What If - Jacoby Brissett signed with Hurricanes

I remember being optimistic and impressed that Alfredo almost nabbed him without any time at all to actually recruit him.

Ignorance was bliss.

Advertisement
Not much. The offense was not the root of the problem for Golden. We actually recruited a lot of good offensive players and produced some solid offenses. But as was mentioned above, Onofrio was the problem, almost entirely.

2011 offense YPP -- 29th, Scoring offense 65th
2012 offense YPP -- 15th, Scoring offense 46th
2013 offense YPP -- 15th, Scoring offense 48th
2014 offense YPP -- 10th, Scoring offense 59th
2015 offense YPP -- 44th, Scoring offense 76th

My point here is, the offenses during that period routinely moved the ball very well. 3 years in a row in the Top 15 in yards per play. But scoring was not great, and the reason is because of our long-endured national nightmare known as the red zone offense. We were routinely in the 90s and 100s in red zone TD % back then. So, does Brissett help with that? Maybe, although I'd argue it was more coaching than anything else. But back to the discussion at hand, overall the offenses were not putrid. The defenses, on the other hand? Big yikes:

2011 defense YPP allowed -- 61st, Scoring defense 18th
2012 defense YPP allowed -- 100th, Scoring defense 86th
2013 defense YPP allowed -- 82nd, Scoring defense 69th
2014 defense YPP allowed -- 17th, Scoring defense 43rd
2015 defense YPP allowed -- 92nd, Scoring defense 84th

So, unless Jacoby Brissett was going to be calling the defense, no, I don't think it would matter very much.

One last point just to make everyone feel even worse, we ran a VERY slow offense during this time period overall. So the offensive PPG is somewhat limited due to possessions, and the defensive PPG is inflated. Less possessions, less plays, less points. So even though those PPGs by the defense aren't the worst in the country (they're close), a lot of it had to do with how slow our games were. BUT THAT BEING SAID, times giving up 30+ points in those 5 years:

TWENTY-SIX. In 5 years.

For comparison's sake, times giving up 30+ points in the 5 years with Diaz here:

FOURTEEN. In 5 years.
Our offenses were okay not good back then, imo. The stats were inflated because thanks to dorito, we were more often than not playing catch up against soft zones. When defenses focused in, we had all sorts of problems scoring in the red zone.

What if Jerry Jones had not purchased the Dallas Cowboys?

Jimmy Johnson stays at Miami, at least for another few NCs.

Late 2010. Miami had lost Teddy Bridgewater to Louisville, and now had a new head coach. Al Golden was scrambling to fill a class that had eroded to two players by Nov 2010. One of his prime targets was QB Jacoby Brissett. Many thought that he would sign with the Hurricanes, but he instead elected to go with the Gators.

So the simple question is this - how does this change the trajectory of Miami of Brissett becomes part of the 2011 class? Jacory Harris would still be the starter in 2010, but how likely is Brissett to beat out Stephen Morris in 2012? And how much more successful would the Canes have been if Brissett was the starter in 2012 - 2013?
I don’t really understamd the question. Stephen Morris was better than Brissett in ‘12 and ‘13. Brissett would have transferred out of Miami or been waiting until ‘14. Kaaya threw for more yards and TDs as a true frosh in ‘14 than Brissett did in his best season.

Advertisement
OTOH, as much as I liked Shannon, I understood his limitations. One of the reasons his budget was so low was that he was not a good fundraiser. He was never comfortable shmoozing with the big money people.

Also the reason he really didn't know many people in the coaching profession and had to hire the disaster that was Patrick Nix.

Have you ever thought what might have happened if Randy Shannon were given a reasonable budget to compete? He tried to hire an up and coming OC named Kevin Sumlin, for example. I forgot the name of his DC choice, but imagine Kevin Sumlin here with Teddy Bridgewater.

OTOH, as much as I liked Shannon, I understood his limitations. One of the reasons his budget was so low was that he was not a good fundraiser. He was never comfortable shmoozing with the big money people.
I wish we were able to have Sumlin as an OC here. And that’s a good point regarding RS. That’s the other side of college football

Not much. The offense was not the root of the problem for Golden. We actually recruited a lot of good offensive players and produced some solid offenses. But as was mentioned above, Onofrio was the problem, almost entirely.

2011 offense YPP -- 29th, Scoring offense 65th
2012 offense YPP -- 15th, Scoring offense 46th
2013 offense YPP -- 15th, Scoring offense 48th
2014 offense YPP -- 10th, Scoring offense 59th
2015 offense YPP -- 44th, Scoring offense 76th

My point here is, the offenses during that period routinely moved the ball very well. 3 years in a row in the Top 15 in yards per play. But scoring was not great, and the reason is because of our long-endured national nightmare known as the red zone offense. We were routinely in the 90s and 100s in red zone TD % back then. So, does Brissett help with that? Maybe, although I'd argue it was more coaching than anything else. But back to the discussion at hand, overall the offenses were not putrid. The defenses, on the other hand? Big yikes:

2011 defense YPP allowed -- 61st, Scoring defense 18th
2012 defense YPP allowed -- 100th, Scoring defense 86th
2013 defense YPP allowed -- 82nd, Scoring defense 69th
2014 defense YPP allowed -- 17th, Scoring defense 43rd
2015 defense YPP allowed -- 92nd, Scoring defense 84th

So, unless Jacoby Brissett was going to be calling the defense, no, I don't think it would matter very much.

One last point just to make everyone feel even worse, we ran a VERY slow offense during this time period overall. So the offensive PPG is somewhat limited due to possessions, and the defensive PPG is inflated. Less possessions, less plays, less points. So even though those PPGs by the defense aren't the worst in the country (they're close), a lot of it had to do with how slow our games were. BUT THAT BEING SAID, times giving up 30+ points in those 5 years:

TWENTY-SIX. In 5 years.

For comparison's sake, times giving up 30+ points in the 5 years with Diaz here:

FOURTEEN. In 5 years.
I appreciate you putting together those numbers, and I'm embarrassed that you had to. Could our offenses have been better? Sure. But were they the problem? Fck no. Anyone who claims that Kaaya or Duke were somehow the issue wasn't paying attention. You have to be a special kind of forgetful to not remember the points those offenses put up and the points those defenses gave up.

We've done this before. Anything, ANYTHING in the Golden tenure was doomed because he insisted on keeping Onofrio to run the D.

You could say "what if..." we somehow magically got our historical best 11 back on D, all back to 22 years old, all with four years of eligibility from being 22. Reed, Lewis, Morgan, Sapp, Brown, Hendricks. All could have played under Golden on D.

And it still wouldn't matter. Because Onofrio's scheme was "see ball, run away from ball."
I only heard stories about this mans defense because I wasnt a fan of college football at that point.

Then I saw and I got Matt Patricia-PTSD. I turned off 30 minutes in because I was so ******* ****ed lol

Advertisement
Have you ever thought what might have happened if Randy Shannon were given a reasonable budget to compete? He tried to hire an up and coming OC named Kevin Sumlin, for example. I forgot the name of his DC choice, but imagine Kevin Sumlin here with Teddy Bridgewater.

The young DC that Shannon identified was Charlie Strong. Imagine Shannon here with Sumlin and Strong coaching Teddy Bridgewater and Amari Cooper.

The young DC that Shannon identified was Charlie Strong. Imagine Shannon here with Sumlin and Strong coaching Teddy Bridgewater and Amari Cooper.
Strong was in the running for the head job here when Shannon was hired. Shannon didn't discover Strong as a DC.

Same thing that would have happened with any kid we tried to jump in the bag game for.. We'd still be digging out from probation.

Advertisement
Late 2010. Miami had lost Teddy Bridgewater to Louisville, and now had a new head coach. Al Golden was scrambling to fill a class that had eroded to two players by Nov 2010. One of his prime targets was QB Jacoby Brissett. Many thought that he would sign with the Hurricanes, but he instead elected to go with the Gators.

So the simple question is this - how does this change the trajectory of Miami of Brissett becomes part of the 2011 class? Jacory Harris would still be the starter in 2010, but how likely is Brissett to beat out Stephen Morris in 2012? And how much more successful would the Canes have been if Brissett was the starter in 2012 - 2013?

I hope that Marvel Comics makes this the next story narrated by Uatu, The Watcher...

1623786272970.png

What if God was one of us?
  • Bags wouldn't matter
  • Evaluations would always be spot on
  • Everyone would develop to their potential
  • Game planning would hit the mark
  • No one would miss assignments
  • Perfect angles would be followed by sure tackles
  • Turnovers would be scheduled to occur on cue
  • Turning points in our games would roll in our direction
  • Players would stay all 4 years with next level guys not getting injured
  • Pope and Wiggins would be sure-handed
If I missed any, feel free to add them.

Advertisement
Ok, I’ll play! We’ve had this discussion on this board at least 15 times, and it would’ve made 0 difference with No’D’nofrio running the D.
Did I do it right? 😂🤣😂

Advertisement
Back