What's up with Zion?

Here’s the skinny on Zion; here’s a 2 star kid that worked his way to becoming a low 3 star. We were the first P5 to show him love, & that’s b/c our OL recruiting that yr was really trashed.

Zion was thrown to the wolves his first yr, & he quite frankly wasn’t physically able to handle the collegiate level of football. He struggled mightily.

Credit to him to put in the work, & had a 180 Sophomore yr. It was his sophomore yr that he started to get 1st round buzz.

Unfortunately, his Jr yr, while still light yrs better than his Freshman yr, took a step back. He gave up one fewer sack than his sophomore more yr, while playing in more games (Sophomore yr was the Covid season), but he gave up a slew of QB hurries & graded poorly as a run blocking tackle.

That led to most draft reports, pre season, lending him to a 3rd - to early 4th round pick. Now, w/ very limited film this season, I’m wondering where he falls in line, now. His measurable are good, but they r not eye popping like Greg was. Greg had three things working for him that Zion doesn’t have if lending a lasting memory:

1. Age: GR15 was an incredibly young draft prospect, & age plays a role w/ GMs

2. GR15 had an absolutely freakish measurable. U won’t find too many DEs w/ his length & size that could bend, bull rush, & play all along the DL (pause)

3. He had an outstanding one & done yr. Crazy stats that rivaled Chase Young from OSU, the consensus top DE in the nation.

Even w that being said, GR15 was out of sight out of mind, w/ JP15 going above him, b/c it was a what gave you done for me lately. GR15 almost didn’t make the 1st round, regardless he was looked at as a sure fire 1st rounder in 2019.

With Zion, not only did his draft grade dip from 2020 to 2021, now it’s out of sight, out of mind, too. Imo, this doesn’t bode well for him in the upcoming draft. I think he’ll go maybe the 5th at this point, if he doesn’t come back.
Stop making sense, you are going to hurt porsters' brains.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Zion is an above avg pass protector in a passing leaugue. His film will show him going up against a slew of guys already in the league.

I would love for him to come back next year honestly..allowing Cristobal/mirabal to build him up n create hype for him...but looks like the agent got the hook in.

Hes going to fall as a mid rounder with clean bill of health anywhere from 4-6. Had he come back an played well top 2 rounds were his spots

Zion is from Sumter, SC, not Sumter County, FL. Shout out to Bushnell!

Advertisement
I've been around since Grassy days and have never had a proprietary insight about anything regarding the team.

Randomly I happen to know the father of one Zion's best friends on the team. We saw each other the Friday prior to the Duke game and I asked about about Zion's status.

-Zion is legitimately still unable to play. He's not sitting out while healthy and able to play, while simply waiting around for draft day.
-Circumstances permitting, Zion and his family would have preferred that he go in this year's draft, and this was the plan coming into the season.
-But circumstances have obviously changed.
-If Zion is able to come back this season, play a meaningful number of snaps, and play well then he will likely declare for the draft
-Whether he will be able to come back this year was still an open question as of a week ago from last Friday.
-If he cannot come back to play this season he will likely choose to return for another season.

I've been around since Grassy days and have never had a proprietary insight about anything regarding the team.

Randomly I happen to know the father of one Zion's best friends on the team. We saw each other the Friday prior to the Duke game and I asked about about Zion's status.

-Zion is legitimately still unable to play. He's not sitting out while healthy and able to play, while simply waiting around for draft day.
-Circumstances permitting, Zion and his family would have preferred that he go in this year's draft, and this was the plan coming into the season.
-If Zion is able to come back this season, play a meaningful number of snaps, and play well then he will likely declare for the draft
-Whether he will be able to come back this year was still an open question as of a week ago from last Friday.
-If he cannot come back to play this season he will likely choose to return for another season.
Al Pacino GIF

So glad I came into this thread at this point. It saved me all seven pages of absurd, clueless hot takes and inexplicable hating of a player who’s only sin is being injured.

I swear some of you guys are an embarrassment.

Advertisement

Still think he tapped out waiting for the draft, but if the scenario above is true it's best for us if he doesn't play at all this year and comes back next year. This season is already a bust

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back