What is your favorite Cane thing that is personal recollection not common.

The 81 game is up there too. I pick the 79 win due to it being Kelly's first start and he really didn't have the supporting cast that he had in 81. You can argue that Kelly helped to define Miami Swag that day by single handily elevating the team and refusing to lose.
The 80yd Kelly too Brodsky TD in 81 against Penn St was in my opinion the play that truly showed the Nation about UMs capabilities....

Advertisement
JJ defined kickoffs to one side of the field so as to pinch the returner into a narrow space. Worked great and I wondered how a team might defend it. I must add too that JJ always had his best defender on ST's as a safety, that being Bennie Blades. We kicked off to fsu in the OB, a perfect corner kick they received about the 3 yard line and our special teams raced to pin the receiver. Bobby Bowden was prepared and had another receiver on the other side of the field, they passed the ball across to him and he ran for a TD. The ONLY reason it worked was Bennie Blades was dinged up and not on the field. Fortunately we won the game handily so no harm no foul. This same kick off allowed us to clobber WV at WV by either pinning them inside their ten plus a turnover in the first few minutes of the game, we scored at will crushing them that day.

Advertisement
Re: 1994 at Arizona State. 47-10 win. IIRC, the Canes special teams destroyed the ASU KOR twice to cause fumbles Miami recovered inside ASU’s 10 yard line. Might have been been consecutive returns.

Being drunk in the tunnel of the orange bowl yelling obscenities up close with David Klingler. Security guard laughing and moving us along.

My son and I are sitting at the 50 yard line at Duke.

We are getting beat, and he says let's start walking up the steps to take the long trek back to our car, parked among other Canes.
We start walking, and as we are standing and looking back, here comes the return to go down as one of the exciting moments for Canes.
As we walk and stop to look, it is among all the Duke fans already celebrating their win.

We pause, watch, and start getting excited. We are the only ones in that section cheering filled to overflowing with Dukie Blue, , and then the hush comes all over the stadium.
Is it a T/D and will it be allowed.
Looks good to us, and we win.
We look on the jumbo trons, and watch, and cheer louder.

As the Duke fans cuss, and dispute, we stand there. Then the officials go into their checking and video review.
We stand there............, all eyes on us.............. decked out in Canes **** head to toe.
They start cussing and shouting, ( No, foul, No T/D, we win), then the result from the refs.
Score counts, Miami wins, and we start shouting and cheering, then a wave of sound comes across the stadium.....Every Cane fans was at warp decibel, and the sound is one I will never forget. It flowed across the stadium. Cane fans taking to another level.

As we walked out, my son looked at me and said"....We are lucky as ****, did not want to miss that for the world, and yessssssssss we won"...hugging each other and literally raisin' **** as we walked back....

Imprint that will NEVER go away.
Not our MOST famous moment but for me one of the most memorable. Once in a lifetime for a Cane fan, among the enemy.
You got me shedding a tear. That was beautiful.

Advertisement
The 80yd Kelly too Brodsky TD in 81 against Penn St was in my opinion the play that truly showed the Nation about UMs capabilities....
What's amazing about that game and season is how well the offense did with Kelly having so few weapons to work with. At WR, Brodsky and Rodrique had heart but were slow, same thing at RB with Hobbs and Roan.

At 9-2, people don't realize that the 81 Canes were real close to going undefeated. We got robbed on the road at #4 Texas and #16 Mississippi by a bunch of good old boy refs., who kept calling phantom penalties on a ton of chunk plays.

Advertisement
Michael Barrow flying through the Air out of Nowhere to Destroy Penn Sts RB on a 4th and 2 in 1991 for a 2yd loss....Keith Jackson always maintained it was the Best Def play he ever saw....
Do you have a video on this? I can't find it on YouTube. Thanks.

What's amazing about that game and season is how well the offense did with Kelly having so few weapons to work with. At WR, Brodsky and Rodrique had heart but were slow, same thing at RB with Hobbs and Roan.

At 9-2, people don't realize that the 81 Canes were real close to going undefeated. We got robbed on the road at #4 Texas and #16 Mississippi by a bunch of good old boy refs., who kept calling phantom penalties on a ton of chunk plays.
Talked with Tony Fitzpatrick about those games many times...

Advertisement
For me, Canes versus Arkansas 1987. Both ranked top 10 at the time, Canes go up 38-0 at the half. I was surrounded by a sea of red polyester and this old hick turns to me and says, "what is wrong with the Hogs." I tell him, "I think they suck is the problem."

In the 1987 gator game I scalped a ticket and me and a high school coach friend ended up seated in the gator section. One of the gator DB's got hurt and a reserve went in. The reserve made a few plays and each time his Dad got up and announced that was my boy. Shortly after though Mike Irvin gave the kid and inside move and turned up field for a long TD reception. Daddy for got to get up so I did and yelled wasn't that your boy? My coach friend reminded how big Daddy was but it just got quiet as we pulled away and clobbered the gator..

Advertisement
Back