What's the precedent of firing an AD and a HC in the same year?

streetja

UM HC: Miami Natives Only 😎
I ask because I'm reading this article on ESPN: Five CFB HCs in line for a promotion and I can't help but get jealous of how USC has handled things recently.

A rundown:

-- After reaching badly on Lynn Swann as AD because he was a "USC guy" (sound familiar?), the three year experiment comes to an end in 2019 after his terrible decision to promote Clay Helton to HC (sound familiar?) culminates in a 5-7 record in Helton's third year, with albeit, some external heat on him from potentially being connected to the USC admissions scandal. (He wasn't)

-- USC conducts a two month search for a replacement AD and finally settle on Cincinnati AD Mike Bohn in November of 2019.

-- While Lynn Swann was fired in 2019, Clay Helton was retained and oversees an 8-5 record and successfully navigates the pandemic season and finishes 2020 with a 5-1 record.

-- Despite his relative success the last two years, only the r3tard USC slurpers are celebrating Helton's tenure. The wins are fake and hollow and eerily reminiscent of Golden's, Richt's and Mancheese's fake lone year's of "success".

-- Mike Bohn, overseer of the hiring of Luke Fickell at Cincy, knows what a football coach is and is biding his time to spring the trap on the poor and unsuspecting Clay Helton.

-- USC gets embarrassed by Stanford in only the second game of this season, and Bohn whips out the guillotine he's been sharpening since the moment he got hired and beheads Clayton in one of the more embarrassing fashion's you'll see in the business: Fired September 13 on a season that started 9 days ago.

Now, USC, with a proven and skilled AD, has an even bigger advantage of any program on the market this season.

Meanwhile, at the most pathetic Country Club in the country, our AD and our President are so bad at their jobs that they're forced to make a PSA declaring that they are, indeed, aware that we have a football program. No doubt that after issuing the PSA, the Hecht threw the biggest party ever, congratulating themselves for a job well done by having a 9am Saturday pool party, complete with the ugliest people in Miami, all lathered up in 2 inches thick white sunscreen and the playlist consisting exclusively of the Hanson Brothers.

If, instead of being the lamest Country Club in the country, we were an actual university that took our football program seriously, Blake would have been fired after his hire Mancheese Diaz lost to FIU on that fateful night. A new, unforeseen low had been reached on our program and for that heads had to roll. A real university immediately makes that call and affords the AD the courtesy of not inheriting an absolute calamity. Instead, that is exactly what is about to happen. We are, right now, staring down the barrel of going 2-9, firing the HC and being forced to also fire the AD. Leaving the university with no AD to hire a HC, and being at the complete opposite of USC -- the biggest disadvantage of any program on the market this season.

So I ask, is there any precedent of this? Any reference at all that tells us a university can be absolutely leaderless at multiple crucial spots inside a program and not come out for the worse?

It's a sad question to ask, and whatever the answer is, I just hope the BOT is aware of a third option, and personally my favorite: #FoldTheProgram.

Advertisement
Rogers, Kenny The Gambler

-
You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run .....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
If a loved one was in a coma for the past 20 years and they asked you how their precious Hurricanes have been doing, all you'd need to do is tell them that this man is unTOUCHABLE inside our program.
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 5.12.46 PM.png

Advertisement
Two recent examples both from 2017.

Tennessee fired the AD bc he tried to hire Schiano and the fans revolted then installed Fulmer as AD who hired Pruitt.

Nebraska fired our old AD Eichorst in early fall of 2017 and then fired Riley at the end of the season before hiring Frost.

Advertisement
If a loved one was in a coma for the past 20 years and they asked you how their precious Hurricanes have been doing, all you'd need to do is tell them that this man is unTOUCHABLE inside our program.
View attachment 157148

I’ve never wanted to harm another human being more than after seeing this picture

For his safety, I hope he resigns soon

Advertisement
Back