What is your favorite Cane thing that is personal recollection not common.

• Bernard Clark’s late 2nd quarter INT and long run back that setup a TD for a 17-10 halftime lead against ND in 1989. Greatest game ever, after the 1988 game at ND. The 1989 ND game was also on my 25th birthday.

• Jammi German’s two long TD catch-and-runs at Arizona State in 1994. German rarely lived up to his hype but was money on two WR screens from Frank Costa.

• The brawl at State in 1990. I live in LA and a friend who went to SDSU got tickets. I (and everyone) expected a blowout win but Dan McGwire was a beast and the Aztecs would not lie down. Canes were #2, and won 30-28 as a huge favorite. I remember after the brawl cleared and everyone was back on their bench a lone Cane had to jog out to midfield to retrieve his helmet.

• The fake punt run by DJ Williams against FSU in the 2004 Orange Bowl. Canes beat FSU twice in one season. Nole QB Chrissy Rix went 0-5 against Miami.

Advertisement
[QUOTE
  • Jammi German’s two long TD catch-and-runs at Arizona State in 1994. German rarely lived up to his hype but was money on two WR screens from Frank Costa.[/QUOTE]
I was going to pick this one. ASU came out of the tunnel with this flag and came out at center field waving it and then planted it down taunting the Canes. I think first possession German catches the screen and goes 70. Just quieted their stadium.

I have a football embossed with Miami Hurricanes and PUGS written on it. Have no idea who Pugs is, found it at a scrimmage in the OB just laying around. If anyone knows who PUGS is please let me know, this was from the 80's. Obviously not new but worn and I've used it at tailgates.

Advertisement
1988 Catholics vs. Convicts game @ Notre Dame. Went with either the Alum or Hurricane Club as we traveled with both for OOT games. When our bus pulled up, about 6 young ND guys started rocking the bus. The driver opened the door & 3 pretty big guys on our bus exited and chased the six guys, but don't know what happened if//when they caught them. Then, sitting in the end zone our team proceeds to come off the field as they completed their warm up. They stopped & ND guys were behind then & thought our guys had stopped to create trouble and fights broke out all over. It was later determined that our guys had stopped because the ND band was getting ready to come out on the field and were blocking them. Sadly, we lost by 1 pt. = 30 to 31.

All of the above, plus these from way back...

1. Otis Andersen returning a kickoff 100 yards, twice, during the '78 season.
Yes, that Otis Andersen.

2. Jim Burt knocking down a pass on the last play of the game to beat #9 FSU in 1980.
The first time I saw the Canes beat a top 10 team.

My favorite 2 Canes trivia questions:

1. Name the Cane that has the most career kickoff return TD's and has the highest return average for a season,
and
2' Did Jim Burt ever win a Natty while at Miami? Trick question.

1979, Jim Kelly's first start against a loaded Penn State team at Happy Valley. He threw for 300 yds and 3 TDs in a huge 26-10 upset win. This was to me the defining game in program history and set us up for the success which was about to come.

Advertisement
the team getting off the plane in army fatigues in Tempe, AZ, a young kid in Montebello, CA, began to follow this band of lovable rogues.

Also, Michael Irvin beating Ricky Dixon on a skinny post for a TD and celebrating with the west endzone crowd. To me, that visual (pics and video) really capture the moment of what the 80's Hurricanes were, and I imagine captured the spirit of the city at the time

Another very underrated play, Bubba McDowell, zig-zagging and running down Sammie Smith after like a 60 yard run, saving UM some points, and it was pivotal as the Canes made an incredible comeback down 19-3 late into the 3rd quarter. But that play be Bubba was incredible, he gave a second, third and fourth effort and it ended up being pivotal

Carlos Huerta's onside kick against Michigan in the Big House in 1989. The comeback from a 14 point deficit in the final few minutes was incredible (against a very stout Michigan team in Ann Arbor). Everyone in that huge stadium was stunned. Nothing defined Refusing to Lose for me more than that game. The fourth quarter was awesome.

Bernard Clark's INT against ND in the OB. Everyone talks about 3rd & 43 but this was one of my favorite moments in the game. Tiger was a character & the stadium absolutely rocked when he made that INT & ran it back. That night in the OB was awesome from beginning to end.

While it gets more mentions than the ones above, the catch by Shockey against FSU in 2000 was so memorable. It signaled that we were truly back & primed for a great run. After those awful probation years, the return to greatness felt awesome.

That Clark INT was huge, after Miami jumped out to a 10-0 lead, ND had tied it and for a minute, look to have gotten the momentum. IIRC, that pass was a crossing route for Derek Brown(who everyone thought was headed to UM with Daryl Spencer and Hurlie Brown, as high school teammates) and his return set up the TD. Still remember, 3rd and goal from like the 5, and Erickson ran draw to Stephen McGuire for the TD.

Game was Miami's again. To this day, might still be my favorite UM win growing up

1979, Jim Kelly's first start against a loaded Penn State team at Happy Valley. He threw for 300 yds and 3 TDs in a huge 26-10 upset win. This was to me the defining game in program history and set us up for the success which was about to come.
The 81 Win against #1 Penn St was a much more defining Win....Penn St was barely Ranked in 79....

Advertisement
I was at JC Penny's (Dadeland Mall) getting jacket for the UM banquet the year we went to the Rose Bowl and I came out of the dressing room to look in the mirror and Ken Dorsey was standing there in front of the mirror all decked out in his suit.

Good conversation with him , down to earth calm person , couldn't get near him at banquet though.

GOCANES

I was at JC Penny's (Dadeland Mall) getting jacket for the UM banquet the year we went to the Rose Bowl and I came out of the dressing room to look in the mirror and Ken Dorsey was standing there in front of the mirror all decked out in his suit.

Good conversation with him , down to earth calm person , couldn't get near him at banquet though.

GOCANES
Video game junkie at UM...

That Clark INT was huge, after Miami jumped out to a 10-0 lead, ND had tied it and for a minute, look to have gotten the momentum. IIRC, that pass was a crossing route for Derek Brown(who everyone thought was headed to UM with Daryl Spencer and Hurlie Brown, as high school teammates) and his return set up the TD. Still remember, 3rd and goal from like the 5, and Erickson ran draw to Stephen McGuire for the TD.

Game was Miami's again. To this day, might still be my favorite UM win growing up

Sports Illustrated cover shot.

Advertisement
Sports Illustrated cover shot.
1204_large.jpg

It is interesting reading these responses while different instagram pages are doing their brackets of best plays and games. The recency bias or just the number of people who do not realize how huge some of those games were back in the day is astounding.

My son and I are sitting at the 50 yard line at Duke.

We are getting beat, and he says let's start walking up the steps to take the long trek back to our car, parked among other Canes.
We start walking, and as we are standing and looking back, here comes the return to go down as one of the exciting moments for Canes.
As we walk and stop to look, it is among all the Duke fans already celebrating their win.

We pause, watch, and start getting excited. We are the only ones in that section cheering filled to overflowing with Dukie Blue, , and then the hush comes all over the stadium.
Is it a T/D and will it be allowed.
Looks good to us, and we win.
We look on the jumbo trons, and watch, and cheer louder.

As the Duke fans cuss, and dispute, we stand there. Then the officials go into their checking and video review.
We stand there............, all eyes on us.............. decked out in Canes **** head to toe.
They start cussing and shouting, ( No, foul, No T/D, we win), then the result from the refs.
Score counts, Miami wins, and we start shouting and cheering, then a wave of sound comes across the stadium.....Every Cane fans was at warp decibel, and the sound is one I will never forget. It flowed across the stadium. Cane fans taking to another level.

As we walked out, my son looked at me and said"....We are lucky as ****, did not want to miss that for the world, and yessssssssss we won"...hugging each other and literally raisin' **** as we walked back....

Imprint that will NEVER go away.
Not our MOST famous moment but for me one of the most memorable. Once in a lifetime for a Cane fan, among the enemy.

The 81 Win against #1 Penn St was a much more defining Win....Penn St was barely Ranked in 79....
The 81 game is up there too. I pick the 79 win due to it being Kelly's first start and he really didn't have the supporting cast that he had in 81. You can argue that Kelly helped to define Miami Swag that day by single handily elevating the team and refusing to lose.

Advertisement
Back