What'r your pros/cons to Spring Game

iLoveTDs

Junior
Banned

Pros
-Mark Richt's use of his personnel (he's better than I anticipated as a play-caller)
-Only a few penalties
-2 back sets and using FB/H-Back in the passing game (goalline/redzone offense will be so much better imo)
-Kaaya's accuracy. The throw to Malcom in 1st half on post pattern was perfect.
-How free Diaz lets the LBs play (Shaq is a bona fide stud already, great instincts and lays wood - wow @ the thought of him as a junior)
-Jaquan Johnson impressed me - made some nice plays and even jumped a route but dropped the pick 6
-OL exceeded my expectations in passing protection
-Defense on short yardage wasn't bad at all. Stopped a couple 3rd/4th and shorts.
-McIntosh, AQM, & Gerald are animals. Very disruptive and were robbed of a couple sacks.
-RBs in the passing game
-Entire staff is an upgrade, every one of em

Cons
-Tackling, specifically from the secondary
-Losing containment on stretch runs
-Depth at CB/WR/OL (the obvious)
-How we defended the draw, was pretty bad. Had 3rd and long at one point and Richt ran a draw for 12 yards and 1st down.
-Not a lot of 3 and outs
-Lack of deep threats
-Closing speed from CBs is weak
-Defense against bubble screens (in 4th quarter when we ran them)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Pros:
- Kaaya was really getting rid of the ball quickly. A lot like NFL teams such as the Packers and Patriots do (I'm a Phins fan). And this style of play really seems to wear defenses down.
- Dline looked solid
- Shaq was great
- Berrios was being utilized in a more effective way. Rather than hitting him with screen passes like in past years, we let him get down the field. Berrios isn't great at breaking tackles which is why I think he isn't great on the screen plays.

Cons:
-cornerbacks gave up a lot of catches. They won't always be playing against a kaaya caliber player, though.
- Cager got open a lot but dropped some catches that can't happen on Saturdays this fall.
- Backup QBs looked pretty rough. Could be partially due to how bad or second string olinemen are.

And anyone who comments on this thread with something along the lines of "the spring game means nothing"... Why are you in the thread if you don't care?

Pro:

Chris Herndon. Man is he going to be a problem for defenses if we use him right. With Njoku requiring the attention he will, Herndon is unguardable.

Pro:

Chris Herndon. Man is he going to be a problem for defenses if we use him right. With Njoku requiring the attention he will, Herndon is unguardable.

To add to that a healthy coley, berrios, Lewis, cager and the talented guys we have coming in

Advertisement
Herndon just made me feel a lot better about the WR's. Being able to flex out Njoku with Herndon lined up tight or at the Hback, is going to provide a huge relief. You get Stacy Coley and one of those freshman to force the D to stay deep and the middle and underneath stuff to Herndon, Njoku, Berrios and Sam is going to be easy pickings for Kaaya. Just need the OL to hold up long enough for Kaaya to hit them. Kaaya's ability to release the ball quicker is going to help that OL as well. I think it's been said a bunch before, but what the Patriots do with Brady and two and three tight end sets is what I'd like to see more of with Kaaya and this offense.

Herndon just made me feel a lot better about the WR's. Being able to flex out Njoku with Herndon lined up tight or at the Hback, is going to provide a huge relief. You get Stacy Coley and one of those freshman to force the D to stay deep and the middle and underneath stuff to Herndon, Njoku, Berrios and Sam is going to be easy pickings for Kaaya. Just need the OL to hold up long enough for Kaaya to hit them. Kaaya's ability to release the ball quicker is going to help that OL as well. I think it's been said a bunch before, but what the Patriots do with Brady and two and three tight end sets is what I'd like to see more of with Kaaya and this offense.

Herndon was definitely a grown man out there today!

Hard for backup to do to much when you have 5"8 walk ons out there smh these freshman cant get here fast enough!

Advertisement
I think we saw overall a lot if improvement, The qB play of Kaaya is getting way better in his reads, also the TE's will give opposing Defenses problems this year. The running game was solid with Gus, Walton,Gray and Yearby was good catching the ball, The defensive line really seems a better fit or the 4-3. The Linebackers to me with Shaq, Grace and Pinkney was solid ad well as Juwon Young, Secondary Jaquan, Rashwan and Jamal played solid.

Now we must have the wide receivers coming in with Ahmmon, Bruce, Dayall and Dionte have to come in and help Stacy and Berrios and Cager has to take that step in the summer and improve, the OL has to continue to get better especially with speed rushers they will face this year. The corners need way more talent like Now.

I'm about to watch the game again but I thought the oline did pretty well for the most part. Searels is doing work already. That should be expected since he coached at lsu, uga, Texas and va tech. They have totally reshaped the olines body

Pro:

I was trying to tell dudes on here about Hondo, but the same ***** jumped me in like Esai Morales telling me I'm hyping dudes who haven't done anything. This guy is a major mismatch. He's big, strong, tough with long arms and can run. He will be an NFL player.

Advertisement
Pro:

I was trying to tell dudes on here about Hondo, but the same ***** jumped me in like Esai Morales telling me I'm hyping dudes who haven't done anything. This guy is a major mismatch. He's big, strong, tough with long arms and can run. He will be an NFL player.
Yep I remember that, was it it 252 canes who said that?

Richt was masterfully using that little swing pass to backs like he used to do with FSU. That **** is nasty when done right and guys catch it in stride. I remember Warrick Dunn being absolutely destructive chewing up 8 to 12 yards consistently on those.

Are we not going to see a lot of vertical routes in this offense? I know Richt expertise is the mid to short game. Didn't see it in the Spring game. I'm hoping it was because there was no speed on the field.

Pros:
Two of our three best positions are the two most important positions on the field - QB & DL. (TE is stacked also). I really like the quick strike passing game given our OL deficiencies.

Cons:
Horrendous roster management at CB is the thing that is glaring. WR is bad but help's on the way there. We yam what we yam at CB and that's scary and inept from Golden. Richt and Rumph should've done better in February here, too.

Advertisement
Back