Taylor.

Redwine is getting better with age.

415.png

Advertisement
Think he is solid he small to be a Safety though. Hopefully he continues to add weight to play the position.

Very good tackler in the open field, solid in coverage when he has to cover the slot, hasn't really been challenged on too many Deep balls & early on had some blown assignments against Toledo.

Tends to get swallowed up in run support at the LOS, but is head & shoulders better than Knowles, but not better than Rayshawn Jenkins or even Jamal Carter.

His best game was Duke, made a lot of plays, Tackles & was very good in coverage.

That play against FSU was a bit reckless on his part, he kinda just threw himself at Akers & left himself vulnerable.

Quan has been our best Safety all year, he takes bad angles a lot & misses tackles, but he's also solid & can make plays when we need him.

He has very good instincts, but lacks speed & surprisingly his Ball skills from Killian haven't shown up in Miami yet.
There's several plays going back to last year, where he dropped gimme INT's that hit him in the hands.

I give Red a C+ & Quan a B. Mike Jack needs to play more Safety, that's his money position, but he's versatile enough to play CB for us while Delaney is injured.

Also, we need to give credit to BKDee, he was the first one to tell us way back in the Spring about the staff wanting MJack at FS all along.

I am not going to trash either one of these guys, but it's pretty clear we are better off when Redwine is in the game, by a wide margin.

That said, either through player improvement or recruiting, we need a major upgrade at safety.

If you rewatch the FSU games year/year, neither of us did a lot that was tremendously different with the back 7. The degree to which Jenkins and Carter benefited the defense cannot be stressed enough. We miss them.

Advertisement
Jamal Carter was a pretty good Rover for us last year, he fit perfectly with this Defense.

He was lost a lot in Coverage, didn't really have great Ball skills, but was excellent in run support.

A lot of those huge run plays we've seen all season, in the Toledo, Duke (early on), FSU & GTech games would've been cut short by Jamal.

He was our leading Tackler last year & played a big part in our Run Defense. He cleaned a lot of plays up on the back end.

He’s ALOT better than knowles.....

True....I would put Sheldrick Redwine around a C+ to B-. I don't know why he even tried to go up against Cam Akers like that, getting ran over like that is a bad look. But i still expect him to be even better next season..

Jaquan Johnson has stepped up the last couple games. I got him at around a B- as well.

Robert Knowles is a solid F

Jamal Carter was a pretty good Rover for us last year, he fit perfectly with this Defense.

He was lost a lot in Coverage, didn't really have great Ball skills, but was excellent in run support.

A lot of those huge run plays we've seen all season, in the Toledo, Duke (early on), FSU & GTech games would've been cut short by Jamal.

He was our leading Tackler last year & played a big part in our Run Defense. He cleaned a lot of plays up on the back end.

Coverage was Jamal Carter's only weak spot but I still think he was better in coverage than Redwine and JJ.
Compared to what we see this year from the safety position, Jamal Carter balled out. He didn't get INTs but he still forced incompletions and got his hands on the ball more than I'm seeing from both our starters this season.

Advertisement

Coverage was Jamal Carter's only weak spot but I still think he was better in coverage than Redwine and JJ.
Compared to what we see this year from the safety position, Jamal Carter balled out. He didn't get INTs but he still forced incompletions and got his hands on the ball more than I'm seeing from both our starters this season.
Quan is much better in Coverage than Jamal imo, Jamal is unquestionably a better Tackler than all of'em.

Jamal was completely lost against West Va on those Deep balls they threw in the 1st half, he literally had no idea where the ball was. He also cost us a TD vs Pitt last year, complete blown coverage missed assignment.

If Quan could catch like he did at Killian, he would have somewhere between 5 to 7 INT's going back to last year & this season.

Red has 2PD's & got the turnover chain this year, he gets around the ball, but he's not a Hawk by any means.

jamal carter was not good..... i take back what i said earlier about knowels because he has been awful.. but please give Derrick Smith a chance !!! please .. this man is good and its not fair coaches do not give him a chance #politics

Advertisement
Back