What is personally your most satisfying regular season win and your most devastating regular season loss all time as a Miami Hurricanes football fan?

Best Win: 2000 FSU (FSU 92 was also a big one though with Andrew etc).
Worst Loss: Probably Washington 94. Pitt 17 was rough. FSU 97 wasn't fun but 99 hurt more.

In my childhood Miami just didn't lose many games.

Advertisement
Win: 1989 Notre Dame game. After the cheat-fest in South Bend the year prior, the 89 game was something all Canes fans wanted more than anything. I flew in from California for this game. That was the single most intense crowd I've ever seen for a sporting event. Canes fans wanted that game badly. Right before kickoff they did one of those quick interviews with ND coach Lou Holtz. He looked around and said, "Have you ever seen a crowd like this?" You could see it in his eyes. He knew.

Loss: 1990 Notre Dame. I was camping up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains (up by Yosemite) with a group of like 40 people from Fresno State. We got up there on Friday morning. A group of us went on a badass mountain bike ride Friday afternoon. Friday night I hooked up with a smoking hot sorority chick. Instead of sticking around for round two on Saturday, I chose to pack up my stuff and head back to town just to watch the Canes-vs- Notre Dame game. And the Canes lost. I later found out that chick hooked up with some frat dweeb on Saturday night. I walked away from round two of some good *** for that game and the Canes couldn't get it done. That kinda sucked.

Last edited:
Most satisfying 2002 FSU. Still the wildest fourth-quarter I’ve ever seen live. McGahee screen, that horse **** 15 yard penalty against no one that kept the FSU drive going, the pass to PK Sam that should’ve been a fumble but was ruled incomplete, Freddy Capshaw’s 3 yard punt, Chris Rix with a no look lob to the middle of the field that somehow found an FSU WR, and then the wide left.

Been so many disappointments but the worst had to be UVA curb stomping us in the last game ever at the OB. Sad to see the old girl go out like that.

Advertisement
Win: Florida State (2000). Had a sideline pass to do photos for a sports marketing company I worked for and got to soak that entire thing up as a fan; running out onto the field with the team as FSU's kick missed (Wide Right III).

Loss: 2003 Fiesta Bowl. Was in same end zone / goal line for Winslow's score as well as the hosed call on Sharpe—opposite end of field from McGahee injury and final incompletion. The drive back from Tempe to San Diego the next morning was the worst hangover of my life; because of the loss. Was back at the team hotel after and it was a morgue. People just shell-shocked how they stole it. The complete opposite of a year prior back at the team hotel in Century City after the Rose Bowl domination of Nebraska.

Best win in the regular season for me was FSU 2000. I am a Denver Broncos fan so it was John Elway-esque with Dorsey driving down the field for the win and them missing the fg wide right again. Miami officially became Miami again.

Worst loss was the 1994 loss to Washington to end the 58 game winning streak. I was blindsided. I just didn’t think it would happen that day. Honorable mentions are the “fumble game vs ND” and “BYU Ty Detmer game”. I was too you for the BC Flutie game but my god that must have torn the *** out of some of you.

Win: 07 Texas A&M on Thursday night, last great night in the OB

Loss: 06 Louisville…got dumped by the girlfriend the night before and then found out the Canes were not going to be reliable moving forward either, wasn’t in a great place. Runner Up: 2015 FSU.

Advertisement
I lived at 119 NW 27ave about 3 blocks from the Orange Bowl from 1985-1998 and I remember watching that 1987 game vs the Leprechauns on CBS as my first real satisfying game en route to a title game. Because I was almost 6 and I understood the game more thanks to Uncle. But my most satisfying is October 7-2000 win vs #1 Semenholes. Most devastating has to be the finally at The Orange Bowl😖😖😖 48-0 vs Virginia. So many memories

My first year of really knowing the team and watching every game has both

Win: 2005 at VT over marcus vick
Loss: 2005 at GT kyle wright forcing that pass to Olsen that was picked off

Reg Season Win. Without question it is the 58-7 beating Miami gave ND in '85. It was funny and a joy listening to Ara and Musberger cry, whine and beg Jimmy to call off the dogs. 🤣

Reg Season Loss. Washington in '94. Ended the home win streak. Streak would have eventually ended but it should have been 63 straight to end the regular season.

Win: Houston '90 or was it '91?

The first real media hype job. The run & shoot was going to run the powerhouse 'Canes out of the OB. Worked right up until the 1st series when our LB's were fast enough to cover their little wr's.

Loss: @ ND '88

Will let you know when I'm ready to talk about it. Seriously.

Advertisement
Regular season…. Best: Miami over FSU 27-24 in 2000, a game that showed we were back. Worst: hail Flutie game.. yes… I was there, and I am really that old.
I was 3 years old when the Flutie game happened, but Ive seen that replay so many times I feel like I was there.

Advertisement
2003 against Florida. What a roller coaster, I didn't see us coming back. This was a hard one to pick, but what a game to be there for.

Loss, it was the way we closed out the OB. It just felt like that was the final nail in our coffin as a program.

Bunch of losses that still sting to think about, most of them mentioned in this thread. The one that sticks out to me is the 99’ game against Penn state. I was younger at the time and was gutted the way they lost at the end.

Favorite for me is easily the 98’ UCLA game. Again I was young, 12 years old, and being at the game and storming the field after is a memory that I’ll be reliving when I’m an old and grey.

Win: Miami at FSU 1991 (Wide Right 1)
Loss: Washington at Miami 1994
PERSONALLY
My most satisfying win was:
2005 UM 27 vs VT 7 - Lil brother Vick was supposed to light up the Hurricanes and the boys went into Blacksburg and shut it down

Most disappointing loss:
1994 Washington 38 vs UM 20 - the game that broke the streak thanks to a drunk Dennis Erickson

Advertisement
Back