What's happened to Linebacker U at the U?

Truest thing said on this thread was that Eddie Johnson had the potential to be the best linebacker of them all. Kid was a physical and athletic freak. Closest thing we've had to a 2001 team linebacker since Jon Beason. Not hating on Denzel, he is a savage and will be a perennial pro bowler but Johnson was the real deal.

I was at the Georgia Tech game.. I will never forget that stick!!! EJ

Advertisement
Imagine Gionni Paul who turned out to be very good, Eddie Johnson( highest ceiling of them all...) roaming the linebacker corps with Denzel perryman... That's what happened to the position.... Perryman is up there with the elite linebackers that has come out of the U. The depth is getting back though especially with the 2016 class...

I'm sorry but to me that statement either shows a lack of football knowledge as a whole or simply a lack of um history. But to say Denzel is up there among the best we ever put out is insulting to those that came before him at best & insane to say the least. Yes Denzel was a beast underneath & would make you pay if you tried anything down low. On the other hand he was a free completion 10 out of 10 times when he'd be asked to drop into coverage. Conceivably may be the worst coverage linebacker we have ever had(as a starter) So please when youre discussing a school that has put out some of the best linebackers in the history of both college or pro football please put some more thought into your statement before it comes out of your mouth. #raylewisendorsesthismessage

So a player who steps in day 1 dominating the NFL is not an elite linebacker from Miami?whatever.... What a Nostalgic post. I'd like to see the other elite linebackers play with the players perryman had to play with and coaches that were around him at the U... Despite all that perryman still showed up nearly every game...

You're really have to be blind or lack reading comprehension. As I said underneath Denzel is a beast. If you've followed any of the chargers games this season he attacks the line basically every single play. They play him to his strengths. History by the way implies nostalgia. By the poster stating he's among the elite to ever come out of the university of miami you're referring to our history,history being the past. So I'd say to stick to the post it would obviously be nostalgic right? So to recap, dp made plays underneath. He ran after the wide open tight ends & eventually tackled them. He was a hard hitter. So other than that what exactly was so amazing about dp? I'm not gonna bash a kid I like but we have a ton of backers that have come out just as good as him that we never thought so much of because in our regular scheme they just did their jobs. You all think so much of dp cause he's a **** of a hitter & everything else about our defense simply made us cry... put him even on one of onions squads besides Spence etc & u just say he's good.

I don't know what elite actually means, but hating on Denzel seems a little ridiculous.

Compare Denzel's defensive line vs what Beason or Vilma or Morgan or Lewis or Barrow or Moss, etc had in front of them. How good would he have been on those teams? Complain about his coverage, but it's hard to cover receivers with no pass rush. He was Dorito's highest drafted Miami defensive player at 48th overall and our highest drafted defensive player since 2008. Only 8 Miami linebackers in our history were drafted earlier in the NFL draft than him. To us fans, even just getting drafted playing in that system is a major accomplishment in itself. He also did pretty well this year in the NFL. In his last 9 games for the Chargers, he averaged close to 7 tackles per game.

Last thing I'd do is hate on dp. But this is a statement that is just absurd. It's irrelevant of how good he could of been with a line or in this scheme or that. The fact is he accomplished what he accomplished in the system he played in with the players we had. Nothing changes that. Would any knowledgeable fan say he could start in the Bermuda triangle besides smith,armstead or barrow. Would he have started on our early 2000s teams over dj,vilma or anyone besides possibly Campbell? Dan Morgan, Ray Lewis, Ted Hendricks before he was switched to rush end? All I'm stating is we have an amazing history at this program. To say he's good would be 100% accurate to say he's among those elite when he can't drop into pass coverage to save his life is just foolish. With all that said I think just like the majority of our players he'll be a good pro & with a coach who embraces his strengths he'll be a **** good linebacker. Personally I love knowing we have another cane in the league who represents our legacy.

Denzel and Spence.

Grace still has one more year.

Outside of that yeah. It's been suspect.

Eddie Johnson could have been great if he didn't choke out one of BOTs son on campus.

I'm confident guys with potential and talent like Owens, Young, Perry, Shaq, Zach, and Mike can help us get back to more consistent tradition again. As well as guys like Wilder and Steed in 2017 class.

All hypothetical but the pieces are there.

Denzel and Spence.

Grace still has one more year.

Outside of that yeah. It's been suspect.

Eddie Johnson could have been great if he didn't choke out one of BOTs son on campus.

I'm confident guys with potential and talent like Owens, Young, Perry, Shaq, Zach, and Mike can help us get back to more consistent tradition again. As well as guys like Wilder and Steed in 2017 class.

All hypothetical but the pieces are there.

"if he didn't choke out one of BOTs son on campus."

Never heard the details of this. Which BOT son? What specifically happened?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back