What Zo Looks for in a WR...

awill510

Recruit
Long post.... Was listening to 247 podcast with Ivins/Copper(I know how most feel). They attended this players personnel symposium last week. Alonzo Highsmith was one of the speakers, he shared some thoughts on certain positions which they highlighted. What stood out were his thoughts on wide receivers and what he looks for. I went back and looked at the film of the kids we brought in at that position since he has been here and they all hit these traits.
A. Strong Hands/Play Strength- This is something for WRs which is very underrated. I am younger but one WR who had amazing play strength recently was Jamar Chase. No matter what CB he lined up against he was very physical, off the line, in phase, and at the catch point. An example of a player not being good at this that was highly rated was Mark Pope, slight frame and knocked off easily.​
When looking at our recruits they all stand out with strong hands/play strength.​
1. Chance Robinson, he has a very thick frame in the lower body(pause) and plays very physical. The blocks at the end of his hudl show his physicality.​
2. JoJo Trader, he has a slight frame. I know some said he had to solidify his status to those in the recruiting department. The catches he makes in traffic or on top of DBs are unreal, what he lacks in size(pause) he makes up for with his strong hands to snatch any pass at the high point.​
3. Shemar Kirk, he is well known for his YAC ability. His play strength and strong hands are underrated to me. He has some impressive contested catches on his tape against solid JUCO competition(step down from CCSF or CSM).​
B. YAC ability- The way the game is played now you need a receiver that can turn the 5 yard slant into an explosive play. Everybody wants a DeeBo Samuel now. Zo was trying to explain to people that how you get your YAC is important, once you get to college you aren't just turning that corner on people. You have to show some DOG and be willing to fight for those yards. Players down below in my opinion show that DOG and have impressive YAC ability.​
1. Shemar Kirk, When he gets the ball in his hands he is not going down on first contact. As a well built WR he shows that physicality always looking to seek out contact once he gets the ball. This is his biggest strength as a WR in my opinion.​
2. Ray Ray Joseph, as Money noted he has experience as a RB and that shows up in his HS film and in the clips we get from fall camp. He is quick and elusive, something we been missing in the slot.​
3. Robby Washington, honestly he could have fit in the category above with his solid frame. It takes a minute to see the competitiveness that he has once the football is in his hands.​
As a former scout Zo knows what it is supposed to look like at the receiver position, during his time with the Packer he was apart of a front office that did not draft a first round WR but found success in later rounds with Tae Adams(Strong hands) and Ty Montgomery(YAC/former RB).

Advertisement
Long post.... Was listening to 247 podcast with Ivins/Copper(I know how most feel). They attended this players personnel symposium last week. Alonzo Highsmith was one of the speakers, he shared some thoughts on certain positions which they highlighted. What stood out were his thoughts on wide receivers and what he looks for. I went back and looked at the film of the kids we brought in at that position since he has been here and they all hit these traits.
A. Strong Hands/Play Strength- This is something for WRs which is very underrated. I am younger but one WR who had amazing play strength recently was Jamar Chase. No matter what CB he lined up against he was very physical, off the line, in phase, and at the catch point. An example of a player not being good at this that was highly rated was Mark Pope, slight frame and knocked off easily.​
When looking at our recruits they all stand out with strong hands/play strength.​
1. Chance Robinson, he has a very thick frame in the lower body(pause) and plays very physical. The blocks at the end of his hudl show his physicality.​
2. JoJo Trader, he has a slight frame. I know some said he had to solidify his status to those in the recruiting department. The catches he makes in traffic or on top of DBs are unreal, what he lacks in size(pause) he makes up for with his strong hands to snatch any pass at the high point.​
3. Shemar Kirk, he is well known for his YAC ability. His play strength and strong hands are underrated to me. He has some impressive contested catches on his tape against solid JUCO competition(step down from CCSF or CSM).​
B. YAC ability- The way the game is played now you need a receiver that can turn the 5 yard slant into an explosive play. Everybody wants a DeeBo Samuel now. Zo was trying to explain to people that how you get your YAC is important, once you get to college you aren't just turning that corner on people. You have to show some DOG and be willing to fight for those yards. Players down below in my opinion show that DOG and have impressive YAC ability.​
1. Shemar Kirk, When he gets the ball in his hands he is not going down on first contact. As a well built WR he shows that physicality always looking to seek out contact once he gets the ball. This is his biggest strength as a WR in my opinion.​
2. Ray Ray Joseph, as Money noted he has experience as a RB and that shows up in his HS film and in the clips we get from fall camp. He is quick and elusive, something we been missing in the slot.​
3. Robby Washington, honestly he could have fit in the category above with his solid frame. It takes a minute to see the competitiveness that he has once the football is in his hands.​
As a former scout Zo knows what it is supposed to look like at the receiver position, during his time with the Packer he was apart of a front office that did not draft a first round WR but found success in later rounds with Tae Adams(Strong hands) and Ty Montgomery(YAC/former RB).
Thanks for the write up!

Advertisement
I definitely want to win the battles for the national elites. But I think the detail that goes into our evaluation process is a core strength that may be underappreciated here. Over half the five stars, 3/4ths of the 4 stars and 95% of the 3 stars never make a NFL roster. So quality player evals can be and often are the difference between success and failure. That and just keep stacking. Which Mario also does.

Forgot X who is stout (pause) and Smith who also has RB/WR background

I’m glad u hit the pause button 😂 BIG PAUSE

Advertisement
I’ve learned that play strength/physicality is a really big deal in like the last 4 to 5 years. If a corner can just move u off your route even a little they gained an advantage on u. Someone like Chase isn’t as great of a route runner as Jefferson but his physicality and yac ability puts him up there.

I’ve learned that play strength/physicality is a really big deal in like the last 4 to 5 years. If a corner can just move u off your route even a little they gained an advantage on u. Someone like Chase isn’t as great of a route runner as Jefferson but his physicality and yac ability puts him up there.

It works the other way too, with DBs. Couch is a good cover corner. But he gets manhandled and loses a lot of jump balls.

Advertisement
What Gattis looks for in a WR…

Mothers Day Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Advertisement

@Confidence1000 i know you are probably going to have a panic attack when you hear this.

Jesus F Christ all of those guys needs to hit the button! It’s funny as **** but it’s awful! Den they had the nerve to have a video of my nephew commenting about how he’s so powerful from the waist down ( BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG PAUSE)😂😂😂😂😂
Scott Hall Wrestling GIF by WWE

Hey yo commentators! Hit the ***** button please😂😂😂😂😂

A significant portion of modern passing offense involves either:

A) Winning 1 on 1 battles downfield. If you've got single coverage more than 20 yards downfield, you're open. You need to out maneuver the DB for the ball. Especially since he doesn't see it coming. It's not necessarily about out muscling the DB because there are skinny guys who can do this well, it's about tracking the ball and being able to make the grab with strong hands. Charleston Rambo did this really well for us despite not being particularly big or fast.

B) The screen game. WR screens, either bubbles or quick (now) screens are more popular than ever. If a defense wants to give you cushion, punish them by getting the ball to a playmaker as quickly as possible and let him work. They can also be deployed in the RPO easily to take advantage of defenders cheating to stop the run. Guys who can run through traffic and make guys miss at WR can put up huge numbers.

Advertisement
Back