WHAT MIAMI FOOTBALL TEAM IS THE BEST EVER OR YOUR FAVORITE

87 team started by beating #20 Florida, #10 Arkansas (on the road) and #4 FSU (on the road) and then ended by beating #10 Notre Dame, #8 South Carolina, and 1#Oklahoma. Not too shabby.

Advertisement
can't go past 01... insanely loaded when you've got future 1st rounders riding the bench, gg.

It's a toss-up..Our Nat Champ teams plus Jimmy's Us against Penn State in Fiesta, and last but not least, my heavy favorite will be the one without Al and Don'tno as coaches.

Advertisement
My favorite is between the 2000 and 94 team(edge to 2000 because of Santana).....best is.....no reason to state the obvious

1981. Started as a bunch of scrubs and ended the year as good a team as any in the country. The transformation was stunning and had all of us scratching our heads wondering if what we were witnessing was actually happening. Defensively, they went from babies to men. I may be over stating it, but I think it was Schnelly's best coaching job.....

1983 team is not far behind on my list of favorites.

Last edited:
2001 - Not even close - below were the BACK UPs on that team
- Off: Willis M, Kevin Beard, Carols Joseph, Vernon Carey, Frank Gore, Roscoe P, Kellen Winslow
- Def:Vince W, Sean T, Orien Harris, Leon Williams, A Rolle

The glory days were fun bc you waited until the 4th Quarter to see the 3rd Team Unit play...... and you could tell they were looking to move up

Advertisement
The 91 team. I was 7 and my first real Hurricanes memories came from that team. Saw them play twice that year and have been in love with them since.

I love them all. It is some coaches I hate. However, I think my favorite moment was that Cotton Bowl. Endless penalties and still crushed UT at home. UT not some chump team, but UT. Granted we got no NC but still for me it was our proudest moment. Sam's and Foote's reactions sucked raw eggs. They should have defended our boys. I would have tripled my donations had those smucks had come called UT out a girls and challenged them to field a man's team next time. Thill in the tunnel was priceless.

Well said.

Hard to choose. The fight in those 1997-2002 teams was awesome. Watching them grow from the beatings they took to the beatings they gave out was something I'll never forget. From 1997 beating in Tallycrappy to Wideright 3 to the pummeling in Tallycrappy the follwoing year. What an incredible group of young men that was. We had one helluva coach also. I hope our current, new & future Canes are up to a similar task. My support for the kids in the Organge & Green, with the U on the helmet will never waiver. Not the case with the coaching staffs we have seen as of late.

Hurlie is the man. #8 is ALL CANE

Go Canes!

2001 - Not even close - below were the BACK UPs on that team
- Off: Willis M, Kevin Beard, Carols Joseph, Vernon Carey, Frank Gore, Roscoe P, Kellen Winslow
- Def:Vince W, Sean T, Orien Harris, Leon Williams, A Rolle

The glory days were fun bc you waited until the 4th Quarter to see the 3rd Team Unit play...... and you could tell they were looking to move up

Yeah, that's sick. Hard to argue with a team that has those guys as backups.

Advertisement
One that shines in memory* is the team that stomped ND in the Orange Bowl by running up the score with the second and third string. When the national media shills cried Jimmy Johnson said something along the line that our QB's are trained to take what the defense gives you. We had come a long way since that 0-0 score against ND that made us so proud.

Advertisement
I have a soft spot for the '88 team. They finished #2 with basically an 11-0-1 record. Check out these results and where there opponents FINISHED in the rankings (Rankings consisted of 20 teams in '88):
Opponent... Score... Ranking When we Played ...Final Ranking...(Final Record)
FSU 31-0... 1... 3... (11-1)
@Michigan 31-30... 15... 4 ...(9-2-1)
Wisconsin 23-3... nr... nr ...(1-10)
Missouri 51-0... nr... nr (3-7-1)
@ Notre Dame 30-31... 4... 1... (12-0)
Cincy 57-3... nr... nr... (3-8)
@ E. Carolina 31-7... nr... nr... (3-8)
Tulsa 34-3... nr... nr... (4-7) [MENTION=3154]
LSU 44-3... 11... 19... (8-4)
Arkansas 18-16... 8... 12... (10-2)
BYU 41-16... nr... nr... (9-4)
Nebraska 23-3... 6... 10... (11-2)

I look at all of those teams. Big ten, big eight,sec and I recall Danny Sheridans quote. There's Miami,FSU, Notre Dame and the rest. They took a long time recognizing that speed trumps bulk.

2003 was the epitome of horribly coached great teams. 11-2, both loses were chokes to lesser teams, and it was the last time we won the Florida cup. Not to mention a record 6 first rounders on the squad. Probably the last time a collective group of freshman really shines, Tyrone Moss, Ryan Moore, Devon Hester, Greg Threat, and Jon peatite.

2001 is always considered the GOAT, but the team that ended the season just before was on a roll like no other, although a game between that 2000 team and the '88 team would have been epic. They were both ****ed off and would have killed anyone.

Advertisement
Back