What's up with John Campbell?

grover

Senior
Premium
Each of the past two Springs, John Campbell was identified by the coaches as a kid who was emerging as a projected solid starter. He leap-frogged Herbert and Hillery, ended up starting multiple games. And every time he crashed and burned.

Now, in his 4th year at a time when you'd expect he'd really step up his game, I've heard ZERO about him. Not even an injury report. So I'm guessing he's just been written off like the other two, along with Cleveland Reed?

Starters: Nelson, Clark/Rivers, Gaynor, Donaldson, Williams
First In: Clark/Rivers, Scaife, Traore
Developmental: Washington, Walker, True Freshmen

JAG Alert: Reed (what a waste), Herbert, Hillery, ElGammal (if he returns) ... and now J Campbell ?

Advertisement
Each of the past two Springs, John Campbell was identified by the coaches as a kid who was emerging as a projected solid starter. He leap-frogged Herbert and Hillery, ended up starting multiple games. And every time he crashed and burned.

Now, in his 4th year at a time when you'd expect he'd really step up his game, I've heard ZERO about him. Not even an injury report. So I'm guessing he's just been written off like the other two, along with Cleveland Reed?

JAG Alert: Reed (what a waste), Herbert, Hillery, ElGammal (if he returns) ... and now J Campbell ?
Apparently he looks good as a tackle in practice. But he was worse than true freshman Zion when they both started against Florida. Looks like a terrible pass blocker.

I thought he looked promising at OG 2 years ago when he came in due to injuries. They need Campbell competing at G, and Scaife back at tackle. Justise came in and moved them both out of position last year

Apparently he looks good as a tackle in practice. But he was worse than true freshman Zion when they both started against Florida. Looks like a terrible pass blocker.

I thought he looked promising at OG 2 years ago when he came in due to injuries. They need Campbell competing at G, and Scaife back at tackle. Justise came in and moved them both out of position last year
I’m guessing with Scaife playing tackle, they are looking at Campbell at guard. He’s probably running behind Donaldson at RG with Rivers and Clark at LG.

Advertisement
I liked what I saw from Campbell at OG more than what I’ve seen from Scaife, Clark, or traore. Seemed like an obvious move last year when those guys were struggling
I think after year 1, Justice has everybody in the right spot now.

LT - Nelson/Walker/McLaughlin
LG - Rivers/Clark/Traore
C - Gaynor/Reed/Rodriguez
RG - Donaldson/Campbell/Seymore
RT - Williams/Scaife/Washington

I have no clue where Herbert/Hillery fit in. Guessing scout team only.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Saw him on the 30s clip they let out being abused if he’s still #74.

John Campbell should be competing with Clark and Rivers at LG, Justice needs to figure this out. Campbell would be an athletic Guard that can move people.

He has a tackle body type, but is a guard, while Scaife has a guard body type, but is a T.

If I can figure this out from my couch, you would think Justice could from the practice field.

8579E114-2C9F-42FF-B8B1-66DD96C171C3.gif

Advertisement
He has a tackle body type, but is a guard, while Scaife has a guard body type, but is a T.

If I can figure this out from my couch, you would think Justice could from the practice field.
Many coaches just can not get over body types. They are blind to the production in front of them. Russell Wilson was forced to transfer from NC St because of body type.

Advertisement

LG - Rivers/Clark/Traore

I like that depth chart with one glaring exception. We need somebody to challenge Gaynor at C and I mean really challenge him. Gaynor was *** last year and everyone knows it. I love the Rivers/Donaldson combo at G. Zion is a budding star at LT and Williams at RT will be solid if unspectacular yet solid nonetheless. Still that leaves C as a question mark. Unless coach Feeley earned his entire salary with Gaynor this off-season, we need an upgrade at C. Gaynor just flat out doesn't have the functional strength to get the job done inside. Dude is constantly getting blown back into the backfield. Hopefully he manages to improve and can at least be serviceable.

LG - Rivers/Clark/Traore

Can someone please explain how Herbert was classified as 4 Stars?

Many coaches just can not get over body types. They are blind to the production in front of them. Russell Wilson was forced to transfer from NC St because of body type.
Is that why Carter is still getting PT at Safety? Assistant coaches on the sideline during a game...."Did you see that horrible angle? Man #5 couldn't cover my grandmother!" Manny..."Yeah I know.....but that body type!".

Advertisement
Back