What's the strategy here?

4th or 8th? How about landing the very best players or not? I'm talking about getting the guys that Richt has decided he'd most like to have on his team, and we're still losing those guys to bama and clemson and now georgia. Your post is terrible for ignoring that we're still competing with teams even if we don't play them THIS YEAR.

My god.

Advertisement

Attachments

• tenor (7).gif
    tenor (7).gif
    752.6 KB · Views: 0
Wouldn't bag game translate to recruiting? According to 24/7, Miami has had higher ranked recruiting classes than Clemson 4 out of the last 5 years. The teams that we know for sure are dropping bags- Bama, UGA, and LSU are almost always top 5 in recruiting. Clemson isn't. If Clemson is playing the bag game, they are doing it wrong. Remember when "Clemsoning" was a thing and everyone though Dabo would never win a chip? Sounds a lot like Richt (who, by the way used to beat out Dabo for recruits while at UGA all the **** time, so again, not an impressive bag game). Every program has dirty hands, I think some are way worse than others- mostly all the SEC schools. I attribute Clemson's success to a ballsy head coach who is a great recruiter and having the best D coordinator in college football.

Suppose Venables is Miami's D coordinator and Manny Diaz is Clemson's D coordinator last year. Rosier is still QB, but Miami is 100% healthy (AR82 and Walton) and goes head to head with a 100% healthy Clemson team. You think Clemson still blows out Miami in the ACC championship game?

Anyways, if you all want to convince yourselves that we can never be elite because we can't compete with the bag dropping programs, then go ahead and admit defeat.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let's be real

1. College football is beyond corrupt, it's literally absolutely sickening what has been allowed to happen to our sport. The yankees have come to college football in the worst way. Who has the most money is going to win, no ifs ands or buts about it. They will eventually have all the resources whether it's players, coaches, facilties and ofc bags

2. Miami as much as I live for this program, can't keep up with it. We have to rely on one thing and one thing only in this game imo and that is heart. Kids that WANNA BE hurricanes. Coaching helps but it's only gonna get us so far when we have second tier players

3. fbi needs to get involved
The problem you have yes money,cars,women its all there but funded by private foundations and groups.What
laws have been broken if its interested third parties have an interest in Alabama or Georgia?You have no complaints
when one of these groups offer to put up a new building on campus but when the word football is mentioned its
a NO NO!

How does the NCAA explain that in an "amateur" sport Alabama and others are allowed to go on a massive spending spree so that parity doesn't exit anymore?

The only way to level the landscape now is put in place spending caps.
I for one would be in favor of paying every scholarship football player the same amount of money regardless of the school they went to.
This would end the "bags" situation
and the myth that these are amateur athletes when their coaches make multimillion dollar salaries and video game companies profit of their game.
Do you really think that the schools everyone thinks are "dropping bags" will suddenly stop dropping them? Those "extra" financial inducements aren't going away no matter how you tweak the rules.

Should the players get some money from the schools? Yes, I think so.

Will that fix things? No, I don't think so.

Wouldn't bag game translate to recruiting? According to 24/7, Miami has had higher ranked recruiting classes than Clemson 4 out of the last 5 years. The teams that we know for sure are dropping bags- Bama, UGA, and LSU are almost always top 5 in recruiting. Clemson isn't. If Clemson is playing the bag game, they are doing it wrong. Remember when "Clemsoning" was a thing and everyone though Dabo would never win a chip? Sounds a lot like Richt (who, by the way used to beat out Dabo for recruits while at UGA all the **** time, so again, not an impressive bag game). Every program has dirty hands, I think some are way worse than others- mostly all the SEC schools. I attribute Clemson's success to a ballsy head coach who is a great recruiter and having the best D coordinator in college football.

Suppose Venables is Miami's D coordinator and Manny Diaz is Clemson's D coordinator last year. Rosier is still QB, but Miami is 100% healthy (AR82 and Walton) and goes head to head with a 100% healthy Clemson team. You think Clemson still blows out Miami in the ACC championship game?

Anyways, if you all want to convince yourselves that we can never be elite because we can't compete with the bag dropping programs, then go ahead and admit defeat.

Ummmm no....We only had a better recruiting class 2 out of those years! I'm looking at the composite team rankings!

Advertisement
Were all entitled to opinions. So long as you realize MAYBE your opinion is just wrong. Its not a fact.

Are you referring Clemson isn't dropping bags? If so, my mistake. Could have sworn you mentioned to me in the past Clemson isn't clean either.

Are you referring Clemson isn't dropping bags? If so, my mistake. Could have sworn you mentioned to me in the past Clemson isn't clean either.

wasn't there 2 clemson players a few years back that flat out said they accepted $$$ and it just got swept under the rug?

Nah. Not at all. I was referring to the guy who stated clemson seems to do things right. Clemson is as dirty as they get. I just always wonder besides a fondness from one person or staff from another what qualifies one staff as doing it right while another is dirty if you yourself have had no contact directly with any of them... truthfully told there are very few staffs in the nation who do things --------

The problem you have yes money,cars,women its all there but funded by private foundations and groups.What
laws have been broken if its interested third parties have an interest in Alabama or Georgia?You have no complaints
when one of these groups offer to put up a new building on campus but when the word football is mentioned its
a NO NO!
Actually the same laws are broken in ncaa eyes regardless of if its the university itself or outside financing like it is. It still violates ncaa rules which prohibit amateur athletes from accepting anything from anyone who isnt family or the agreed upon amount by the said university.

Advertisement
Nah. Not at all. I was referring to the guy who stated clemson seems to do things right. Clemson is as dirty as they get. I just always wonder besides a fondness from one person or staff from another what qualifies one staff as doing it right while another is dirty if you yourself have had no contact directly with any of them... truthfully told there are very few staffs in the nation who do things --------

Then I stand corrected. Miami beat Clemson in recruiting rankings in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017. The years we didn't beat them were coaching change years. This year someone did the math and if you take out two 3 stars from our class (Miller and George), Miami beats Clemson in the recruiting rankings again in 2018. Clemson might be cheating in recruiting, but they are apparently doing a terrible job at it.

There's been have's and have not's in college football since it first began. The teams with the available funds will use them regardless of NCAA rules. Programs like Texas and Alabama will always have more. They always have, it's not new. It's up to the smaller market teams to find ways to gain competitive advantage since they can't just throw money at everything. OP mentioned the Yankees and baseball is a pretty good analogy since they don't have a salary cap. The Astros won the world series by defeating the Dodgers (highest payroll in baseball by 40 mil) and the Yankees (second highest payroll in baseball). Proving that spending the most money doesn't always equal winning the title. ****, look at the Mets. They spend more than almost everybody and still suck every year. You could probably say the Texas Longhorns are the Mets of college football.

$$$ aren't the ONLY reasons big time recruits select a school to attend.

IF that were the case the SEC ( well known for spreading $$$$) would have lines of cash hungry recruits lined up at their coaches offices. There are lots of reasons NOT to go to a BAMA or Ole Miss that cash cannot overcome.

Really haven't heard that many athletes saying "I went to XYZ because of the facilities either.

Advertisement

Unfortunately, Miami will never be able to compete with those bags. Could this stop Miami from being what once was? Or do you think Miami can overcome the bag game by bringing in 3 or 4 star athletes with high ceilings?

Then I stand corrected. Miami beat Clemson in recruiting rankings in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017. The years we didn't beat them were coaching change years. This year someone did the math and if you take out two 3 stars from our class (Miller and George), Miami beats Clemson in the recruiting rankings again in 2018. Clemson might be cheating in recruiting, but they are apparently doing a terrible job at it.
Not really. The confusion in that comes from every staff has a different strategy & budget to work inside of. Yes we beat them overall yet they still got the #1qb in the country two years in a row & the same with dt & de. Anotherwords maybe the rankings dont reflect an absolute truth because its a team ranking rather than reflecting what happened with said targets... also not always do kids end up going to the school they took from. Often they bluff and see what the response is. Most universities are okay with the bluff knowing the repercussions otherwise.

Not really. The confusion in that comes from every staff has a different strategy & budget to work inside of. Yes we beat them overall yet they still got the #1qb in the country two years in a row & the same with dt & de. Anotherwords maybe the rankings dont reflect an absolute truth because its a team ranking rather than reflecting what happened with said targets... also not always do kids end up going to the school they took from. Often they bluff and see what the response is. Most universities are okay with the bluff knowing the repercussions otherwise.

Odd though that the SEC schools most notorious for bags are almost always top 5. Miami, who of course doesn't drop bags, beats Clemson in the rankings 7 out of last 10 years. Clemson lands a few top choices, but apparently they aren't throwing money at every top prospect like the worst offenders, otherwise I'd expect the average ranking to be much higher. Agreed that recruiting strategy plays into it, seems Clemson is better at identifying and locking up talent early. Clemson got DeShaun Watson on board when he was in 10th grade. Richt didn't offer until a year later. I think we've seen this story of waiting too long to offer before.

Unfortunately, Miami will never be able to compete with those bags. Could this stop Miami from being what once was? Or do you think Miami can overcome the bag game by bringing in 3 or 4 star athletes with high ceilings?
We dont need to compete with it anywhere near as much as youre being led to believe. Reality is weve made it this far with al goldens players largely throughout the roster. All we need now is the depth that these past 2 recruiting classes have provided to become more prevolant. We need parity throughout the lineup because healthy competition is what sharpens these kids. Like we always used to know so long as we practiced hard wed always be looking at lesser competition on saturday than we faced all week. Our main problem right now is getting what we need out of several positions. I look for that to be significantly increased this year so long as our oline is ALOT more physical. Im tired of seeing our oline not come out from one play to the next looking to embarass people. Thats why i love gaynor,Donaldson, herbert & scaife. They all play nasty

Advertisement
Back