What We Need To See Before UVA

****! You're a HARSH critic. Both Nelson and Clark are TRUE freshmen for Buddha's sake. For example, their suppose to make assignment errors. dUh Nevertheless both will be just fine as the season progresses!

You misunderstood me. I agree they're performing great for being true freshmen. But in the absolute sense, they're not good enough (yet) to play consistently at a high level. The point of the thread was to discuss where progress needs to be made, and need them to get better quickly before we jump into conference play.

The guy I'm most concerned about right now in our starting 5 OL is Donaldson. You and I agree that Nelson and Clark should make progress. Gaynor and Scaife are doing their jobs. But I really hoped Donaldson would be a breakout player in his third year as a starter, but so far he's been average at best.

Advertisement
Just want to see improvement across the board. That includes Baxa. Like him or not he is what we have this season and all you can do is hope. If not he could cost us games again
It sucks, but are we aware of any cases of a kicker sucking then getting his sht together? My position is that he's a bad kicker and that's that. I'm rarely quick to write a guy off, but I think he's earned it. Hope I'm wrong.

Let Jarren air it out more his more his deep ball sucks. Pope should’ve walked into the end zone last game. Same with Harley at UNC. He been nothing short of amazing with everything else so I’m not worried.

Finally hope we can see some Lingard. Save DeeJay and Cam for the ACC slate.

Lastly I would love to see a fade to Mallory inside the 5. He’s a matchup nightmare for anyone smaller. I think we’ve seen it once in two year(Savannah St).

I honestly don't understand how Manny could assign Patke to STs when he's shown no ability to develop the LBs yet. Huge mistake IMHO. But if I were Manny, the first thing I would do is get in a field goal kicking guru to spend several hours a day working 1:1 with Baxa. The kid needs his confidence back and will only get that working with someone he trusts knows what he's doing. Patke is not that guy.

Everything else is fixable. Enos is putting in the work with the QBs, Jarren is coming along really well. Barry still has his work cut out for him with the OL. Scaife and Gaynor are fine. Nelson and Clark misfired on several snaps that I saw, though they looked good on others. Donaldson has looked like he's regressed, tbh, but overall he's also more than adequate. Just not the AA we were all expecting. Hope he can elevate his game. At least it looks like he'll be back next year. No chance he goes pro early unless he's as crazy as Boulware.
There’s no coach or guru that can help a kickers mental state. It’s not physical it’s mental. It’s like a great golfer who can’t sink a putt. Was the kicking coach at FSU the greatest in the world for Auayo and then he went to the Bucs and had the worst coach? Lol no. Adam Vineteri is one of the best kickers of all time and has missed 5 kicks in 2 games. Is that coaching? Guess you feel the need to blame someone other than the person who’s actually doing it.

The long ball from jarren leaves a lot to be desired. He needs to change the trajectory of those passes.

Advertisement
So after game 1 leading up to UVA - OFFENSE

QB - Williams hasn't gotten quicker with his decisions and looks to really struggle throwing the deep ball. As many other threads have stated, Enos isn't helping him out with the long play action plays

RB - Were not good against CMU, tentative hitting holes and tried to bounce things outside instead. O and yea we still haven't seen Lingard

OL - Totally regressed. Zion looked like he did against UF, Clark got yanked from the game, Donaldson still getting beat and bullied by way less talented and smaller guys. Not good

TE/WR - Brevin still looking good and Mallory getting involved more, but then we went away from him. Weird. And no big plays by JT yet.

Enos really needs to rethink his scheme and adjust to fit our personnel. If he doesn't he's going to be on the **** list fast and we'll lose multiple games left on the schedule that we shouldn't lose

So after game 1 leading up to UVA - OFFENSE

QB - Williams hasn't gotten quicker with his decisions and looks to really struggle throwing the deep ball. As many other threads have stated, Enos isn't helping him out with the long play action plays

RB - Were not good against CMU, tentative hitting holes and tried to bounce things outside instead. O and yea we still haven't seen Lingard

OL - Totally regressed. Zion looked like he did against UF, Clark got yanked from the game, Donaldson still getting beat and bullied by way less talented and smaller guys. Not good

TE/WR - Brevin still looking good and Mallory getting involved more, but then we went away from him. Weird. And no big plays by JT yet.

Enos really needs to rethink his scheme and adjust to fit our personnel. If he doesn't he's going to be on the **** list fast and we'll lose multiple games left on the schedule that we shouldn't lose

TE blocking was an issue as well. I think the biggest thing I am seeing is Enos inability to adjust to a defensive scheme. It is like he has him gameplan and sticks to it regardless of the situation. Reminds me of someone we had the last few years.

So after game 1 leading up to UVA - DEFENSE

DL - Rousseau needs to take Patchan's starting spot ASAP. He creates way more pressure and is more athletic even against the run. Thought Garvin played pretty well, and Jon Ford was solid. Overall though, this DL is getting stood up way too often on 4 man rushes against weaker/less talented OLs. Stroud is def on the "concerning staff member" list

LB - Not much left to say. Pinckney and Shaq are what they are. Solid players, but not game changing LBs. Give up too much in coverage over the middle. I'll put 50% on them and 50% on scheme. Thought Frierson played well and should've had a pick

CB - Thought they played the best of the group. Bandy dropped a pick and Blades and Ivey were physical and covered well

S - Gurvan played better and looks to be getting comfortable. Should not come off the field. Knowles back down to earth lol. Got beat a lot and committed stupid penalties. The refs also missed a call on him and the CMU WRs dropped multiple balls. We need Bubba on the field and Knowles off, ASAP.

Overall - As D$ said, the defense is missing something. Let's get the talent on the field vs. seniority (ie. Rousseau over Patchan, Anybody over Knowles, Miller/Chigozie/Blissett a little bit more over Bethel, etc.)

Offense -
  • QB - Jarren continue to develop and progress. Would like see him make quicker decisions and the game keep slowing down for him. As Roman covered, he clearly has the ability to make big time throws. Love what I've seen so far from Jarren and Enos's development of him from Game 1 to Game 3. Keep it up.

• RB - Would love to see the run game really dominate games and set up the pass a little more. DJ, Cam, even Burns have looked great so far. I think we should give them the ball a little more (5-7 more runs a game) and really start to dictate our physical presence. Get Lingard going too.

• OL - Continue to gel and develop. Zion has looked alot better since game 1. Granted the competition level has dropped but looks like he's got his timing right and is improving. Remember ; LT as a True Freshman 2-star recruit. Lets see him continue to gain confidence. Sciafe has looked great at RT, really wish Manny started him out there against UF. Clark continue to develop. He's been good, but has also gotten beat bad a few times. Would be nice to see him improve over the next few games. Gaynor and Donaldson - get nasty and gain confidence against smaller less talented DLs were going to be facing.

• TE/WR - Brevin stay healthy. JT get some big plays. Also would love to see Pope and Mallory used more as well.

Defense -
  • DL - Get Nesta back, and start to dominate. Need to see more TFLs and Sacks from this group. Too much talent to not be dominating the line of scrimmage versus lower level opponents. Really want to see Garvin get after the QB and Rousseau to play more.

• LB/Striker - Romeo has been our best defender this year. Love the way he has been playing. Honestly would like to see Sam Brooks more. His speed at LB is what has been missing from the position. Unfortunately we may have seen the ceiling of Shaq and Pinckney. Shaq has played a bad 2.5 games so would like to see him get back on track, but the sideline to sideline speed for them is just not there.

• CB - Give me some INTs. Bandy needs to get his confidence back up after a bad UNC game. Also would like to see the young guys make some plays (Ivey, Blades, Couch) and play solid.

• S - Has arguably been our worst position group so far. Amari has been bad (tackling and angles), and maybe its time to consider moving him down to Striker. Really want to see Gurvan play at the level everyone is saying he can play at. Need to see him be more sound in tackling and maybe get a pick or two to get some confidence. Bubba could be a huge addition to this group. Will be watching him closely against VT
Overall - A little concerned with how we've looked under Blake Baker but trust Manny to get things right.
I would add:

QB:
Jarren must make a better decision when it comes to converting on 3rd downs. Specifically, there have been at least two plays this season where Jarren had a wide open hole in the middle of the field to gain at least a first down if he rushed it himself and slid. On another occasion @UNC, he could have taken the ball into the endzone himself on a 2-pt conversion rather than throw the lower-percentage pass to Mallory. Defenses are not expecting Jarren to carry it himself. He needs to seize those opportunities and rush when they present themselves. Defenses will bite and play up which can spread the field for his TEs/WRs.

K:
Baxa is in trouble. He can't get it through the uprights--even inside the 25. It may be time to tap the bench for talent at that position.

Advertisement
I honestly don't understand how Manny could assign Patke to STs when he's shown no ability to develop the LBs yet. Huge mistake IMHO. But if I were Manny, the first thing I would do is get in a field goal kicking guru to spend several hours a day working 1:1 with Baxa. The kid needs his confidence back and will only get that working with someone he trusts knows what he's doing. Patke is not that guy.

Everything else is fixable. Enos is putting in the work with the QBs, Jarren is coming along really well. Barry still has his work cut out for him with the OL. Scaife and Gaynor are fine. Nelson and Clark misfired on several snaps that I saw, though they looked good on others. Donaldson has looked like he's regressed, tbh, but overall he's also more than adequate. Just not the AA we were all expecting. Hope he can elevate his game. At least it looks like he'll be back next year. No chance he goes pro early unless he's as crazy as Boulware.

I don't think he can hire another coach to work 1:1 with Baxa. The limit is 10 coaches, from HC to position coaches. You might be able to get away with a GA...

So after game 1 leading up to UVA - DEFENSE

DL - Rousseau needs to take Patchan's starting spot ASAP. He creates way more pressure and is more athletic even against the run. Thought Garvin played pretty well, and Jon Ford was solid. Overall though, this DL is getting stood up way too often on 4 man rushes against weaker/less talented OLs. Stroud is def on the "concerning staff member" list

LB - Not much left to say. Pinckney and Shaq are what they are. Solid players, but not game changing LBs. Give up too much in coverage over the middle. I'll put 50% on them and 50% on scheme. Thought Frierson played well and should've had a pick

CB - Thought they played the best of the group. Bandy dropped a pick and Blades and Ivey were physical and covered well

S - Gurvan played better and looks to be getting comfortable. Should not come off the field. Knowles back down to earth lol. Got beat a lot and committed stupid penalties. The refs also missed a call on him and the CMU WRs dropped multiple balls. We need Bubba on the field and Knowles off, ASAP.

Overall - As D$ said, the defense is missing something. Let's get the talent on the field vs. seniority (ie. Rousseau over Patchan, Anybody over Knowles, Miller/Chigozie/Blissett a little bit more over Bethel, etc.)
pickney was great on coverage vs CMU, he covered the rb great out of the backfield.

Patchan is playing good, Rousseau definitely needs more snaps

I would add:

QB:
Jarren must make a better decision when it comes to converting on 3rd downs. Specifically, there have been at least two plays this season where Jarren had a wide open hole in the middle of the field to gain at least a first down if he rushed it himself and slid. On another occasion @UNC, he could have taken the ball into the endzone himself on a 2-pt conversion rather than throw the lower-percentage pass to Mallory. Defenses are not expecting Jarren to carry it himself. He needs to seize those opportunities and rush when they present themselves. Defenses will bite and play up which can spread the field for his TEs/WRs.

K:
Baxa is in trouble. He can't get it through the uprights--even inside the 25. It may be time to tap the bench for talent at that position.
Tap the bench? LMAO

Advertisement
Tap the bench? LMAO
There's got to be someone somewhere on this team that can do better than 50% FGs/PAs. Somebody... anybody... Beuller.

**** man, Manny... if you see this I'll kick for the Canes. Send me a private message.

I would add:

QB:

K:
Jarren definitely needs to run more often.

Advertisement
I don't think he can hire another coach to work 1:1 with Baxa. The limit is 10 coaches, from HC to position coaches. You might be able to get away with a GA...
Bubba needs a new holder
source.gif

Advertisement
Back