What if Butch Davis would've stayed at Miami? (Article)

Yep.

That's why our OL was a sieve towards the end of his era.

It made the Alabama defense look like the '85 Bears against us in whatever year that Sugar Bowl was - '93 I think.

Their defense was solid - but not quite as good as it looked.

Though it's an interesting anomaly that 3 of our HOFers came in during his time - Kennedy, Sapp and Lewis.

How Ironic......After JJs kids left UM at end of 92.....Recruiting fell Drastically....Sure we got a couple of Gems....But its a known fact Erickson HATED recruiting....

Advertisement
Loved and appreciated what Butch did here but the assumption he would have kept this thing rolling into some kind of long term dynasty is very unrealistic.

He never again enjoyed that kind of success at any level and outside of Saban and maybe Meyer, not a single coach or program has been able to do long term what some here are guaranteeing to be a certainty.

The refs had to make that call against ND.

After all, it's not a rivalry if the other team never beats us.

I think Kelvin Harris said something like that, too in one of the 30 for 30s about us.

And lost more big games than anyone wants to remember. We SHOULD have won the title in 85, 86, and 88. In 88 he should have called a timeout to get the refs cleared up at ND. They gave the ball to ND on downs, not on a fumble. They were incorrect thinking it was 4th and goal. It was not. Had JJ called a timeout they could have worked it out. HUGE mistake on his part not doing everything in his power to get them to get it right. Heck, even the officials came out after the game and said they made the wrong call, that it should have been Miami's ball 1st and goal at the one. I kept the newspaper clipping until it fell apart. I'll never forget it.

On this board...my only out is to have someone who not only Loved Butch...but played for him...@Brooklyndee...
Ask Art Kehoe bout Butch...
Ask Chuck Pagano bout Butch...
Ask Rob Chudzinski bout him
Ask Don Soldinger about him
Ask Curtis Johnson about him
Ask JJ about him
Ask the 17 1st rounders about him
Ask Butchs Secretary (Myrna) about him
I could go on and on......

Loved and appreciated what Butch did here but the assumption he would have kept this thing rolling into some kind of long term dynasty is very unrealistic.

He never again enjoyed that kind of success at any level and outside of Saban and maybe Meyer, not a single coach or program has been able to do long term what some here are guaranteeing to be a certainty.
WHAT??....The Epitome of total Retardation
No success as the BEST DL coach in america from 84-88??? contributing HEAVILY on the 87 NC
No success at Dallas with 2 SB Rings??
No success at UNC....a predominantly BB school??
Just stop it...or atleast up the medication.

Advertisement
The refs had to make that call against ND.

After all, it's not a rivalry if the other team never beats us.

I think Kelvin Harris said something like that, too in one of the 30 for 30s about us.

Man, they were confused on that play. I honestly don't think they TRIED to ***** us, because had they done that they would have never come out and said they made a huge, game altering mistake. JJ should have called a timeout, then laid down on the line of scrimmage until they figured out the previous down and distance.

On this board...my only out is to have someone who not only Loved Butch...but played for him...@Brooklyndee...
Ask JJ about him
Gary Collins, the equipment guy? Can we ask him, too? :eek:)

Yep.

It made the Alabama defense look like the '85 Bears against us in whatever year that Sugar Bowl was - '93 I think.

Though it's an interesting anomaly that 3 of our HOFers came in during his time - Kennedy, Sapp and Lewis.
E.X.A.C.T.L.Y

Ask JJ about him

That's interesting considering I hear just the opposite from people... Hmmmm

Advertisement
**** the 1999 team was way more talented than the 2017 team and they lost to East Carolina and got housed at Va Tech.

Agree with youu here, that 99' team should've finished 11-2, PSU & ECU were very winnable games. But despite all that, to me that FSU game showed that we were closing the gap.

Yep.

That D-Line at Bama was All World...Curry and Copeland FEASTED all game....Erickson let ****** Gene Stallings COMPLETELY out coach him....Crappy OL....facing The two BEST DLmen in America....and your Alcoholic *** has a 160lb RB protecting Torretta??....LoL...not to mention...there were times where Conley lined up at TB...only to split out wide...leaving Torretta all alone with an Atrocious OL in front of him....Smfh....

No success as the BEST DL coach in america from 84-88??? contributing HEAVILY on the 87 NC

When you get past the name calling you’ll see I said since. At the end of it all Butch won eight games for three straight seasons at UNC and has had one 10 win season as a head coach in his entire career. Yes, he was a phenomenal talent evaluator, but I also sat through a lot of mistake filled game days as well.

I’m not saying he would not have had long term success here, but the dynasty thing is a much different animal.

Advertisement
Interesting, but I understood you to argue he had some sort of coaching eye for talent. As if he saw what others failed to see or had not seen. Like Hayden Fry. That’s an eye for coaching talent.

Opinions will differ, but I am not blown away by that list. Seems to me the “best” have proven to be Shiano and Pagano, with Sol already an established commodity.

Again, Butch for player talent evaluator, and thanks to him for bringing us back, but be realistic about what he was.
Right on in your assessment of the coaches.

When you get past the name calling you’ll see I said since. At the end of it all Butch won eight games for three straight seasons at UNC and has had one 10 win season as a head coach in his entire career. Yes, he was a phenomenal talent evaluator, but I also sat through a lot of mistake filled game days as well.

I’m not saying he would not have had long term success here, but the dynasty thing is a much different animal.
He would have DESTROYED it at UM from 2001 onward...only an imbecile would think otherwise...

Advertisement
Who off that list??...Please tell me...don't make a statement (like you did to no end yesterday) without showing some facts....

I didn't say off that list and I have no intentions of putting someone's opinion of Davis on this site, that's up to them.
What statement did I push to "no end" yesterday, do tell?

Who off that list??...Please tell me...don't make a statement (like you did to no end yesterday) without showing some facts....

Lol how ironic for you to say that. Still waiting on the plethora of 2017 guys that would’ve been starting on the 99 team.

I didn't say off that list and I have no intentions of putting someone's opinion of Davis on this site, that's up to them.
What statement did I push to "no end" yesterday, do tell?
Insinuating that I was a Liar....Ya know...Your sly remark about it being Dan Sileo-ish....Which I'm cool with....My home is in Downtown Orlando (ColonialTown) ANYTIME you want to insinuate that I'm a Liar about ANYTHING I posted yesterday...whether its Memorabilia...Players I know...etc....P.M me....I'll be MORE than happy to give you my address, so we can put this to rest.....NEVER question someones Integrity...before finding out for yourself...

Advertisement
Back