What We Need To See Before UVA

I honestly don't understand how Manny could assign Patke to STs when he's shown no ability to develop the LBs yet. Huge mistake IMHO. But if I were Manny, the first thing I would do is get in a field goal kicking guru to spend several hours a day working 1:1 with Baxa. The kid needs his confidence back and will only get that working with someone he trusts knows what he's doing. Patke is not that guy.

Everything else is fixable. Enos is putting in the work with the QBs, Jarren is coming along really well. Barry still has his work cut out for him with the OL. Scaife and Gaynor are fine. Nelson and Clark misfired on several snaps that I saw, though they looked good on others. Donaldson has looked like he's regressed, tbh, but overall he's also more than adequate. Just not the AA we were all expecting. Hope he can elevate his game. At least it looks like he'll be back next year. No chance he goes pro early unless he's as crazy as Boulware.

Advertisement
40 minutes UVA had the ball on Saturday because god knows that FSU offense cannot stay on the field to save their lives and all they could get was 27 points at home. And that FSU D is smoking hot diarrhea. I like this.

What I don't like is the idea of our molasses like LBs trying to stay with Perkins when he decides to run.

I honestly don't understand how Manny could assign Patke to STs when he's shown no ability to develop the LBs yet. Huge mistake IMHO. But if I were Manny, the first thing I would do is get in a field goal kicking guru to spend several hours a day working 1:1 with Baxa. The kid needs his confidence back and will only get that working with someone he trusts knows what he's doing. Patke is not that guy.

Everything else is fixable. Enos is putting in the work with the QBs, Jarren is coming along really well. Barry still has his work cut out for him with the OL. Scaife and Gaynor are fine. Nelson and Clark misfired on several snaps that I saw, though they looked good on others. Donaldson has looked like he's regressed, tbh, but overall he's also more than adequate. Just not the AA we were all expecting. Hope he can elevate his game. At least it looks like he'll be back next year. No chance he goes pro early unless he's as crazy as Boulware.

Re: Baxa, I have also noticed he seems to have issues with his directional kicking from the far hashes. The angles seem to create issues as he rarely seems to hit ducks.

Safety play will dictate the success of our defense this year, IMO. We need Bubba to be ready to contribute asap and we need more of everything from the rest of that group.
Wouldn’t mind seeing keontra playing more in the starting unit, not exactly like any of the top 3 safeties have been stellar with their play

Advertisement
Hopefully they prove me wrong, but the OL just doesnt look the part to me. I think they'll be a problem for us in ACC play. Theyre gonna need an offseason of serious weight training & conditioning to be a dominant Coastal group. I'd like to know what they are doing in Oregon, they looked impressive vs. Auburn.

Need to stay healthy and do whatever is necessary to beat them and everyone on the regular schedule and dominate as season progress

- 3rd down conversion
- Spread the ball around (PLAY MORE WR's)
- Protect the QB
- Create more pressure upfront (get more sacks & TFL's)
- Create more turnovers

3rd down conversation - less penalties on 1st/2nd. Less sacks (see your Protect QB).
Spread the ball around - I'd actually like to see more Jet sweeps to Dee/Pope. I think JW passed to 11/12 kids.
Protect the QB- more experience is needed along with physical maturing for the young ones. JW also has to run sooner or throw away sooner.
More Pressure- Moar 15 please! I'd rather see Patch move inside with 15 outside on 3rd down and long.
More turnovers- give me less 4th down conversions over turnovers. May as well be a turnover.

Add More made FGs!

Advertisement
Not bad. Gonna be interested to see what OL looks like when we again face real D1 opponents. If we are indeed better up there, your points about the physical run game are spot on. S as worst position group? They need help, but PK (as a position group ;)) is still giving me the heebie jeebies. :eek:
Hopefully Bolden is as good as billed or even better.

Once Bolden has a few games on the docket. He'll be raved about akin to Grad-transfer KJ Osborn.

****! You're a HARSH critic. Both Nelson and Clark are TRUE freshmen for Buddha's sake. For example, their suppose to make assignment errors. dUh Nevertheless both will be just fine as the season progresses!

Romeo has been great in the box defending the run, but the strikers and safeties as a whole have been suspect at best most times in coverage and that showed even more vs UNC where they looked to exploit the slot. We need to have a counter to that as that is a teams counter to our striker. We adjust to that and we'll shut down coastal offenses. Our offense is only gonna get better for awhile we all hope.
Let's see what the coaches have got in em.
Also we need a kicker who can make a kick inside 30 yards

Bandy at nickel like he played against ND with some cover 2 and cover 4 will help on passing downs.

It works well for us but we rarely run it. If we do some Tampa 2 we can’t do so much spying and expose the safeties.

I would also like to see simpler cover one calls allowing the d line to rush the passer hard and emphasize the corners attacking the ball at the receiver and not tying to jump routes without safety help.

It is there for us to play better. Simplifying the calls and trusting the d line will get the pass defense back on track.

Offense -
  • QB - Jarren continue to develop and progress. Would like see him make quicker decisions and the game keep slowing down for him. As Roman covered, he clearly has the ability to make big time throws. Love what I've seen so far from Jarren and Enos's development of him from Game 1 to Game 3. Keep it up.

• RB - Would love to see the run game really dominate games and set up the pass a little more. DJ, Cam, even Burns have looked great so far. I think we should give them the ball a little more (5-7 more runs a game) and really start to dictate our physical presence. Get Lingard going too.

• OL - Continue to gel and develop. Zion has looked alot better since game 1. Granted the competition level has dropped but looks like he's got his timing right and is improving. Remember ; LT as a True Freshman 2-star recruit. Lets see him continue to gain confidence. Sciafe has looked great at RT, really wish Manny started him out there against UF. Clark continue to develop. He's been good, but has also gotten beat bad a few times. Would be nice to see him improve over the next few games. Gaynor and Donaldson - get nasty and gain confidence against smaller less talented DLs were going to be facing.

• TE/WR - Brevin stay healthy. JT get some big plays. Also would love to see Pope and Mallory used more as well.

Defense -
  • DL - Get Nesta back, and start to dominate. Need to see more TFLs and Sacks from this group. Too much talent to not be dominating the line of scrimmage versus lower level opponents. Really want to see Garvin get after the QB and Rousseau to play more.

• LB/Striker - Romeo has been our best defender this year. Love the way he has been playing. Honestly would like to see Sam Brooks more. His speed at LB is what has been missing from the position. Unfortunately we may have seen the ceiling of Shaq and Pinckney. Shaq has played a bad 2.5 games so would like to see him get back on track, but the sideline to sideline speed for them is just not there.

• CB - Give me some INTs. Bandy needs to get his confidence back up after a bad UNC game. Also would like to see the young guys make some plays (Ivey, Blades, Couch) and play solid.

• S - Has arguably been our worst position group so far. Amari has been bad (tackling and angles), and maybe its time to consider moving him down to Striker. Really want to see Gurvan play at the level everyone is saying he can play at. Need to see him be more sound in tackling and maybe get a pick or two to get some confidence. Bubba could be a huge addition to this group. Will be watching him closely against VT
Overall - A little concerned with how we've looked under Blake Baker but trust Manny to get things right.

I want to see our coaches look smarter than the other teams coaches and our team look more engaged and prepared than the other team in the first 5-7 minutes of the game.

Aside from the first offensive series against UF, what I have seen so far is a team that comes out of the tunnel less prepared and less inspired than the other team. The coaches are smart enough to make in-game adjustments to what the other team is doing, and the players are talented and smart enough to execute and outplay the other team for large stretches of the game, but we don't have the margin of error to survive the slow starts and other mistakes that occur. That means our coaches aren't doing their job effectively during the week.

I was at a presentation today (it was about preparing for an "active shooter") and they put this quote on the screen:
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archilocus

I was like, ****. That's Miami football for 15+ years. We keep wanting to talk about talent, and swag, and "big time players make big time plays in big time games", but then we go out and false start all over the field and consistently show that the other team has out-prepared us.

Enough with all the other bullsh!t. I want to see our team have a better game plan and look more prepared than the other team. If we do that, there's not a team left on our schedule that should beat us.

Advertisement
Offense -
  • QB - Jarren continue to develop and progress. Would like see him make quicker decisions and the game keep slowing down for him. As Roman covered, he clearly has the ability to make big time throws. Love what I've seen so far from Jarren and Enos's development of him from Game 1 to Game 3. Keep it up.

• RB - Would love to see the run game really dominate games and set up the pass a little more. DJ, Cam, even Burns have looked great so far. I think we should give them the ball a little more (5-7 more runs a game) and really start to dictate our physical presence. Get Lingard going too.

• OL - Continue to gel and develop. Zion has looked alot better since game 1. Granted the competition level has dropped but looks like he's got his timing right and is improving. Remember ; LT as a True Freshman 2-star recruit. Lets see him continue to gain confidence. Sciafe has looked great at RT, really wish Manny started him out there against UF. Clark continue to develop. He's been good, but has also gotten beat bad a few times. Would be nice to see him improve over the next few games. Gaynor and Donaldson - get nasty and gain confidence against smaller less talented DLs were going to be facing.

• TE/WR - Brevin stay healthy. JT get some big plays. Also would love to see Pope and Mallory used more as well.

Defense -
  • DL - Get Nesta back, and start to dominate. Need to see more TFLs and Sacks from this group. Too much talent to not be dominating the line of scrimmage versus lower level opponents. Really want to see Garvin get after the QB and Rousseau to play more.

• LB/Striker - Romeo has been our best defender this year. Love the way he has been playing. Honestly would like to see Sam Brooks more. His speed at LB is what has been missing from the position. Unfortunately we may have seen the ceiling of Shaq and Pinckney. Shaq has played a bad 2.5 games so would like to see him get back on track, but the sideline to sideline speed for them is just not there.

• CB - Give me some INTs. Bandy needs to get his confidence back up after a bad UNC game. Also would like to see the young guys make some plays (Ivey, Blades, Couch) and play solid.

• S - Has arguably been our worst position group so far. Amari has been bad (tackling and angles), and maybe its time to consider moving him down to Striker. Really want to see Gurvan play at the level everyone is saying he can play at. Need to see him be more sound in tackling and maybe get a pick or two to get some confidence. Bubba could be a huge addition to this group. Will be watching him closely against VT
Overall - A little concerned with how we've looked under Blake Baker but trust Manny to get things right.
I'd love to see JW hit a deep ball in stride & more than 1 thrown in a game

Bandy at nickel like he played against ND with some cover 2 and cover 4 will help on passing downs.

It works well for us but we rarely run it. If we do some Tampa 2 we can’t do so much spying and expose the safeties.

I would also like to see simpler cover one calls allowing the d line to rush the passer hard and emphasize the corners attacking the ball at the receiver and not tying to jump routes without safety help.

It is there for us to play better. Simplifying the calls and trusting the d line will get the pass defense back on track.
Yes yes yes and more yes. We played simple last year especially cover 1 we just let them play and did well. Idk if we have the players right now to do that but bandy as the nickel and less reliance on the safeties and LBs in coverage and we dominate games like last year

I want to see if Diaz and his staff can actually take advantage of the bye week after CMU, and prepare for this Vtech game and have this team firing on all cylinders on 10/5. We should beat VT by at least 2 TDs. I was highly disappointed in the slow start against UNC that ultimately doomed us and how the team didn't look ready to play.

Advertisement
40 minutes UVA had the ball on Saturday because god knows that FSU offense cannot stay on the field to save their lives and all they could get was 27 points at home. And that FSU D is smoking hot diarrhea. I like this.

What I don't like is the idea of our molasses like LBs trying to stay with Perkins when he decides to run.

That's why that's Garvin's job. At least, so far. We'll see against UVA. I'm not sure anyone in our front 7 is capable of handling Perkins 1 on 1. That's probably going to have to be more of a zone game.

Offense -

Defense -

Nice job, OP. I enjoyed your post. Thanks! I agree, you hit the nail on the head on every position. You failed to mention the elephant in the room. Bubba. I hope he finds his confidence quickly or he could cost us a game or two more this season. WE NEED BUBBA!!!

Advertisement
Back