What recruits should know about Shannon...

knuck1952

Recruit
In a group conversation with Shannon at a Canesfest when he was our defensive coordinator, he was asked about playing freshmen. He was adamant about not playing them because they cannot be trusted to carry out their assignments. He went on to say that playing one would be as a last resort. Now that he will be calling the shots at UF I'm guessing his philosophy will remain the same. Conversely our staff is not afraid to put true freshmen on the field and coach them up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Sean spence stated as a freshmen, ray ray armstrong did too... Oliver Vernon... Marcus fortson..

Sean spence stated as a freshmen, ray ray armstrong did too... Oliver Vernon... Marcus fortson..

and they all regressed(outside of Spence) under Shannon too. His inability to develop talent is his biggest problem, and Sam Shields is his biggest example. Had no clue how to play corner, read offenses or even watch film. That kid shoulda been a top 10 pick.

Advertisement
To be fair.. Shields converted to CB and only played there 1 season.

and they all regressed(outside of Spence) under Shannon too. His inability to develop talent is his biggest problem, and Sam Shields is his biggest example. Had no clue how to play corner, read offenses or even watch film. That kid shoulda been a top 10 pick.

Thats not even a bigger inditement of Shannon? He was his head coach for 3 years.....

Advertisement
He's also held in low regard in the LGBTQ+ community after he outed players.

We all remember Randy Shannon's goof before fall practice started when he called Javarris James and Graig Cooper 'Butt Buddies.' We heard all about how they were going to become a great tandem in the backfield and share the load peacefully.

Eye on the U - September 2007 | Miami Herald & MiamiHerald.com

LOL....don't think he meant it that way! Maybe the comment was in poor taste, but don't think that was a comment outing anybody, lmao.. More like they were really good friends lol..

I know he started Anthony Reddick..

Player Bio: Anthony Reddick - University of Miami Hurricanes Official Athletic Site

Technically.... Shannon was his coach for 2 years prior to moving him to CB. Shields was recruited by Coker as a WR and played there in 2006 under Coker. When Shannon took over, Shields was coming off a FR season where he was a Freshman All American. Why move him to Def at this point? So, his Sophomore year he struggled under a new OC (Patrick Nix was pretty awful).

I'm not the biggest fan of Randy Shannon, but to say that Shields lack of development was on him is not fair. At least Shannon saw his potential at CB and moved him there. This ultimately made Shields a lot of $$ in the NFL.

Thats not even a bigger inditement of Shannon? He was his head coach for 3 years.....

Technically.... Shannon was his coach for 2 years prior to moving him to CB. Shields was recruited by Coker as a WR and played there in 2006 under Coker. When Shannon took over, Shields was coming off a FR season where he was a Freshman All American. Why move him to Def at this point? So, his Sophomore year he struggled under a new OC (Patrick Nix was pretty awful).

I'm not the biggest fan of Randy Shannon, but to say that Shields lack of development was on him is not fair. At least Shannon saw his potential at CB and moved him there. This ultimately made Shields a lot of $$ in the NFL.

I'm sorry but this is stupid. He is one of the top CB talents in the world, and yet went undrafted due to his lack of development in college. The kid had zero clue how to even look at film. High school CBs have seen better coaching. Shannon is more responsible for that than anyone else.

I'm not sure he's trustworthy either. I'm pretty sure he said he would kill himself if we went 9-4 and we went 5-7.

I think it's fair to say he doesn't follow through on his promises.

Advertisement
Back