What This Win Means for Us and Florida Football

I will say, the arrogance from their fanbase during the Jimbo years was something else. I always told my FSU friends that the pendulum swings and that they would be mediocre again sooner than they'd think. They never bought it, thought Jimbo would stay forever.

Not only did they lose a great coach like Jimbo, basically pushed him out, but they replaced him with a coach worse than Al Golden in Willie Taggart, and gave him a massive buyout to take a risk on Mike Norvell. At a foundational level, they've got no heart and no identity in that program.
I was baffled when they forced Jimbo out. Their arrogance in thinking they'd just hire another elite college HC, and how vital they are for a programme, made me laugh.

Advertisement
I've gotta say, we've all been waiting for us to finally give FSU this type of beatdown and get some payback for 1997, 2010, and 2013. Any type of win against FSU is great, but the feeling after this win is unparalleled. Four in a row, and we just dropped the most points any team has ever dropped in this series ever. Putting that excitement to the side for a moment, here's what this win means for us and the State of Florida, considering we all finally played the same weekend.

On Us

• I watched a lot of teams play today. Say what you will about our Canes' youth and shortcomings, but we look like a legit Top-10 football team right now. LSU got torced for 600-yds against the pirate and lost. Oklahoma blew it against K-State. Texas allowed 56 points and squeaked out a win against a bad Texas Tech Team. Texas A&M looked bad against Vandy, and barely pulled out the win. Overall, there is not another team in the country that's put up the type of wins we've created over the past three weeks. No doubt, Miami will go into it's match up with Clemson as a Top-10 football team. We'll likely get Gameday for a third time this season.

• I've never seen a Miami team manhandle FSU the way we did tonight. This isn't a game, in the past 15-years, where anyone team has dominated the other consistently. FSU beat Miami bad in 2010 and 2013, but those games only blew open in the second half. We beat FSU last year 27-10, and I considered it the best performance we had against them in years. Today was a once in a generation win, enjoy it.

• You'd be hard-pressed to find areas where we didn't play well tonight. Nevertheless, our WR's dropped some passes and continue to be average at best. Pope muffed another punt, which is a huge problem. The defense also had issues wrapping up from time to time at the point of attack. Nevertheless, we held FSU to 10, played solid red-zone defense, and forced three turnovers. Our guys came to play today.

• Man, D'Eriq King. Guy is at a whole other level, and is definitely going to be in the Heisman conversation all season. At RB Cam Harris, Knighton, and Chaney continue to look great. Chaney really impressed me this game. Even Burns had some great reps.

• Rhett Lashlee was the homerun hire of the CFB offseason. In the turn of a season, he's made us a legit Top-10 offense. Garrin Justice is doing wonders at OL too; guys are way improved from last year.

• Dumb penalties continue to be an issue. If we want a chance at even touching Clemson, we can't commit 80+ yds of penalties.

• FSU is not a good team, yes, but our issue the past few years has been letting bad teams hang around consistently. Especially in a rivalry. Even when we were "good" in 2017 and 2018 (at the start at least) we still struggled against them. Finally, we dominated a team like FSU from start to finish. Great teams impose their will on good/below-average teams.
On FSU
  • I've never, in all my years of watching our rivalry, seen an FSU team as bad as the one that came out today. Not only are they mentally weak, but they've got major holes all over that roster. James Blackmon isn't the type of QB that can play with an OL like their's, and Jordan Travis has limited arm talent and a run-first mentality (which got him injured in the Third). Their RB talent is average at best, and there isn't a WR not named Terry (didn't do anything against us tonight or last year) which would give any DB's a second though. OL is as bad as I've ever seen it, and they don't get any help from the TE's or RB's when they Chip.

• We all remember how bad and inconsistent we've been over the past few years, especially during the 2010s, but we were never as bad as FSU is now. Say what you want, even when they had Jameis, Dalvin Cook, etc. we still fought in those games and were competitive (except 2010 & 2013; even then we fought for three quarters). FSU wasn't there from start to finish, which was shocking to see.

• Mike Norvell has a massive rebuild on his hands. This is a 2-3 year rebuild at best, just to get back to being a 7-8 win football team. Norvell isn't a proven builder, and FSU doesn't have the money to go anywhere else for the next 3-4 years at least. I'd be nervous if I was an FSU fan. This is about the worst start that one of their coaches has ever had. Losing to a 1-2 GT team opening week, and getting torched for 52 against Miami. Right now they're at the bottom of the conference.

• To expand on the last point, Norvell inherited a solid foundation and program from Justin Fuente, at Memphis. He is, by all accounts, a good coach. He is though not a proven builder in any sense. He inherited a consistent 9-10 win program at Memphis and built on that. He rarely ever got over the UCF hump when he was there, and his defenses were lacking. Could he turn the ship around at FSU? Of course he can. Nevertheless, the odds are against him. Right now he doesn't have the right personnel at any position, and FSU has no identity or culture. He's getting worked by Miami and UF in recruiting. They don't have any heart. Even with Randy, and dare I say Golden, you saw some moments early in their tenure's where you thought they could go somewhere. Not with Norvell, at least not two games in. At best they're a 3-win team this year.
On the Gators

• Only thing that could've made tonight better is if we beat UF 52-10 rather than FSU. Nevertheless, I loathe UF Football, but they put up a solid showing today winning 51-35 at Ole Miss.

• Kyle Trask picked apart Ole Miss, to the tune of 6-td's (pretty sure that was the line). UF's offense looked good and had no issues moving the ball against Ole Miss. That TE they have, Pitts, is the real deal.

• Mullen is a solid coach, definitely Top 10 in the country right now at least. This is the year where we'll see if he can transition from a good coach to a great coach. With LSU, looking down, and UGA not looking great against Arkansas (at least through three quarters) they could legitimately only lose one game or go undefeated.

• On defense, they looked bad. Ole Miss got near 600-yds of offense against them. They looked like swiss cheese at times. First-week jitters maybe, but against a team like LSU or UGA, they can't afford to be so inconsistent.
I found UF’s performance yesterday to be very much like our performance against Louisville.
so are their glasses half empty (like many on this board reacted after our win over ‘Ville, or half full like the rest of us on this board.
But no one should be praising UF after their win Who criticized UM after the ‘Ville game (not OP, just saying it on this thread)

You do realize that after they “forced Bowden out” they won a national championship and went to the playoffs a second time, right?
I also realize Bowden built the program. Maybe this is delayed karma but I never said Chumpbo didn't win. I think they were on their way south when he bailed on them but I didn't slam Fisher as a coach. They were struggling no doubt during Bowden's last years but wasn't Fisher the OC and Head Coach in waiting? I think they had to dump Bobby or pay Fisher something.

Bowden announced his retirement -- in what was more of a forced resignation -- Dec. 1 last year, an unceremonious end to his tenure with the Seminoles, which included two national titles, 33 straight winning seasons and a 14-year run of top-five seasons that ended in 2000. The Seminoles were 7-6 last season.

I was baffled when they forced Jimbo out. Their arrogance in thinking they'd just hire another elite college HC, and how vital they are for a programme, made me laugh.
I was under the impression that he just wanted out of that **** show athletic department. Not to mention someone up there banging his wife.

E3A7B523-72B5-4BEA-A77F-E497A8578F35.jpeg

Advertisement
without Dalvin Cook, UM might have beaten FSU in 2014, 15 and 16, or at least two of those years
Undoubtedly. Especially if we had gotten him to Miami. Cook singlehandedly won these games for FSU

Undoubtedly. Especially if we had gotten him to Miami. Cook singlehandedly won these games for FSU
We would’ve definitely won in 2014. I remember that game vividly. We came out firing on all cylinders in the first half. Absolutely collapsed in the second and couldn’t do a thing. Remember Berrios dropped a pass in the end zone early on and thinking we’d regret that.

We would’ve definitely won in 2014. I remember that game vividly. We came out firing on all cylinders in the first half. Absolutely collapsed in the second and couldn’t do a thing. Remember Berrios dropped a pass in the end zone early on and thinking we’d regret that.
Also remember that FSU was driving really late in the second half for the lead, and on third and long we batted one of Jameis’ passes in the air and an FSU receiver caught the deflection and scored.

Nevertheless, even when we had those terrible 6-6/7-5 teams, we gave top ranked FSU teams a run for their money. At least we had heart. FSU has none.

Advertisement
I also realize Bowden built the program. Maybe this is delayed karma but I never said Chumpbo didn't win. I think they were on their way south when he bailed on them but I didn't slam Fisher as a coach. They were struggling no doubt during Bowden's last years but wasn't Fisher the OC and Head Coach in waiting? I think they had to dump Bobby or pay Fisher something.

Bowden announced his retirement -- in what was more of a forced resignation -- Dec. 1 last year, an unceremonious end to his tenure with the Seminoles, which included two national titles, 33 straight winning seasons and a 14-year run of top-five seasons that ended in 2000. The Seminoles were 7-6 last season.
They dumped Bobby because the team had gotten significantly worse during his final few seasons and it was time for a change. As soon as Jimbo took over, we stopped beating them.

They dumped Bobby because the team had gotten significantly worse during his final few seasons and it was time for a change. As soon as Jimbo took over, we stopped beating them.
We did not stop beating FSU because Jimbo took over as the clown was already there. Actually, during all those years we stopped beating a lot of teams.

Like you said above, and I agree with you and it was in my OP, they ran off a legend who is responsible for building their program, for a guy who left their cabinets empty and is now mediocre at A&M. He does have a pretty smile though which makes the 4 losses a year since his early years easier to take.

Did Bowden need to go? Maybe but minus the knife in his back.

We did not stop beating FSU because Jimbo took over as the clown was already there. Actually, during all those years we stopped beating a lot of teams.

Like you said above, and I agree with you and it was in my OP, they ran off a legend who is responsible for building their program, for a guy who left their cabinets empty and is now mediocre at A&M. He does have a pretty smile though which makes the 4 losses a year since his early years easier to take.

Did Bowden need to go? Maybe but minus the knife in his back.
There was no knife in the back. Bowden knew he was being replaced. They literally brought in Jimbo Fisher as "head coach in waiting". Everyone has their run and sometimes people don't know when to hang it up so they need to be nudged. FSU gave Bobby plenty of time to prove he still had the coaching chops but his last 7 seasons, he only won 57 games. Whereas Jimbo Fisher won 78 games and a national championship over the next seven years. It's also not a coincidence that Miami won in 2009 during Bowden's last season and didn't win again until 2017when Jimbo already had a foot out the door headed to Texas A&M.

I've gotta say, we've all been waiting for us to finally give FSU this type of beatdown and get some payback for 1997, 2010, and 2013. Any type of win against FSU is great, but the feeling after this win is unparalleled. Four in a row, and we just dropped the most points any team has ever dropped in this series ever. Putting that excitement to the side for a moment, here's what this win means for us and the State of Florida, considering we all finally played the same weekend.

On Us

• I watched a lot of teams play today. Say what you will about our Canes' youth and shortcomings, but we look like a legit Top-10 football team right now. LSU got torced for 600-yds against the pirate and lost. Oklahoma blew it against K-State. Texas allowed 56 points and squeaked out a win against a bad Texas Tech Team. Texas A&M looked bad against Vandy, and barely pulled out the win. Overall, there is not another team in the country that's put up the type of wins we've created over the past three weeks. No doubt, Miami will go into it's match up with Clemson as a Top-10 football team. We'll likely get Gameday for a third time this season.

• I've never seen a Miami team manhandle FSU the way we did tonight. This isn't a game, in the past 15-years, where anyone team has dominated the other consistently. FSU beat Miami bad in 2010 and 2013, but those games only blew open in the second half. We beat FSU last year 27-10, and I considered it the best performance we had against them in years. Today was a once in a generation win, enjoy it.

• You'd be hard-pressed to find areas where we didn't play well tonight. Nevertheless, our WR's dropped some passes and continue to be average at best. Pope muffed another punt, which is a huge problem. The defense also had issues wrapping up from time to time at the point of attack. Nevertheless, we held FSU to 10, played solid red-zone defense, and forced three turnovers. Our guys came to play today.

• Man, D'Eriq King. Guy is at a whole other level, and is definitely going to be in the Heisman conversation all season. At RB Cam Harris, Knighton, and Chaney continue to look great. Chaney really impressed me this game. Even Burns had some great reps.

• Rhett Lashlee was the homerun hire of the CFB offseason. In the turn of a season, he's made us a legit Top-10 offense. Garrin Justice is doing wonders at OL too; guys are way improved from last year.

• Dumb penalties continue to be an issue. If we want a chance at even touching Clemson, we can't commit 80+ yds of penalties.

• FSU is not a good team, yes, but our issue the past few years has been letting bad teams hang around consistently. Especially in a rivalry. Even when we were "good" in 2017 and 2018 (at the start at least) we still struggled against them. Finally, we dominated a team like FSU from start to finish. Great teams impose their will on good/below-average teams.
On FSU
  • I've never, in all my years of watching our rivalry, seen an FSU team as bad as the one that came out today. Not only are they mentally weak, but they've got major holes all over that roster. James Blackmon isn't the type of QB that can play with an OL like their's, and Jordan Travis has limited arm talent and a run-first mentality (which got him injured in the Third). Their RB talent is average at best, and there isn't a WR not named Terry (didn't do anything against us tonight or last year) which would give any DB's a second though. OL is as bad as I've ever seen it, and they don't get any help from the TE's or RB's when they Chip.

• We all remember how bad and inconsistent we've been over the past few years, especially during the 2010s, but we were never as bad as FSU is now. Say what you want, even when they had Jameis, Dalvin Cook, etc. we still fought in those games and were competitive (except 2010 & 2013; even then we fought for three quarters). FSU wasn't there from start to finish, which was shocking to see.

• Mike Norvell has a massive rebuild on his hands. This is a 2-3 year rebuild at best, just to get back to being a 7-8 win football team. Norvell isn't a proven builder, and FSU doesn't have the money to go anywhere else for the next 3-4 years at least. I'd be nervous if I was an FSU fan. This is about the worst start that one of their coaches has ever had. Losing to a 1-2 GT team opening week, and getting torched for 52 against Miami. Right now they're at the bottom of the conference.

• To expand on the last point, Norvell inherited a solid foundation and program from Justin Fuente, at Memphis. He is, by all accounts, a good coach. He is though not a proven builder in any sense. He inherited a consistent 9-10 win program at Memphis and built on that. He rarely ever got over the UCF hump when he was there, and his defenses were lacking. Could he turn the ship around at FSU? Of course he can. Nevertheless, the odds are against him. Right now he doesn't have the right personnel at any position, and FSU has no identity or culture. He's getting worked by Miami and UF in recruiting. They don't have any heart. Even with Randy, and dare I say Golden, you saw some moments early in their tenure's where you thought they could go somewhere. Not with Norvell, at least not two games in. At best they're a 3-win team this year.
On the Gators

• Only thing that could've made tonight better is if we beat UF 52-10 rather than FSU. Nevertheless, I loathe UF Football, but they put up a solid showing today winning 51-35 at Ole Miss.

• Kyle Trask picked apart Ole Miss, to the tune of 6-td's (pretty sure that was the line). UF's offense looked good and had no issues moving the ball against Ole Miss. That TE they have, Pitts, is the real deal.

• Mullen is a solid coach, definitely Top 10 in the country right now at least. This is the year where we'll see if he can transition from a good coach to a great coach. With LSU, looking down, and UGA not looking great against Arkansas (at least through three quarters) they could legitimately only lose one game or go undefeated.

• On defense, they looked bad. Ole Miss got near 600-yds of offense against them. They looked like swiss cheese at times. First-week jitters maybe, but against a team like LSU or UGA, they can't afford to be so inconsistent.
I watched part of the UF game. Trask is a very good veteran QB who's very comfortable in their offense. However, there was zero pressure on him by the Ole Miss defense. He had all day to throw the ball. I don't think he has half the day he had against a better defense. They have a good team, but IDK how much noise they're going to make this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back