What's more important as a Miami Head coach

Braziliangirl

Redshirt Freshman
1)recruiting, 2)Developing talent, 3)game day coaching. How would you rank the three? I would say developing talent, recruiting, then game day coaching.

I would say developing talent is more important at Miami. The area produces lots of talent. We get some talent just with our name and tradition. If we develop the talent and win games, our recruiting pickups on its own. Gameday coaching become easier when you have more talent then other team.

Advertisement
1)recruiting, 2)Developing talent, 3)game day coaching. How would you rank the three? I would say developing talent, recruiting, then game day coaching.

I would say developing talent is more important at Miami. The area produces lots of talent. We get some talent just with our name and tradition. If we develop the talent and win games, our recruiting pickups on its own. Gameday coaching become easier when you have more talent then other team.

Sounds a lot like Butch Davis

After radio and golden, I would like to see an actual game day coach first.

The talent development next, as winning with a gameday coach in the first two seasons will help bring recruits from around Miami anyways.

After radio and golden, I would like to see an actual game day coach first.

The talent development next, as winning with a gameday coach in the first two seasons will help bring recruits from around Miami anyways.

Agree with this. I think our brand would sell most of the elite kids in Florida but eventually we're going to have to go out of state.

Advertisement
Game day is easily first and second would be development by default. The campus is located in Miami Florida, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. If we are WINNING, recruiting will take care of itself. I mean if you were a 18 year old, would you rather play for a team that is winning 10+ games in Columbus Ohia, Tuscaloosa Alabama, or Miami Florida? This program just needs a winner and everything will fall in place

A good or great game day coach would probably know how to put his players in the best position to win. Give me a great game day coach and the rest like recruiting and development will take care of itself.

Agree with most above.
Game day coach. Coach 'em up.
They will come...in unprecedented numbers.

I would add another category: scheme, i.e. developing a scheme to fit your talent.

Advertisement
Jimmy wasnt a great game day coach - Butch was really bad (one of the reasons he didnt make it in the NFL)

4) Getting an undeserved extension followed by a generous buyout so that you can fade off into college football obscurity but still live a confortable life.

*Caveat to (4)- If you also happened to have attended the University of Miami- getting a segment of the fanbase to still believe that you "bleed orange and green" no matter what nonsense you pull post dismissal or how much you stole money during your tenure

Jimmy wasnt a great game day coach - Butch was really bad (one of the reasons he didnt make it in the NFL)

Butch had one bad coordinator - his friend - and he didn't hesitate to fire him and that's when the 2000, 2001, 2002 Hurricanes SHOULD have won three NC's but FSU screwed us out of the 2000 game, and OSU got our third NC on a really bad call.

So no, Butch wasn't a bad game day coach.

Advertisement

Butch had one bad coordinator - his friend - and he didn't hesitate to fire him and that's when the 2000, 2001, 2002 Hurricanes SHOULD have won three NC's but FSU screwed us out of the 2000 game, and OSU got our third NC on a really bad call.

So no, Butch wasn't a bad game day coach.

Easy argument for me to win - Butch great recruiter and great at developing talent - look at the Talent on the 2000 team, should NOT have lost a game including Washington. Once again - his in ability to make adjustments and scheme is why he was out in the NFL in a short time frame bc there really isnt any need for a great recruiter in the NFL

Advertisement

Depends what condition the program is in.
As it is right now I would say Recruting-developing talent-game day.
They are all important but if he excels at recruiting/developing then hopefully he has the sense and connections to hire good coordinators (not best friends) and let's them do their job.

Interesting topic... A few points I'd like to add. Sorry for the length!

About Jimmy... this guy was a brilliant psychologist. He had this unreal ability to get the most out of a person. I'm not going to say that he wasn't a good gameday coach, but Jimmy had the mindset that another person could teach a kid the exact speed, velocity, power and aiming point to effectively run through a wall and get on the other side. All of the correct science. JJ felt that all he needed was that kids ear for a few seconds and he'd guarantee to get him through that wall! People PLAYED FOR JIMMY! He also had a really good staff. Legend

About our last 3 coaches and this topic...

I think Larry really got star happy when it came to recruiting (even though I would like to think college coaches don't pay attention to rankings). Everyone and their mother wanted to come to the U during that period, and Cokers staffs didn't seem to really evaluate. Year in and year out they got top talent, as far as rankings, but the majority of those kids turned out to be bust. So maybe he was REALLY WEAK at player development. Don't get me started on his gameday adjustments as a head. (Where the name 'Clappy was born)

I think we can all agree that Randy had the right idea as far as trying to win sofla first as far as recruiting, but poor coordinator choices really killed him. Had to settle for Patrick Nix when he was CRAZY for Dirk Koetter (how many of us remember this?) Had his year of Whipple ball, which was exciting at times, but very high risk, turnoveresque, mostly due to Whipple trying to build a resume. Really wish he could've kept Bill Young around a little longer also. Game day decisions and player development were really bad areas for Randy as well.

And then there was Al. I think we all grew very tired right away of Als commitment to recruit the northeast. We all can agree that Miami built itself on getting some blue collar kids from that area, but early on, Al seemed to make it more of a priority to dominate that area then protect his own backyard. This 016 class proves he learned from the era of his ways, as the staff jumped on a lot of kids QUICK ( thanks to Ice, KB, Scott and Baez, even though Al does deserve the credit in hiring them and allowing them to do so), but can we hold on to this group is the question??? Al's gameday coaching is a little better than Cokers and Randy, just because of his experience over them, and he's done a fine job of developing players for the NEXT LEVEL, but using these players for our own scheme is where he's been absolutely atrocious. I feel this is 100% on his decision making of his coordinators. Give him credit, he did hire Fisch who's now with one of the best coach's in the country up in Michigan, but many still believe that Coley was more green than ready due to his experience of being in Jimbo's shadow at FSU, and we all know his biggest blunder has been his friendship hire at the DC position. Cringeworthy to hear people compare our defensive scheme to that of the Seattle Seahawks... Just stop!

All in all, I think to be successful at the U as a head coach, you have to be an excellent motivator with a solid, knowledgeable staff. The brand sales itself, the gameday x's and o's are a very minimal part of a head coaches job beleive it or not, and Al is proving that you can develop kids all you want, but if they're not being correctly utilized in your scheme, it means nothing but an interesting December when the older guys want to preserve their draft stock, and the younger guys still want to play for something.

It's one of the easiest jobs in a America if you're not a total ******* underqualified moron. The person in the aforementioned position is automatically privy to THE most fertile recruiting territory on the planet.

Add to that the fact you're in the ACC and an extremely well trained chimpanzee wins you 9 games. Ask yourself this question...normally the head coach at a big time school with big time history who leaves that job usually either gets a better or lateral position somewhere else. Our last 3 coaches have:

1) Now coaching at a START UP PROGRAM
2) Been relegated to a POSITION COACH
3) Golden - destined for either a small school or demotion to a position coach.

Subsequent events are usually THE most telling fact in regards to past decisions. I'll leave it at that.

Interesting topic... A few points I'd like to add. Sorry for the length!

About Jimmy... this guy was a brilliant psychologist. He had this unreal ability to get the most out of a person. I'm not going to say that he wasn't a good gameday coach, but Jimmy had the mindset that another person could teach a kid the exact speed, velocity, power and aiming point to effectively run through a wall and get on the other side. All of the correct science. JJ felt that all he needed was that kids ear for a few seconds and he'd guarantee to get him through that wall! People PLAYED FOR JIMMY! He also had a really good staff. Legend

About our last 3 coaches and this topic...

I think Larry really got star happy when it came to recruiting (even though I would like to think college coaches don't pay attention to rankings). Everyone and their mother wanted to come to the U during that period, and Cokers staffs didn't seem to really evaluate. Year in and year out they got top talent, as far as rankings, but the majority of those kids turned out to be bust. So maybe he was REALLY WEAK at player development. Don't get me started on his gameday adjustments as a head. (Where the name 'Clappy was born)

I think we can all agree that Randy had the right idea as far as trying to win sofla first as far as recruiting, but poor coordinator choices really killed him. Had to settle for Patrick Nix when he was CRAZY for Dirk Koetter (how many of us remember this?) Had his year of Whipple ball, which was exciting at times, but very high risk, turnoveresque, mostly due to Whipple trying to build a resume. Really wish he could've kept Bill Young around a little longer also. Game day decisions and player development were really bad areas for Randy as well.

And then there was Al. I think we all grew very tired right away of Als commitment to recruit the northeast. We all can agree that Miami built itself on getting some blue collar kids from that area, but early on, Al seemed to make it more of a priority to dominate that area then protect his own backyard. This 016 class proves he learned from the era of his ways, as the staff jumped on a lot of kids QUICK ( thanks to Ice, KB, Scott and Baez, even though Al does deserve the credit in hiring them and allowing them to do so), but can we hold on to this group is the question??? Al's gameday coaching is a little better than Cokers and Randy, just because of his experience over them, and he's done a fine job of developing players for the NEXT LEVEL, but using these players for our own scheme is where he's been absolutely atrocious. I feel this is 100% on his decision making of his coordinators. Give him credit, he did hire Fisch who's now with one of the best coach's in the country up in Michigan, but many still believe that Coley was more green than ready due to his experience of being in Jimbo's shadow at FSU, and we all know his biggest blunder has been his friendship hire at the DC position. Cringeworthy to hear people compare our defensive scheme to that of the Seattle Seahawks... Just stop!

All in all, I think to be successful at the U as a head coach, you have to be an excellent motivator with a solid, knowledgeable staff. The brand sales itself, the gameday x's and o's are a very minimal part of a head coaches job beleive it or not, and Al is proving that you can develop kids all you want, but if they're not being correctly utilized in your scheme, it means nothing but an interesting December when the older guys want to preserve their draft stock, and the younger guys still want to play for something.

This is a very good post. I believe Coker failed because he didn't want to open things up. He was conservative in nature and it caused us to not take risks until we absolutely had to. But we played our best when he let those boys cut loose. He just wasn't built for the type of kids that were here after Ed Reed and crew left. I think that Randy's inability to keep Bill Young on staff was right behind his hiring of Patrick Nix as the two major reasons that he failed here. Golden will ultimately succeed or fail this year. He's fighting uphill because he wasn't quick enough to push out those who held back the program (a couple players, but mostly coaches).

This season might not be quite the failure that many around here are hoping for and that's a bad thing. The worst thing that could possibly happen is a middling year (8-10 wins, but not ACCCG) for our Canes because there will be pressure within to let Al "see things through". I'm hopeful for either a massively successful turn around this year or an utter failure. If Golden wins big, he's going to parlay that into a better situation. If he fails miserably, he'll be gone. A "meh" season means that there won't be many soft landing spots for him to fade into and there will be unfortunate overtures to keep him.

Advertisement
Back