What If - Jacoby Brissett signed with Hurricanes

GojiraCane

All ACC
Late 2010. Miami had lost Teddy Bridgewater to Louisville, and now had a new head coach. Al Golden was scrambling to fill a class that had eroded to two players by Nov 2010. One of his prime targets was QB Jacoby Brissett. Many thought that he would sign with the Hurricanes, but he instead elected to go with the Gators.

So the simple question is this - how does this change the trajectory of Miami of Brissett becomes part of the 2011 class? Jacory Harris would still be the starter in 2010, but how likely is Brissett to beat out Stephen Morris in 2012? And how much more successful would the Canes have been if Brissett was the starter in 2012 - 2013?

Advertisement
We've done this before. Anything, ANYTHING in the Golden tenure was doomed because he insisted on keeping Onofrio to run the D.

You could say "what if..." we somehow magically got our historical best 11 back on D, all back to 22 years old, all with four years of eligibility from being 22. Reed, Lewis, Morgan, Sapp, Brown, Hendricks. All could have played under Golden on D.

And it still wouldn't matter. Because Onofrio's scheme was "see ball, run away from ball."

It was assumed by almost everyone, that he was going to be a TE in college. He wanted a shot at QB, but everyone thought he was a more natural pass catcher than thrower. He wasn’t UF’s first choice even when he was on their bench. He proved everyone wrong. I remember the night he committed. I had dinner plans with a gator friend. He was thrilled to grab him and that was the topic of discussion for a good part of the evening. Jeff Driskel was the highly rated recruit and assumed “real” QB in that class.

Morris's name isn't going to come up when talking about QB U but he didn't have a bad career at UM and certainly wasn't the reason we never took the next step under Golden. The D was the crux of our issues. Morris was milking that ankle injury for most of his Sr. year IIRC and it definitely hindered his accuracy, but overall he had a decent career. Maybe we enjoy a bit more success with Blisset, maybe not. It was going to take **** near a generational QB to overcome that defense.

Late 2010. Miami had lost Teddy Bridgewater to Louisville, and now had a new head coach. Al Golden was scrambling to fill a class that had eroded to two players by Nov 2010. One of his prime targets was QB Jacoby Brissett. Many thought that he would sign with the Hurricanes, but he instead elected to go with the Gators.

So the simple question is this - how does this change the trajectory of Miami of Brissett becomes part of the 2011 class? Jacory Harris would still be the starter in 2010, but how likely is Brissett to beat out Stephen Morris in 2012? And how much more successful would the Canes have been if Brissett was the starter in 2012 - 2013?
Have you ever thought what might have happened if Randy Shannon were given a reasonable budget to compete? He tried to hire an up and coming OC named Kevin Sumlin, for example. I forgot the name of his DC choice, but imagine Kevin Sumlin here with Teddy Bridgewater.

OTOH, as much as I liked Shannon, I understood his limitations. One of the reasons his budget was so low was that he was not a good fundraiser. He was never comfortable shmoozing with the big money people.

Advertisement
Ill tell ya what would've happened. He comes to UM he would not have stuck around the nfl for as long as he has

Advertisement
There are a few what-ifs out there, such as:

1) What if Sinorice Moss and Devin Hester return for their senior seasons? Miami's downfall in 2006 is wide receiver depth. With those two, Miami gets by most of the games that they lost. Coker survives
2) What if Larry Coker sealed the deal with Vince Young?
3) What if Brad Kayaa returns in 2017?

Quarterback play and offense in general wasn’t Golden’s downfall. Stephen Morris was probably a better college QB than Brissett

There are a few what-ifs out there, such as:

1) What if Sinorice Moss and Devin Hester return for their senior seasons? Miami's downfall in 2006 is wide receiver depth. With those two, Miami gets by most of the games that they lost. Coker survives
2) What if Larry Coker sealed the deal with Vince Young?
3) What if Brad Kayaa returns in 2017?

If Kaaya returns we lose more games from him finding ways to choke games

Advertisement
Have you ever thought what might have happened if Randy Shannon were given a reasonable budget to compete? He tried to hire an up and coming OC named Kevin Sumlin, for example. I forgot the name of his DC choice, but imagine Kevin Sumlin here with Teddy Bridgewater.

OTOH, as much as I liked Shannon, I understood his limitations. One of the reasons his budget was so low was that he was not a good fundraiser. He was never comfortable shmoozing with the big money people.
What if instead of promoting Shannon to replace Coker, the Canes were the ones who hired Saban away from the Dolphins?

Not much. The offense was not the root of the problem for Golden. We actually recruited a lot of good offensive players and produced some solid offenses. But as was mentioned above, Onofrio was the problem, almost entirely.

2011 offense YPP -- 29th, Scoring offense 65th
2012 offense YPP -- 15th, Scoring offense 46th
2013 offense YPP -- 15th, Scoring offense 48th
2014 offense YPP -- 10th, Scoring offense 59th
2015 offense YPP -- 44th, Scoring offense 76th

My point here is, the offenses during that period routinely moved the ball very well. 3 years in a row in the Top 15 in yards per play. But scoring was not great, and the reason is because of our long-endured national nightmare known as the red zone offense. We were routinely in the 90s and 100s in red zone TD % back then. So, does Brissett help with that? Maybe, although I'd argue it was more coaching than anything else. But back to the discussion at hand, overall the offenses were not putrid. The defenses, on the other hand? Big yikes:

2011 defense YPP allowed -- 61st, Scoring defense 18th
2012 defense YPP allowed -- 100th, Scoring defense 86th
2013 defense YPP allowed -- 82nd, Scoring defense 69th
2014 defense YPP allowed -- 17th, Scoring defense 43rd
2015 defense YPP allowed -- 92nd, Scoring defense 84th

So, unless Jacoby Brissett was going to be calling the defense, no, I don't think it would matter very much.

One last point just to make everyone feel even worse, we ran a VERY slow offense during this time period overall. So the offensive PPG is somewhat limited due to possessions, and the defensive PPG is inflated. Less possessions, less plays, less points. So even though those PPGs by the defense aren't the worst in the country (they're close), a lot of it had to do with how slow our games were. BUT THAT BEING SAID, times giving up 30+ points in those 5 years:

TWENTY-SIX. In 5 years.

For comparison's sake, times giving up 30+ points in the 5 years with Diaz here:

FOURTEEN. In 5 years.

He also tried to hire Dirk Koetter but had to settle for Whipple because Miami refused to pay.

Advertisement

He sure didn't and recognized how much of a sleazeball Nevin was/is. That pic of the munchkin holding the check at the bowling alley is priceless.
1616019030857.png

Besides the fact that Shannon couldn't motivate His teams to play and His teams always seemed physically weak, Shannon's tenure was plagued by turnovers...116 TO's in Shannon's 4 years here.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say those TOs took away TDs, that means we left 812 points on the field...that's astounding.

Last edited:
We've done this before. Anything, ANYTHING in the Golden tenure was doomed because he insisted on keeping Onofrio to run the D.

You could say "what if..." we somehow magically got our historical best 11 back on D, all back to 22 years old, all with four years of eligibility from being 22. Reed, Lewis, Morgan, Sapp, Brown, Hendricks. All could have played under Golden on D.

And it still wouldn't matter. Because Onofrio's scheme was "see ball, run away from ball."
This.

As bad as Enos was in his one year here... we had a HC who axed his bad decision year one salary be damned and swapped.

May no one forget we had to watch that pitiful excuse of a coach walk and instruct our defensive guys for 5 years

Advertisement
Back