What Mario brings

Why
So Oregon didn’t win ten games this year? How about beating OSU?

How about winning a Rose Bowl? A conference championship?

We hired a proven coach whose floor is double digit wins and has two conference championships, three 10+ win seasons, and a Rose Bowl win and all you have is “well he needs to upgrade his S&C program or else we don’t care about winning”

Retire from this board my man. Sunshine and fresh air might give you some happiness from the doom and gloom in your life
Why is everyone falling for this. UM still doesn’t want to win. You’re trusting the admin when 3 months ago no one did.

Advertisement
Almost all truth here, but let’s not act like we outbid Oregon on an even playing field. He took this job mainly due to family and other sentimental reasons. This was not a pure business decision, though I agree he wouldn’t have come without the increased commitments being made
You contradict yourself lol.

You use whatever leverage you got to close the deal. There are always things schools will use that don’t have anything to do with money. It’s called sales lol.

You don’t think USC used the weather and the amenities Riley would have in California versus Oklahoma?

You don’t think ND could match whatever LSU was offering? LSU likely sold Kelly on having a conference championship game and getting the best players within a 300 mile radius without dealing with high academic requirements.

He brings a woefully outdated S&C program that’ll set this program back forever.

I bet the administration didn’t even deman he upgrade it. It’s a clown show. Lol at anyone believing the admin cares about winning.

What Changed the last 3 months? Another Miami hire. So nothing.

Huh? what changed? As far as on the field? Obviously nothing yet. but other things:

1. Now top 10, maybe top 5 for highest paid HC (never happened before at UM, Shannon, Golden, Richt, and Manny were not top 10 and we got what we paid for)

2. Top $ for assistants, rumored to be in the Clemson/tier 1 class.

So what changed? Money. Money has a way of changing lots of things with a trickle down impact.

You are concerned about S&C in this entire thing? We went from Felder to Feely. Feely is an upgrade over Felder but do you think he is some world beater or Mario cannot hire someone at least equal to Feely?

Advertisement
Why

Why is everyone falling for this. UM still doesn’t want to win. You’re trusting the admin when 3 months ago no one did.
Because people with inside info are saying it’s changing and the results are backing that up. We rustled some feathers with Herbie on College Gameday, Soffer was ****ed after the Michigan State game, so what do we do?

We fire our AD. We get BOT members to inject more cash into the program along with some money from UHealth, we poach an AD from a rival school with a serious football program, and we hire a coach from a winning program instead of trying to find the next up and comer.

I mean things can change pretty quickly in the course of three months. The proof is in the pudding. If we had pi$$ed around and hired another HC of a G5 school or a P5 coordinator, I could understand being upset if the due diligence wasn’t done. But we know what we’re getting with Mario. Someone who cut their teeth at a lower program, worked their way up to a P5 HC spot, and has had success in that position as well as some hardware to go with it.

I really don’t understand the doom and gloom aspect here.

Advertisement
Before I start with the hype, let’s be honest about what we’re not getting with Mario.

We’re not getting a QB guru. He signed four blue-chip QBs who don’t play. His starter stinks. And he should have won a Heisman with Herbert.

We’re not getting a schemer. He will rely on staff in an era of coaching turnover.

We’re not getting a reliable gameday coach. Some of Mario's losses bring back memories of Botch Davis.

And we’re not getting an elite CFP coach like Lincoln Riley or Brian Kelly. He hasn’t reached that level.

But we have time to argue about that later. Mario Cristobal just moved us into the modern era without coaching a game. He knew our problems and he knew he had options. With that leverage, he demanded total commitment from the school. Facilities. Recruiting budget. Coach salaries. Athletic director. We, finally, showed the money.

The jokes are over. Oregon is the symbol of college football spending. They changed the game with Phil Knight money. They wanted to keep Mario. They gave him everything he asked for. Oregon still couldn’t outbid Miami. That is a statement to the rest of the sport.

Mario knows the standard. Yes, he knows the Miami Standard as a player. But that’s a memory. Mario knows the championship standard in 2021. He knows what Alabama has. He knows what Oregon has. And he’s in a perfect position to demand all of it from a school swimming in new money.

So what are we paying for? A proven, winning P5 coach. That’s the biggest difference between Mario now and Mario every other time his name came up. This isn’t about Miami ties. This is about wins and losses.

Since becoming a P5 head coach, Mario has won 73% of his games. Here are the names with the highest winning percentages as P5 coaches:

Ryan Day- .892
Lincoln Riley- .846
Kirby Smart- .810
Nick Saban- .804
Dabo Swinney- .803
Jimbo Fisher- .760
Mario Cristobal- .729
Brian Kelly- .702

He didn’t inherit a juggernaut, either. Oregon was 11-14 the two years prior. FIU was 0-12 when he got there. He built them up and took them to back-to-back bowls. And this was despite a third-world athletic department.

We already know about the recruiting. It’s elite. A former Saban assistant told me Cristobal was the best recruiter he had ever seen. He was National Recruiter of the Year as an assistant and he built a recruiting machine as the boss. Top 10 classes and Top 10 draft picks. No head coach is more personally engaged.

We can talk about pretty uniforms, but Oregon recruited worse than Miami before Mario got there. It’s a state full of hikers, not football players. Here at Miami, Mario can recruit the best players in the country and sell the hottest city in the country.

But here’s the most important thing to me: our greatest weakness as a program is Mario’s greatest strength. Florida does not develop offensive linemen in bulk. And the good ones are hard to land out of state. Our South Florida OL routinely outperform our national recruits. That's because when we go out of state, we’re shopping in the bargain bin. We go to Iowa to get Matt Pipho and Zach Dykstra, not the cream of the crop.

Since 2005, Miami has signed five blue-chip linemen from out of state. That’s less than one every three years. Mario himself landed three of them as a Miami staffer. For comparison, Oregon has landed 11 in the past five years alone. Mario’s recruiting profile will change because of geography. He'll land less Polys and more city kids. But he will not sleep until we have lines that can compete with the big boys.

And the truth is, that’s what the modern game is about. We always focus on the passing game becoming more mainstream. But at the CFP level, the real differentiator is the ability to recruit big, athletic monsters. Kirby Smart didn’t build up Georgia by outscheming the next man. They are physically dominant through recruiting and infrastructure. Same with Michigan. Alabama has added the explosive element, but their foundation hasn’t changed. If we want to compete in those games, we need what Mario provides. Conversely, he walks into a situation where his biggest weakness (QB) is the team’s biggest strength.

I’m just ready for a grown-up program. No more cracks about facilities. No more guards doing moonsaults on 4th down. No more Big 10 teams brutalizing us. Miami is finally spending on substance. We aren’t distracting people with shiny chains. This is the first day in a long time that people will take Miami seriously. We're already seeing the hate return. In the end, they’ll fear us.

Go Canes.
Objectivity is lovely.

Before I start with the hype, let’s be honest about what we’re not getting with Mario.

We’re not getting a QB guru. He signed four blue-chip QBs who don’t play. His starter stinks. And he should have won a Heisman with Herbert.

We’re not getting a schemer. He will rely on staff in an era of coaching turnover.

We’re not getting a reliable gameday coach. Some of Mario's losses bring back memories of Botch Davis.

And we’re not getting an elite CFP coach like Lincoln Riley or Brian Kelly. He hasn’t reached that level.

But we have time to argue about that later. Mario Cristobal just moved us into the modern era without coaching a game. He knew our problems and he knew he had options. With that leverage, he demanded total commitment from the school. Facilities. Recruiting budget. Coach salaries. Athletic director. We, finally, showed the money.

The jokes are over. Oregon is the symbol of college football spending. They changed the game with Phil Knight money. They wanted to keep Mario. They gave him everything he asked for. Oregon still couldn’t outbid Miami. That is a statement to the rest of the sport.

Mario knows the standard. Yes, he knows the Miami Standard as a player. But that’s a memory. Mario knows the championship standard in 2021. He knows what Alabama has. He knows what Oregon has. And he’s in a perfect position to demand all of it from a school swimming in new money.

So what are we paying for? A proven, winning P5 coach. That’s the biggest difference between Mario now and Mario every other time his name came up. This isn’t about Miami ties. This is about wins and losses.

Since becoming a P5 head coach, Mario has won 73% of his games. Here are the names with the highest winning percentages as P5 coaches:

Ryan Day- .892
Lincoln Riley- .846
Kirby Smart- .810
Nick Saban- .804
Dabo Swinney- .803
Jimbo Fisher- .760
Mario Cristobal- .729
Brian Kelly- .702

He didn’t inherit a juggernaut, either. Oregon was 11-14 the two years prior. FIU was 0-12 when he got there. He built them up and took them to back-to-back bowls. And this was despite a third-world athletic department.

We already know about the recruiting. It’s elite. A former Saban assistant told me Cristobal was the best recruiter he had ever seen. He was National Recruiter of the Year as an assistant and he built a recruiting machine as the boss. Top 10 classes and Top 10 draft picks. No head coach is more personally engaged.

We can talk about pretty uniforms, but Oregon recruited worse than Miami before Mario got there. It’s a state full of hikers, not football players. Here at Miami, Mario can recruit the best players in the country and sell the hottest city in the country.

But here’s the most important thing to me: our greatest weakness as a program is Mario’s greatest strength. Florida does not develop offensive linemen in bulk. And the good ones are hard to land out of state. Our South Florida OL routinely outperform our national recruits. That's because when we go out of state, we’re shopping in the bargain bin. We go to Iowa to get Matt Pipho and Zach Dykstra, not the cream of the crop.

Since 2005, Miami has signed five blue-chip linemen from out of state. That’s less than one every three years. Mario himself landed three of them as a Miami staffer. For comparison, Oregon has landed 11 in the past five years alone. Mario’s recruiting profile will change because of geography. He'll land less Polys and more city kids. But he will not sleep until we have lines that can compete with the big boys.

And the truth is, that’s what the modern game is about. We always focus on the passing game becoming more mainstream. But at the CFP level, the real differentiator is the ability to recruit big, athletic monsters. Kirby Smart didn’t build up Georgia by outscheming the next man. They are physically dominant through recruiting and infrastructure. Same with Michigan. Alabama has added the explosive element, but their foundation hasn’t changed. If we want to compete in those games, we need what Mario provides. Conversely, he walks into a situation where his biggest weakness (QB) is the team’s biggest strength.

I’m just ready for a grown-up program. No more cracks about facilities. No more guards doing moonsaults on 4th down. No more Big 10 teams brutalizing us. Miami is finally spending on substance. We aren’t distracting people with shiny chains. This is the first day in a long time that people will take Miami seriously. We're already seeing the hate return. In the end, they’ll fear us.

Go Canes.
Been gone long time because I hate censoring but had to drop in to heard about this move. You makes good point about what Mario is not but I pray the one about reminding us of Butch as crappy game day coach is dead right as long as he can remind us of Butch recruiting at THE U.

I think we need another Howard but don't see any out there. I was involved with Howard coming to Miami - from his end- and the $$$ here reminds me of it a little. I am not sure everyone realizes that Howard's deal was very big for those days. Miami put up large as last ditch effort to save football and made big promises which they later reneged on were the real reason he left. I have always been all BBB but that is not happening, so Mario is decent throw of the dice.

Let's hope the dude can get close to Butch's recruiting level and, just as important, his ability to recruit staff and developed players.

Advertisement
And, hopefully, the Turnover Chain and Touchdown Rings are a relic of the past!
Rings have to go but relegate the chains to recruiting visits, pics and edits….

for now, and until our next championship game appearance when it makes an unexpected appearance and the nation and our players go ape ****.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is the first day in a long time that people will take Miami seriously. We're already seeing the hate return. In the end, they’ll fear us.
You GOD**** RIGHT!! because we've been sleeping for a very long time since the "All Canes Conference" BS that we've never accomplished .

Hoping and praying that the Kracken is released to destroy all comers!

Great post, @DMoney

I haven’t been this excited about Miami football in at least 10 years. Saturdays had become punishment. We have been a punchline for so long.

Mario has flaws, but I have no doubt he will build a perennial 10 win program, and from there it will depend on his coordinator hires and landing transcendent players (Dalvin Cook, Amari Cooper, “the guy” at QB, etc).

I’m freaking pumped.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif

Goodbye to the ridiculous jewelry!

Everyone knows Ole Miss has a significantly better S&C program than Oregon. Ole Miss has the Bama “protein shakes” and Mario doesn’t. It was a no brainer not to hire Mario.

And if they hired Mario and didn’t demand he significantly upgrade his broken S&C program then they still don’t care about winning
Look, we get it. You have a crush on Lane, or are you Lane? However, there's a reason Kiffin is still at Ol'Miss and when major HC jobs open up, Mario gets mentioned as a top target far more than red-flag Lane. I'd have accepted either, but Mario is the smarter choice. Get on board or not, but stop your incessant whining and declarations of your lust for Lane.

Advertisement
Back