What's the deal with David Thompson?

RiDLer80

All-American
Who KNOWS what he plans do? I haven't seen any reports or articles on him. Just wondering should we really consider him part of this class.

Advertisement
Will he play football, or is he a baseball player only? Will he count towards one of the 85 football ships?

Advertisement
I still believe Thompson will be a first round draft pick in this summer's MLB draft in June.

I think the money will be too much to turn down. I think I read that the kid is the home run champ in the state of Florida before his senior season is even set to begin and was the National player of the year his sophmore year.

I'm not going to get excited over him until I see him with my own two eyes running out of the smoke before our first game next season.

thumbnail.aspx

Advertisement
I think there's a good chance he ends up on campus. He isn't an A Rod type of prospect because of his size. He's only 5'11-6'0 with average speed and an average arm. He doesn't really have a position.

I think there's a good chance he ends up on campus. He isn't an A Rod type of prospect because of his size. He's only 5'11-6'0 with average speed and an average arm. He doesn't really have a position.

Good points and one of the reasons why he will prob slip, along with the scouts growing concern over his desire and interest in football. To say he doesn't have a position is a stretch though.

The other thing that's happened is MLB just changed the rules on signing kids in the draft. The days of heavy over slotting etc are done. And a guy that has signability concerns because of college interest just became much more dangerous to these teams.

He's an elite bat...and that's valuable. But once he gets past about pick 20. He's likely to slide considerably.

Advertisement

This. Spot on Spoke with one of the UM baseball coaches and they see him as a Very good college player but not first round material. He will enroll.

Advertisement
Update for those wondering. He’s still in the minors for the Mets playing 3B. Still has yet to be called up. All-around average.

Advertisement
Back